PDA

View Full Version : Rating falcon 900

dboy
15th Aug 2005, 15:37
Hello everybody

I've got my cpl ir/me (JAA) for almost about a year. Till now my search for a fulltime job has been unsuccessful. So i've almost decided to go for a freelance job and ,yes, i'm prepared to pay my type rating. I was thinking to do falcon 900 rating. But i need some advice (especially from the falcon riders) or other people who are familiar with this kind of matter:

First i contacted flightsafety to get some information about this rating. But after 4 mails they still didn't react.

So, are there other places where i can obtain this rating??? (it has to be JAA).

Perhaps you know the price of it??

What about the rating? There is a falcon 900A, B, C, EX..... Do you have to get for each serie another rating or is one rating sufficient??

i also noticed on this forum pilots with a falcon50 and 900 rating. Did they had to do the both of them seperately??

And what about after obtaining this rating?? You did your sim but you have flown 0.0h on this aircraft??
What are my chances to find a job on this type of aircraft??

To renew this rating every year: is it done in the sim??

And how many hours(average) do you fly on this type of aicraft every year?

Final question: do you think this is a waste of money??

Any comment, advice or suggestion is welcome to help me decide!!

thx
Grtz

trainer too 2
15th Aug 2005, 18:35
Simple advise: don't do it. Even if you get the TQ you need to back to the sim to get the SOP's sorted. You also need an aircraft to do your Touch and go's before it is added to your licence otherwise it is worthless......

The 900 is a great aircraft but people hired tend to be quite experienced because it is a long haul aircraft .

So yes big waste of money......

Twin2040
15th Aug 2005, 20:00
I fully agree - do a 737 or A320 rating instead.

josephshankes
15th Aug 2005, 22:29
If you do decide to do a self sponsered rating at Flight Safety, my advice is to avoid FSI Paris at all costs. This advice is based on personal experience when I did a Falcon rating a few years ago.

Not mentioning any names but the instructor, from the South coast of the Med, was appalling to say the least. We were doing Simulator sessions very late at night then hed us in the classroom 0800LT completing ground school. This was not a one off but went on for days at a time. To cut a long story short, he wore me out. If you have a good instructor then type transition is a pleasant experience.

Go to FSI in the USA. The Yanks started aviation, not the French.

727 exec
17th Aug 2005, 17:11
Happy to relate my experiences at FSI Paris on the 900...pm me if interested!

jr of dallas
20th Aug 2005, 07:52
Dear josephshankes

"Go to FSI in the USA. The Yanks started aviation, not the French."

That is "mon ami" what we call a bold statement...It's not because you had a bad experience with an instructor ( you could have asked for another one ...yes, you are a "client" ! ) that you should denigrate the entire system.
Personnaly I did my Fa 50/900 type rating last year at FSI Le Bourget and I must say that I encountered Instructors of great value ( though I must say the one you depicts is a particular pain in the...).

The Fa900 JAA rating costs around 40,000 Euros in Paris that is a fact !!!;)

dboy
22nd Aug 2005, 14:11
hey everybody,

Not many reactions i c. No problem, i think the majority thinks it is a waste of money. Perhaps it is indeed better to do a typerating on a A320/B737, although i'm having doubts about my chances on the market. I will have my rating but with no line training or hours on type.

Any suggestions or comments r still welcome.

grtz

H.Finn
22nd Aug 2005, 17:40
dboy, if you have doubts about your chances in the airline market, what makes you believe your chances would be better on the bizaviation scene? Interesting way of thinking, yours...