PDA

View Full Version : Woomera's Personal Hack??

Woomera
16th Aug 2005, 12:58
Need to build jet time?? Need a cheap hack with real GO? Or just looking for a personal executive machine??

Then PPRuNers Dunnunda – here’s your perfect answer:

Korean Times

A Supersonic Fighter for Just $100?

By Ryu Jin
Staff Reporter

(Translation)

South Korea is to sell supersonic fighters at $100 (101,000 won) per jet. It may be hard to believe, but itˇ's no lie. The fighter jets to be sold at such a giveaway price are F-5A/Bs, which are being retired from their 40-year-long service this month.

The Ministry of National Defense and Korea Aerospace Industries (KAI) said Sunday they considered selling the retired aircraft, which opened the era of supersonic fighters for the Korean Air Force in 1965, to foreign nations including Mexico and Poland.

"We have about 50 F-5A/B fighter jets at the moment, half of which are used for educational and demonstrational purposes. The ministry will consider selling the remaining half to foreign nations at $100 per unit, a KAI official said. "Itˇ's a nominal price."

He hinted that the virtual donation is part of a sales strategy to export KT-1 and T-50 supersonic trainers developed and produced by KAI to the foreign nations. "We have also sold F-5A/B fighters to the Philippines at $100 each in the past."

It is customary for a country to sell outdated military arms at a token cost, a ministry official said. But the source added that the export requires prior consent from the nation that manufactured the weapons. The F-5A/B jets were made in the United States.

South Korea purchased about 120 F-5A/B fighter jets in the late 1960s. They became the mainstay of the Air Force and played a leading role in thwarting espionage agents from North Korea until the 1970s.

Wouldn’t a personal F5 be just the greatest fun you could have with your pants on? I suggested to Danny that we should acquire a few on a Woomera salary sacrifice??

I'm still waiting - hopefully - for Danny's answer........ :ugh:

Woomera

swh
16th Aug 2005, 13:12
http://www.aeronautics.ru/f5atiger.jpg

Woomera
16th Aug 2005, 13:36
Is this sexy or what?

http://www.thebattlezone.com/models/modelpix/b3840f3w.jpg

DeBurcs
16th Aug 2005, 18:44
No wonder they're so cheap, they don't come with main gear...

I saw those red and white F-5s at Gallipoli 7 or 8 years ago. The Turkish All-Stars do a bit of a demo in the afternoon during the service for the 57th Regt.

The Voice
16th Aug 2005, 19:49
Is this sexy or what umm .. methinks you (and you and you) doth need to get out more ;)

sir.pratt
16th Aug 2005, 20:12
maybe aunty helen should brush up on her korean :)

Woomera
16th Aug 2005, 23:07
Or offer the A4's at $99 each with a bonus set of steak knives.....

:}

Northern Chique
17th Aug 2005, 00:47
Spends a few seconds calculating how much to fly one back to darwin... noise regs tries to think of all the sensible reasons I shouldnt buy one...

Oh stuff it! That would be effin awesome!

Woomera
17th Aug 2005, 00:59
Talking of sexy hacks........ prior to the Shuttle landing a TV news item showed the high altitude interception aircraft, a "WB-57" with enormous engine intakes. Thought it looked familiar so Googled - turned out to be a modified Canberra bomber!!!:p

Heard recently even the Aussie built, Avon powered Canberras could reach 60,000 feet!!

Bad medicine
17th Aug 2005, 01:01
Until recently (maybe still) the Brits were using Canberras for high altitude photo work.

Avgas and Fanta
17th Aug 2005, 03:13
They still use em. I think the plan is to retire them late next year now.

Pinky the pilot
17th Aug 2005, 11:21
Now if someone were offering F104 Starfighters for $100 (and b****r the steak knives) I'd even put Mrs Pinky on the street for one of those!!:ok: :ok:

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

CoodaShooda
17th Aug 2005, 23:42
SPECIFICATIONS (F-5A)
Span: 25 ft. 10 in.
Length: 47 ft. 2 in.
Height: 13 ft. 6 in.
Weight: 20,576 lbs. loaded
Armament: Two 20mm cannons, rockets, missiles and 5,500 lbs. of bombs externally
Engines: Two General Electric J85s of 4,080 lbs. thrust each with afterburner
Cost: $756,000

PERFORMANCE
Maximum speed: 925 mph.
Cruising Speed: 575 mph.
Range: 1,100 miles
Service Ceiling: 50,700 ft.

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/research/fighter/f5a-4.jpg

$100 seems a good bargain. Could base a couple at MKT or Batchelor :E

Although the missus wants the F-5B so she can continue her role as back seat driver :rolleyes:

Starts with P
18th Aug 2005, 00:57
Aren't those pictures of MiG's? Paint them black and 'viola'! Instant bad guy aeroplanes.

Howard Hughes
18th Aug 2005, 02:59
Aren't those pictures of MiG's? Paint them black and 'viola'! Instant bad guy aeroplanes.
Of course your bad guy must have a mirrored visor too!!;)

PS: I got 50 bucks, anyone wanna go halves...

PSS: I've got 100 bucks and I'll still go you halves. I'll buy the plane ... you buy the gas.....??

:E

Woomera

Woomera
18th Aug 2005, 05:37
That's not a hack, THIS a hack.http://sovereign.cessna.com/wallpaper/center_photo_07.jpg some Woomeras taste is all in their mouth you know :}

That's me fourth window back selecting the year for the Grange whilst sipping a cold bone dry Cristal.:cool:

CoodaShooda
18th Aug 2005, 06:52
You can get one of them for $100???

I'm impressed!

The (buying) power of a moderator I guess :{

Pinky the pilot
18th Aug 2005, 10:26
whilst sipping a cold dry cristal
I say Woomera; Cristal?? Prefer a '68 Dom Perignon m'self!:ok:
Although a bloke who goes by the name of Sean Dillon prefers Krug non vintage I hear.:E
As for the Grange; over hyped and over priced!:*

you're born. Once when

Woomera
18th Aug 2005, 12:00
As for the Grange; over hyped and over priced! 'tis but I got a bit carried away and overbought the '79 some years ago and I'm having trouble getting through the dozen dozen cases before it goes over the hill.

Someones gotta do it.:)

The altitude doesn't help which is why I have my pilots plan a sea level cabin alt during meal times.:}

Eeeerm '69 Dom doesn't travel too well at altitude best sipped from the navel of your beloved on a hot summers night.:E

Pinky the pilot
19th Aug 2005, 02:51
Wot??Woomera, you having trouble getting rid of the Grange? I can think of a few Ppruners who would volunteer to assist in this obviously arduous chore.
Capt Claret, Sir Shiraz and myself for starters!:ok:
Feel free to send a bottle of the oversupply my way at any time.
sipped from the navel of your beloved
Kin.....ky!!!!!!!:E

you're born. Once when

kiki
23rd Aug 2005, 17:49
geee Big W.................. How does one have fun with pants off?

its a wonder what a few drinks does to a person at 3am.. cheers..

Capt Claret
24th Aug 2005, 04:17
hic .... yep, I'm up for it Pinky.

Fancy taking a drop with an esteemed Woomera, or perhaps, Woomerai! :}