PDA

View Full Version : Maths for Observers and Pilots??

wannabewingman
15th Aug 2005, 21:25
Hi there Guys,

Sorry for another wannabe question but was getting kind of stuck and though it would be better to ask.

I've finally got a date in Septmber to go for the aptitude tests for Observer and Pilot in the Navy and was wondering if anyone could reccomend anything to read with regards to practising the kind of aircraft related speed/distance maths reasoning problems that will be in the aptitude tests.
I've not done any maths since at school about 6 years ago and feel this is an area I will struggle in without practice.

I've scoured round the internet and found nothing usefull so any hint/tips or advice would be gladly appreciated?

Thanks , WW

dopeonarope
15th Aug 2005, 22:08
If you can't find this info how do you expect to find OASC;)

http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=126284&highlight=fractions

Hoist to crew winching over and I hope not out!

DaveyBoy
15th Aug 2005, 22:58
If you can't find this info how do you expect to find OASC
Au contraire! In getting someone else to do the work for him at this early stage, WW displays the potential for a long and illustrious career in the Officer Corps :ok:

Best of luck with it,

d

dopeonarope
16th Aug 2005, 17:07
DaveyBoy,

Damn guess I fell for that old officer trick of getting everyone to do the work for them, WW good luck with it all.

Hoist to cre winching over and OUT

DICKY the PIG
17th Aug 2005, 14:17
WW,
You only need to be able to count to one.
Look behind you and if you can count "one flight engineer" you can relax, because you're in safe hands.:ok:
Obviously, I am the exception to that rule, but shh don't tell my pilots!:p

BobC
20th Aug 2005, 15:20
There is a reportedly very useful book "Mathematics for Aviation" produced as a primer for rusty souls about to embark on ATPL groundschool. I haven't seen it myself, but others rave about it. It's available from the author, Baz Hamblin – to order, send a cheque for £18.50 payable to Rhema Development Ltd, 12 High Street, Axbridge, Somerset BS26 2AF. The price includes postage within UK

cazatou
20th Aug 2005, 19:30
A little attention to "SPELLING" and "PUNCTUATION" might not go amiss either.

Devil's Aardvark 8
20th Aug 2005, 20:05
Bob C is right!!

I have been an instructor for about 10 years of my RAF life. Take a look at 'Mathematics for Aviation'. The way I think of it is that it puts you in the right frame of mind. Think of distance in minutes and fuel in distance. The important thing is to practise the skills that you already have. Familiarity is the key to finding mental arithmetic easy. The more you do it, the more you will find the same numbers cropping up time and again. Trust me, work at it and the right answer will start to drop out of your mind before you have had time to work through the answer. If you are driving at 45 mph and have 24 miles to go to Wrexham then work out what time you will get there. Don't advertise the fact that you are a maths biff, just work at it solidly and, I promise you will be OK. I found that having mental maths sorted out was the biggest capacity liberator going. If you are still struggling then get in touch.