PDA

View Full Version : Worldliner 24hrs record flight

alert5
14th Aug 2005, 01:02
Details are now starting to emerge about the route the 777-200LR will use for its attempt to fly non-stop for more than 24 hours.

Flight around world just a tuneup (http://www.radarvector.com/2005/08/flight-around-world-just-tuneup.html)

Wiley
14th Aug 2005, 04:50
That's progress for you... the Consolidated Catalina, while flying regular services for Qantas Imperial Airways, was regularly flying non-stop for more than 24 hours... over 60 years ago.

Granted, Perth to Colombo with 8 (8!) pax and at about 80 *** knots doesn't compare too favourably with 300ish pax from Tokyo(?) to London.

I read a biography once where the writer, (a major player in the Oz military during WW2), mentioned he did the Cat flight Colombo to Perth, and he said it was the most unpleasant, uncomfortable and truly terrible experience of his very eventful life.

Imagine what it must have been like for the poor bloody crews. Anyone out there with a family connection who might have a first hand account he could pass on to us? I'm told it was an absloute "edge of the envelope" operation in just about every way.

Fernando_Covas
14th Aug 2005, 04:55
But would you want to travel for 24 hours? I for one enjoy a stop over.

Wino
14th Aug 2005, 05:35
If I am traveling on business, I would sell my soul to be home with my family 4 hours earlier.

Cheers
Wino

seacue
14th Aug 2005, 10:00
There is a long thread about the PBY on Aviation History & Nostalgia started by the just-deceased Lu Zuckerman including mention of the PBY Indian Ocean service. The thread ran from June to October 2002.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60421&highlight=perth+columbo+pby

Farmer 1
14th Aug 2005, 11:16
I met an ex-Catalina pilot once. Not exactly a family connection, unless you allow the father of my family doctor. We met only the once, in the waiting room of a physiotherapod – back problem, y’know – he was waiting for his wife, I was waiting for the physio.

We got to chatting, and we soon found our common interest. He said the Catalina’s endurance was something like 35 hours. During the war he was based down Cornwall way. His task was patrolling the Western Approaches, and each sortie lasted 24 hours or more. When I asked him how they managed to psych themselves up for such a sortie, he said it was no problem: they had the briefing on the Tuesday, took off on Wednesday, landed Thursday-ish, and debriefed the following day. It was a large crew (I forget how large), and each member had his allotted domestic duties. They actually looked forward to each trip. Mind you with one sortie per week, things could have been worse, I suppose, even if it was one every week.

I’ve often wondered what his logbook looked like. If you take off at 2200 on Wednesday, and land at 0200 on Friday, would that be one line, or three? No doubt there are people out there who know.

Unfortunately, his wife emerged much too soon, otherwise we would willingly have spent all day chatting. Sadly, I never saw my new friend again, he died not long afterwards. It was a few minutes of my life I will never forget.

OhForSure
14th Aug 2005, 12:33
doesn't compare too favourably with 300ish pax from Tokyo(?) to London

Boeing wish they could fly 300 pax for that long. I think you'll find the manifest includes more towards the number of "3" passengers.

Flightmech
14th Aug 2005, 13:11
"with 2 hours of fuel reserve left". Very impressive.

alert5
14th Aug 2005, 13:24
The 777-200ER flew from Seattle to Kuala Lumpur for its record flight.

Now the 200LR will fly from somewhere in Asia again.

So will it do a SIN-JFK route like SIA is doing with its A345 and then continue to London?

SIA is 777s biggest customer and surely Boeing might want to convince them to change the 345 to 777.

Comments?