PDA

View Full Version : Tire inflation

spannersatcx
14th Oct 2000, 18:21
When changing a main wheel our co proc is to inflate once secured on axle. To prevent hub seperation in case of hub/tyre failure. Is this a sop or a CAA/Manufatures recommendation. As recently I've seen a particular airlines maint people inflating tires outside of their office, does this pose a problem to those walking/driving past, is it legal? Your thoughts etc would be appreciated.

redtail
14th Oct 2000, 19:03
For us, if the wheel isn't on an axle, it should be inflated in a cage. The thinking is to minimize excitement. I hate excitement.

Ever see a new guy try to remove all of the wheel bolts during a tire change? Luckily it takes a long time to accomplish.

Whot_no_tug
14th Oct 2000, 20:38
Should be in a cage but at some companies I have worked at, it was normal to keep 2 nose & 2 main at working pressure.
It came from some of the older aircraft wheels seperating when being inflated but with current NTD it is not a problem. If there is a crack in the rim, it will let rip on of off the aircraft & the wheel should have been up to working Px in the shop during leak check.

As always working practices change at base when facilities are available & when on an AOG rescuse, as do acceptable lmits.

near enuf is good enuf
14th Oct 2000, 20:43
If you knew some of the guys that I work with, I think you would agree that it is them that should be in the cage. :) :) :)

gas path
14th Oct 2000, 20:50
B.A. ALL wheels will be supplied inflated to nominal pressure.
It is fairly normal at some line stations to inflate wheels ready for use as getting hold of nitrogen when you need it is not always easy.

Bus429
14th Oct 2000, 20:53
Spanners,

Your neighbours do it for expediency.

BTW, any news from your superiors? Email me at work.

------------------
Bus429 - the pilot's pal!

lame
15th Oct 2000, 13:17
Spanners,

What you say has always been standard practice in Australia, also should always reduce pressure prior to loosening wheel nut on old wheel. It had always also been the practice here that any wheel being transported by air, ie to an outstation must be at reduced pressure, however this has been changed now, and servicable wheel assemblies may be transported at operating pressure, unserviceable wheel assemblies must still be deflated prior to transport, I guess this is due to improved wheel standards.

Regards,

"lame"

[This message has been edited by lame (edited 15 October 2000).]

Mice
15th Oct 2000, 13:45
LAME,
What a load of garbage, you do not know what you are talking about! It is NOT std practice to do this in Australia, only company practice.
In fact the tyre and wheel manufacturers have no problem with wheels being stored at working pressure as I have them asked this myself. BA, QF, PX, MH et al all store wheels at working pressures! They are even checked for pressure weekly in the QF system in BNE for example.

This practice was the case many years ago when wheels had a nasty habit of going bang in the night, however it is so long since you have been near any work in this area, you would not be aware of the changes.

snapon
15th Oct 2000, 14:33
Mice.

You obviously spoke to the cleaner at the OEM then. All aircraft tyres must be deflated prior to removal, even after tyre cx or O/H they are pressure tested for pressure retention and carcass stretching then reduced to a safe pressure for transportation.

Why do wheel shops NDT bolts and hubs? Corrosion, if the axle nut is holding it all together and a couple of bolts are weakened, the pressure on them, once axle nut is removed, is going to expel the nut and bolt with some force. If hub goes then dare you to stop it...

I have had to stem the blood flow from an arm pit that has the arm removed by a 1/4 of said hub a pat on the back from medics but the bloke is now sh*t scared of going anywhere near any wheel. It brought home graphically to me how important reading and obeying manufactures instructions are.

Fancy a wheel seperating at high pressure whist in a hold at 30.000 ft, bet pax would not be impressed with rapid de-compression, who do you work for in AU?

------------------
U want it when?

spannersatcx
15th Oct 2000, 19:36
Bus429, sorry I haven't got back sooner been a bit busy, nothing from on top I'm afraid. Was at work this morning a bit of a tech delay, but I've got to go back at 2am for an off schedule freighter, have they got a schedule?, will mail from work

lame
15th Oct 2000, 23:49
Mice,

Nice to see you haven't changed.

Everything I said WAS true.

If you haven't got anything nice and/or constructive to say, PLEASE go to Jet Blast.

Mice
18th Oct 2000, 04:01
Snapon,
To clarify, I was only referring to the practice of inflation to working pressures for storage and prior to installation.

I did not refer to removal practices, because this is generally covered in the MIM, and most require you to release the pressure prior to removal. I have not worked on a large aircraft where this is not the case.

As for LAME, my experience with his work practices would unfailingly lead me to believe he does not practice what he preaches. In fact, he is not correct as I originally stated, the storage inflation pressures are operating pressures, and they are determined by company policy here in Aus.

Snapon, I suggest you ask Goodyear if they see a need to rack the wheels at reduced pressure. I have, and they do not. It is up to the QA department to promulgate company policy. A previous company I was with even flew their flight spares around at full working pressure, again advised by the manufacturer. The reason I know this, is that I complained when I found one at full working pressure they got clarification from the manufacturer and sent it to me, on the manufacturer's letterhead!

------------------
When all else fails, read the manual!

snapon
18th Oct 2000, 23:53
Mice

Having worked in a wheel/tyre and brake O/H shop here in UK, Dunlop, Bendix, BFG, Messier Bugatti and tyre manufacturers Dunlop, Michellin and Bridgestone all advocate in manuals that tyres be pressure tested over 24 hour period with a % of pressure loss, or dip test after 1 hour. Then reduce them to 30/40 psi for storage and transportation.

Removal from axle:- ensure core is removed once jacked up. Reason being bolt failure.

snapon
18th Oct 2000, 23:54
Mice

Having worked in a wheel/tyre and brake O/H shop here in UK, Dunlop, Bendix, BFG, Messier Bugatti and tyre manufacturers Dunlop, Michellin and Bridgestone all advocate in manuals that tyres be pressure tested over 24 hour period with a % of pressure loss, or dip test after 1 hour. Then reduce them to 30/40 psi for storage and transportation.

Removal from axle:- ensure core is removed once jacked up. Reason being bolt failure.

SchmiteGoBust
19th Oct 2000, 18:46
Mice and lame appear to know each other here, but do not appear to be best of friends!!!!

Mice
19th Oct 2000, 19:18
Yes Snapon, this storage method may be the case there at the manufacturers, but Spanners original post was asking the situation from other locales, and I can assure you that company policy may have the storage done differently elsewhere.

I am not defending either method, as I comply with the rules promulgated at the time whatever they may be, provided I consider they are not going to be harmful.

I just took offence that lame decided he knew the situation, when this was not the case in the companies I had dealings with. The airline he last worked for may have stored wheels that way, but not all here do.

snapon
19th Oct 2000, 23:15
Mice

No offence taken , just joining in .

------------------
U want it when?