PDA

View Full Version : Working for RBA

fix747
3rd Dec 2000, 07:41
Hi all,
Anyone worked for Royal Brunei Airlines? Just wondering what it is like and how generally things are like over there? I have heard that they are looking for ex-pats through contract companies offering approx US 5000/month...this is your tax free pay only without overtime or free housing..need to find out more. Sorry I don't have anymore details yet, perhaps some of you might have!Thanks and looking forward for comments.

blonde moment
8th Dec 2000, 12:51
I worked for RBA a few years ago.
It can be hard going as there is very little to do, at least saving the dollars will be easy as long as you don't take too many "reality check" or Sanity breaks.

Is the deal on the line or in the doorless hangar?

BM

uluman
8th Dec 2000, 16:39
I used to be empoyed with RBA a few years ago and it was quite a nice place to live and work. However, times change and I wouldnt recommend the place to anyone these days. The Engineering Mangement allowed the Engineers contract to slowly errode, while the Flight OPs Management basically kept their original contract intact for the pilots. Staff travel sucks and the local staff are very unfriendly when you have to deal with them. There has not been a pay increase since 1988 and Brunei is not a cheap place to live ie, all the pilots I knew used to bring in meat/goodies from overseas trips because of the cost in the local supermarkets.

Socially there is nothing to do- no pubs/ decent restaurants etc, apart from the Yacht Club and the Sheraton and you have to BYOB to these places. There is the Brunei Hash where you can meet people outside of RBA although these are mainly teachers. RBA does have its own social club but its quite restricted as to what goes on there.

So it doesnt take very long to realize that you're just going around on a little carousel that gets more and more boring as the days go by and the vast majority of expats have left RBA. 90% of the ones that are left have no where else to go as their shelf life has expired in the real world.

RBA do need people, but I reckon unless they improve the existing contract, short term contract work on a good hourly rate is the only way to go.

Blacksheep
9th Dec 2000, 08:36
My shelf life expired uluman? Thank you for putting it so nicely, you are a gentleman, sir :)

Through difficulties to the cinema

uluman
9th Dec 2000, 17:32
Actually Blacksheep I didnt refer to everyone, but you must admit that the two old buggars that retired recently - their shelf life had well and truly expired and for them RBA was a very well paid rest home.

As for your 'Man' running the show now, its gotta be one of the truly great mysteries in commercial aviation ??? !!!

blonde moment
9th Dec 2000, 18:09
I think 'limp wrist' does a fine job.
helping out those young boys get typed up.

understand me ..yes!!!!

Sharky Boy
4th Mar 2001, 20:00
It's sometime"U understand me,Yes.Young Man".

Blacksheep
5th Mar 2001, 08:52
Not any more Sharky. Old Jim's cocking his .303 Dunnunda now. He finally retired to Queensland to put his feet up and shoot a little sh*t.

BWN is still "sleepy hollow" but its still OK for a couple of years building up a bit of tax free capital. Cost of living has got a bit higher lately and anyone from UK whose wife is working would suffer a pay cut in absolute terms. Nonetheless, anyone coming here can still expect to go home with a few Pounds (or Euros?) in the bank and the wife might appreciate a bit of leisure with a housemaid to do all the dirty work for her...

Through difficulties to the cinema

MR FIXIT
7th Mar 2001, 15:28
Blacksheep, I always thought you might be Mr A.T. but obviously I was wrong. Did we by any chance share a few (?) Margaritas and Tequilas in Rudyard Kipling country?
Anyway cheers to all the hard workers in RBA.

REMEMBER FLYING IS THE SAFEST WAY TO FLY