PDA

View Full Version : EK why not?

redirect
15th Aug 2005, 02:15
I am currently lhs 737 and about to do the EK thing. I am happy in my job. Not the best $ but good conditions. Should I hang on and see whats around the corner (job wise) or should I commit to EK and take the f/o position ( A good career move). I would appreciate any options that you might offer me.
A confused pilot!

fullforward
15th Aug 2005, 16:57
Do a little search, mate, there's literally thousands of pages about EK and take your decision.
You do not mention your rank and experience level, it's difficult give you any advisory.
Cheers

redirect
15th Aug 2005, 23:31
Currently Capt and 4000hrs on 737

Riker
16th Aug 2005, 01:43
I'll probably get flamed for this. If you want my opinion, I say if you are tired of your routine in the Pacific, leave Vanuatu and go see the world. Sure, everyone bags on EK - and rightfully so given the changing contracts and mediocre pay. However, if you can get past a lot of the negativity in terms of pay and upgrade time on some fleets, EK COULD be a great experience. You could fly some great equipment and see a lot of the world if those things are important to you - they aren't for some people...

I am not suggesting that EK is a great place at the moment - probably far from it. However, there are some positives and those should be considered. If you want to see the world beyond your island, fly some advanced equipment, don't mind living in a very expensive desert location, then maybe EK is for you. You would have to go back to the RHS from the LHS - I have heard that can be a difficult transition for some.

If you have visited Dubai and you are OK with the change of scenery, I say go for it and hope you get onto one of the quicker-upgrade fleets. I think that I have read that the 777 upgrade is quicker than the A330/A340. However, make sure that you PM many of the EK pilots on these boards and get more opinions - just realize that many of these pilots do nothing but complain...

Good luck and let us know how you do...

ernestkgann
16th Aug 2005, 11:21
...and lots of them don't say anything. What do you want out of EK?

donpizmeov
16th Aug 2005, 18:50
redirect,

Be careful with the advice above. If you have a look at riker's previous posts, you will see he offered advice to a fella last month not to give up a command and join EK. I think he may be of the very keen and young corporate pilot group. But is not, and has not been employed by the EK group as of yet.

Mate, the choice is all yours. Not much we can say that has not been said before. Great airplanes, great fellas to go to work with, and some ok destinations and route network.
They will work you to the legal max. You will get to see just how long two pilots can fly of a night time for on plenty of occasions. If you have a wife and kids, do not plan on saving till you get a command. Time for a command now is but a guess, but between 3 to 7 years seems to be mentioned a lot. But expect that to change a lot as well.

Good luck with the decision making.

Don

Dan Winterland
17th Aug 2005, 15:00
Leaving Vanuatu to go and live in the sandpit? Do your research!