View Full Version : Instructor sponsorships

nick14
13th Aug 2005, 20:29
Hello all,
I love teaching people practically to acuire a new and difficult skill. Also i absolutly adore flying!!:ok: Like most here. I am therefore embarking on the long and expensive road to becoming a flight instructor.

Bit of background to work from- 17 years old, 24 hours so far, 10 GCSE's and 3 A levels on the go, plan is to do ATPL ground straight after A levels then hour build abroard with a mate in a twin then return do CPL and FI(R) possibly IMC depending on money.

A few questions if you don't mind:

Are there any sponsorships for people such as myself to become instructors?
What are the minimums?
When should i do my hours building for CPL pre or post ATPL ground?
any suggestions on where to hour build,
any recommended FTO's for my career plan?

Much appreciated all
Hope to teach you all soon
Buckle up
Nick

Troy McClure
16th Aug 2005, 11:19
Nick

First of all, get your PPL. One step at a time....

As for your questions:

"Are there any sponsorships for people such as myself to become instructors?"

- there used to be a few (until about 2002), but airlines such as FlyBe are now going the way of sponsoring full integrated courses instead.

"What are the minimums?"

- Assuming that means, what so you need to be an FI?

Minimum is:

PPL
IMC
CPL / ATPL groundschool exams passed
Flying Instructor Rating
Class 1 Medical

With this, you cannot be paid though (and are unlikely to find work anyway)

Realistically:

CPL
IMC
Flying Instructor Rating
Class 1 Medical

"When should i do my hours building for CPL pre or post ATPL ground?"

- Most ATPL Ground School providers won't let you start the course until you've got around 150 hours. I believe there are no rules, but most would want you to be serious, not a time waster, and possibly hope you'll stay on and do your CPL training with them (CPL issue requires min 200 hours).

"any suggestions on where to hour build"

- I went to Australia (2001), but with the cheaper US dollar and more expensive Australian one, the US is probably cheaper at the moment. Would still recommend Oz though. Believe it or not their ATC and FTOs are more strict than the US ones, so you are less likely to pick up bad habits. Also, your British medical will be valid and no doubt you'll have less hassle with visas etc, though check current situation with embassy.

"any recommended FTO's for my career plan?"

- take it you're training at Leicester at the moment. They crashed any more a/c lately? ;)

Get your PPL first, then IMC and night rating before you hour build - East Midlands probably cheapest (and best).

Your nearest place for CPL and groundschool would probably be Atlantic at Coventry. It has a fairly good reputation. Or if Distance Learning for groundschool - Bristol.

Instructor rating, again recommend East Midlands.

Hope this helps.

Troy.