PDA

View Full Version : HELP! - Disc failure or virus?

aiglon
14th Aug 2005, 21:49
OK, serious problems on the PC - I'm having to use my son's PC to post this. Switched my PC on this evening and there is a ringing sound - like a phone ringing (but the speakers are switched off, so it must be the PC speaker. Then, I get a message saying (something like) "No Operating System found". I have had this before (the error message, not the sound effects), a couple of years ago when I had a HD failure. Ended up buying and fitting a new HD; cannot believe it has happened again :{

Thing is, I downloaded an update to ZonealarmPro a week ago and since then nothing has been right. Or at least it feels that way, could be coincidence. Anyway, the ringing sound is wierd, didn't happen last time. Also, when I use the W98 startup disc, there is a message that didn't appear last time, saying something is wrong with Drive C, no FAT allocation or something. So I'm wondering, is this a HD failure or a virus? And if it is a virus, what are my options?

Any ideas anyone??

Aiglon

Saab Dastard
15th Aug 2005, 00:34
Aiglon,

The ringing sound sounds like a series of error codes in the POST routine. I must say that the only time I've heard a "ringing" has been due to a stuck keyboard!

Assuming that the ringing is a series of error codes, I would suspect hardware failure is rather more likely than virus attack, but virus is not impossible.

I assume that you have checked the BIOS for the hard disk - is it still reported?

Have you opened up the case and checked all the cables? Remove and replace the IDE and power cables.

Does the hard disk spin up - can you hear it / see drive light?

When you boot up via the recovery diskette, can you get to the C: drive? As in get to a DOS prompt and type C: and see the prompt change to C:>?

What does FDISK report?

What AV program do you use, when did you last update it and when did you last scan?

I can't see that Zonealarm would have trashed the File Allocation Table (FAT) - but a virus could have. Or a head crash.

Is this the same PC as had the HD failure before? If so, is it adequately ventilated - heat is a killer, and a dusty PC or one with the vents obstructed can overheat easily.

energiser
15th Aug 2005, 06:33
There have been multiple problems with the latest update to ZoneAlarm Pro...have a look at the forums at zonealarm (http://www.zonelabs.com) to get an idea of just how many! You may find some advice for your problem there.

As they say themselves Zone Labs knows that some of our customers are having issues with the upgrade to ZoneAlarm 6.0, and is working hard to fix the situation.

I personally know of three different people who have had major problems with their PC's since updating Zonealarm - some requiring a complete re-install of windows.
:sad:

A bit late for you now, but best for others to avoid zonealarm and it's updates for a while. :mad: I've got rid of it for good off all my machines as this is not the first problems zonealarm has had.

aiglon
17th Aug 2005, 12:12
Saab,

I cannot get into the BIOS - must admit, i've always had a problem accessing it on this PC. However, the disk does spin up (there is a noise). When I use the floppy to start up, I get an error message saying there is a problem with the FAT. FDISK reports that there is no physical disk!!

Someone else has suggested it might be a failure of thedrive controller on the motherboard. I'm on holiday now so I'll have to get back on the case in a couple of weeks. God, I hate computers:*

Energiser - I have already rejected the ZA update on the other PC.

Aiglon