PDA

View Full Version : reasons for applying?

angelorange
13th Aug 2005, 21:17
Please use this section to express your reasons for applying for the flying position with XXX airlines and include any additional information that you feel might just give a little credence your application:

paddyboy
13th Aug 2005, 21:39
Why?

If you want help with an application just ask/search...;)

angelorange
13th Aug 2005, 21:51
Genuinely interested in why folks wanted to fly heavier than air machines and yes I'm filling in more forms myself!

Flying Dispatcher
14th Aug 2005, 12:14
errr...maybe ambition?:hmm:

No_Speed_Restriction
14th Aug 2005, 12:19
tell them youre doing it for the money, $hitty rostering and laugh a minute politics:ok:

angelorange
14th Aug 2005, 21:02
OK OK!

It's easy to get cynical as we age and especially as pilots I beleive we probably are grumpier on the whole than the average human being. Maybe that's down to T&Cs and rostering and yes plain old disappointment with our life's lot at times.

But honestly folks what was it that got you interested in flying? Was it a childhood dream? Like those with train driver or rock star ambitions? Do we still appreciate the sunsets above the clouds or the stars in the dead of night? Do we enjoy manually flying approaches into interesting airports? Are we pleased when we beat the IR minimum standard and fly an ILS in difficult conditions?

Yes it's easy to see the dark side! Apparently, the Oxford Dictionary now has approximately 350 words of abuse and just 40 words for praising people - I think it's 40 just for saying someone is insane and 6 for sanity!

Anyone got any positive things to say about flying?

No_Speed_Restriction
15th Aug 2005, 10:07
I think that once the aircrat doors are closed then we have disconnected ourselves from all the nonsense/politics we have/are unfortunately exposed to on a daily basis. We can now enjoy the nice views. personally, I like breaking through the cloud and just enjoying the moment of just being couple of feet above the clouds for couple of seconds as we continue the climb. it gives you a sense of speed(limited as it may be).

As far as low vis approaches go, sometimes it does get a bit boring approaching a runway under good conditions. If I hear that the cloud base is at limits it at least fires up the old valves and transistors in my brain box and gives me a bit of a challenge. The problem is when you have to go around and possibly divert, you then find out you forgot to pack your toothbrush/overnight kit for any possible overnight stops :(