PDA

View Full Version : What a concluding statement !

ooizcalling
14th Aug 2005, 18:40
In his concluding statement to the US senate Aviation Sub-Committee on Aviation on the 19th July 2005 regarding the 'Age 60 (retirement) Rule', Dr Robin Wilkening, Occupational Medicine Physician with a Masters degree in Public Health said;

"Requiring airline pilots to retire based solely on the age of 60 ;

1) Has no basis in medical fact,
2) Cannot be supported by scientific literature, and
3) Is not consistent with flight safety data.

The Age 60 Rule prohibits an entire class of workers from continuing gainful employment based on age alone, and as such constitutes age discrimination in the workplace."

Crystal clear :ok:

Now, who is going to try to muddy the waters ?

I Am Not The One
14th Aug 2005, 18:47
Never understood why there should be a mandatory retirement age. Providing you can pass your medical and sim check there should be no reason to be grounded. Especially with a multi-crew environment.

Some Pilot's who turn 70 are fitter than many 45 year old Pilot's I have known!

Chronic Snoozer
14th Aug 2005, 19:05
Yeah, I think its got more to do with how much p1ss you can sink down route!

Dani
14th Aug 2005, 19:32
Of course 60 years is no physiological boundary. Still I think it makes a lot of sense: I would assume that the older you get, the bigger the risk of getting into a situation where your health doesn't permit a safe conduct of flying, even if you passed all your medicals before (no medical examiner can ever be sure to find out if a candidate will suffer from a trombosis, heart attack or some sorts of cancer, even the day after his examination).

Taking this into account it makes sense to limit professional pilots age, which should be ideally lower than for some other professions, which are normally 65 years.

catchup
14th Aug 2005, 19:38
It's just politics. Thus, as a union member, nevertheless, one of the milestones is max. age.

Guess we should think about it in a serious manner...

regards

bealine
14th Aug 2005, 20:35
Certainly, a friend of ours who has had to stop flying at 60 would put a lot of twenty-five year olds to shame in the physical fitness stakes. His mental agility remains undiminished, having enjoyed a career that kept his brain in trim and I would have every confidence flying as a passenger in his machine!

He was kind of hoping that his airline would still allow him to position aircraft, but, sadly the insurance proved prohibitive so he is now frustrated and desk-bound - shining his trousers at head office every day!

In this day and age, it is high time the flying community was treated in the same way as any other working group regarding retirement!!!

Good Luck!!!

ooizcalling
14th Aug 2005, 21:54
'Dani' Your 'assumption' that you would 'take into account' were found to be false by the research carried out. All your 'resevations are covered in the report. They would come under one or more of the conclusions presented, vis;

1) Has no basis in medical fact,
2) Cannot be supported by scientific literature, and
3) Is not consistent with flight safety data.

'catchup' . Good to see you've still got an open mind on the subject.

Dani
15th Aug 2005, 06:58
ooizcalling, you're right that my posting was an assumption, but please explain me why it should be incorrect to estimate the rate of e.g. cardiovuscular deseases are positively correlated to age.

ooizcalling
15th Aug 2005, 10:29
Hi Dani, I dont challenge your statement that "cardiovuscular deseases are positively correlated to age." What I do see from the report is that it is not an issue that warrants exclusion age 60+ pilots from the ranks. It is indeed a factor which must be monitored, but in perspective. There are other medical conditions that have occured to the pre 60 age group that were not predicted by medical examinations. Should the pre 60 group be stopped flying because of this ? Of course not. It is a 'risk assesment' that must be ongoing and based on valid data to support decisions. Age 60, in itself is not a valid reason to stop you flying professionaly. It's just a number.

The Privateer
15th Aug 2005, 21:45
As long as *both* pilots are not over 60 what is the problem? Just roster younger guys with the really older ones.

Age discrimination: definitely... how old am I , er.... hmmm

330 Man
16th Aug 2005, 16:13
In the states, the age 60 rule was never based on health, safety or proven with scientific data. It was an attempt by the head of american airlines to get congress to get rid of his older more expensive pilots for him because he was not able to figure out how to do it himself. And congress and the Caa did it! We have been stuck with the rule ever since. Early on in my career I flew with many pilots from Branniff airlines who were forced to retire at 60. These guys could run marathons and fly circles around all of us young pups. Age 60 is wrong, has no basis other than history, and should be changed.

Unfortunately, ooizcalling, it will be ALPA that muddies the waters.

Regards,

330 Man

Atlanta-Driver
17th Aug 2005, 03:20
Why would anyone in their right mind want to work past 60. If I was financially able to retire today I would, thats 25 some years short of 60.

AD

330 Man
17th Aug 2005, 08:00
Atlanta Driver,

The main reason that I can think of is financial. Like 15000 other pilots from the states, I lost 80% of my retirement when Usair went into bankruptcy the first time. I only have a few years to make it up and I never will. Top that with a 55% pay cut and I went through some savings to pay for the older kids college. We also had a "B" fund for retirement and between the normal loss in the stock market, and the Usair stock that was one of the investments, my B fund lost nearly 200,000 us dollars. I will confess that the Usair stock was optional and I was a fool to invest in it, but it is history, and I am trying to make up for the loss.

United has had their retirement taken over by the government, and Delta, American and Northwest will need some kind of pension relief or they will have the same thing happen to them.

I still love going to work each day. The moment the nose comes up I still get that "thrill" and say thanks for not having to do a "regular job". I assume that feeling will continue. I am one of those who needs and wants to work after 60 and I would like to at least have the option.

Regards,

330 Man