PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Modem/Router Config Problems

joe2812
13th Aug 2005, 16:01
Today I went and bought a Belkin ADSL Modem with Wireless-G Router to provide a wireless hub to connect my PC and laptop to in the home.

I installed the router as per the manual via my laptop as it needed to be connected to the DSL line aswell as the computer. The location of the PC doesn't allow it to be used to configure, so I did it with the lappie.

Anyway, I configured the router correctly and it was picked up on my LAN, aswell as wirelessly on the laptop.

The laptop connected to the router with a wireless connection so I removed the ethernet cable, thinking all was well.

However, despite being connected to the network, the laptop does not seem to want to use the new modem to browse, and when I try opening a page with Mozilla no page is found.

I installed the USB wireless dongle thingy on my PC to try it there, and it too connects with a strong connection to the router, but again, no page is found on the internet.

Am I right in assuming I maybe just haven't told the computers to use the new router as the default internet connection? Or is there something more sinister going on?

I'm with BT Broadband on a 2 meg connection if that's of any help, but like I say, the initial configuration or the router seems spot on!

Over to the techie wizards please? Many thanks!

Joe :)

Saab Dastard
13th Aug 2005, 17:08
Joe,

Sounds as if you have set up the router to provide local Wireless LAN, but haven't set up the router to access your ISP. Best thing is to have a look at www.belkin.com for their guides and FAQs. I don't use ADSL (cable man, me!). I believe that there are various ADSL settings that need to be entered into the router before it will connect to the outside world.

Other possibilities:

The router isn't configured for (or doesn't support) DHCP allocation of IP addresses to the client PCs. This can be verified by Start/Run/Cmd IPCONFIG /ALL - assuming WinXP/2000. If no DHCP address is obtained, IP address will be 169.254.0.X.

The PCs are set up with static IP addresses / subnet mask / default gateway that do not match the router. Again, using IPCONFIG, check whether DHCP Enabled is Yes or No.

If using DHCP, the router should get DNS server information via the ISP and forward it to the PCs together with the appropriate IP address, subnet mask and gateway address. Obviously these have to be setup correctly in the router.

Example:

Router: Home LAN / Wireless IP address is 192.168.0.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0. External IP address is whatever the ISP gives it. Router should be configured to act as DHCP server and will need a range of at least 2 DHCP addresses (one for each computer you want to connect). These must be in the range 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254, again with a netmask of 255.255.255.0 and the default gateway of 192.168.0.1. Ensure that the router is configured to forward DNS server info to the client PCs.

For troubleshooting, ensure that MAC address filtering and WEP security are OFF. Once you have everything working, then enable WEP and MAC address filtering (if required).

If you need more help, please say what O/S, and what the IP settings for all the devices are.

SD

joe2812
13th Aug 2005, 17:21
SD,

I've tried running IPCONFIG however I get a blank black DOS-type window that opens then closes within a split second?

The default IP of the router is 192.168.2.1 - typing this into IE results in getting the web-based management user interface.

The instructions say that "in order for your computer to properly communicate with the router, your computer's network TCP/IP/Ethernet setting needs to be 'Obtain an IP address automatically/Using DHCP'".

I'm not sure how relevant the above is, but that's what the computer is currently set to.

The user interface with all the router settings etc tells me that everything is connected, however at the top says 'No connection', which I find to be rather confusing?

As i'm on BT, the user manual has advised me to select PPPoA as my internet sharing protocol.

These are really the only details I have, as I cannot seem to run IPCONFIG correctly?

I also have all security switched off to avoid any conflicts, looking only to enable them once online.

amanoffewwords
13th Aug 2005, 17:52
re ipconfig are you opening a command prompt first? i.e. Start - RUN - type 'cmd', then 'ipconfig /all'?

Re the modem, if it is the same I saw yesterday at a client's, you should have two lights on the right hand side of the modem - one with a picture of a telephone, one with a picture of a planet (our's presumably!).

Are the lights green and steady?

The telephone one relates to the ADSL connection - i.e physical connection to the socketm the other one would tell if you're connected to the outside world.

amofw

joe2812
13th Aug 2005, 19:04
amofw,

That was the problem... missing the 'cmd' - many thanks!

The lights are arranged with 4 on the left and 4 on the right. The ones on the left are (in order); Power, DSL (picture of telephone), Internet (picture of globe), Wireless (antenna type thing).
The 4 lights on the right are numbered 1-4 for the status of the 4 computers wired in. All lights are steady at all times.

SD,

Heres a copy of the IPCONFIG I ran with the wireless router connected.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name ... LAPTOP
Primary DNS Suffix ...
Node Type ... Mixed
IP Routing ... No
WINS Proxy Enabled ... No
DNS Suffix Search List ... Belkin

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection

Media State ... Media Disconnected
Description ... Broadcom 440x 10/100 Intergrated Controller
Physical Address ... 00-0F-1F-2A-4A-1C

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection

Connection-specific DNS Suffix ... Belkin
Description ... Dell Wireless WLAN 1450 Dual Band WLAN Mini-PC Card
Physical Address ... 00-90-4B-BF-91-FB
Dhcp Enabled ... Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled ... Yes
IP Address ... 192.168.2.2
Subnet Mask ... 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway ... 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server ... 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers ... 192.168.2.1

Also, am running Win XP Home Edn.

amanoffewwords
13th Aug 2005, 20:38
The ipconfig output says that the laptop is disconnected from the LAN but correctly talking over wifi.

The gateway is 192.168.2.1 which is your router. If you can see the internet you need to look at the settings in the router.

One thing - might be obvious but you never know - re the username you are using in the router: is it in the format similar to [email protected](*)? = where the hgxx is the crucial bit?

(*) or btyahoo or btopenworld or btconnect etc..

amofw

joe2812
13th Aug 2005, 21:26
Well one stage of the router setup asks for your ISP e-mail and password. Only thing is, for btinternet you never get a username and password as such as it's always on. Our email takes the format [email protected] however?

I assume the ouput says the laptop is disconnected from the internet because the Ethernet cable is removed?

amanoffewwords
14th Aug 2005, 09:25
I assume the ouput says the laptop is disconnected from the internet because the Ethernet cable is removed?

Yes, but that's fine because you are correctly connected by wifi.

In my experience BTinternet and its aliases always supply usernames and passwords for the ADSL connection itself (over and above an email address and password combination for each user). The exception I think is you have BT Connect (a business product).

If you really haven't got ADSL credentials to supply the modem you might be able to set to it be a "modem only". Not sure if your model supports this - the one I saw the other day did.

Though the fact that you were told by BT to use PPOA makes me suspect that you should have a letter from them with some specific ADSL logon details in the format described in my previous post.

You may need to call them to verify.

hth,
amofw

joe2812
14th Aug 2005, 11:58
I've been onto BT who have told me that my connection details are my [email protected] e-mail and 'BTBroadband' as my password. They have also said they won't help with any issues as it's a third party modem.

I've tried fiddling again this morning, when I go to open a web page i've made a note of what happens with the lights.

The power light is steady, as is the DSL one. The Internet light and Wireless lights flash however, so obviously it's communicating with the laptop and with the net?

Don Coyote
14th Aug 2005, 17:15
I have had all sorts of problems setting up wireless networks. More often than not it has been getting the correct settings for a software firewall like norton correct. Once these have been done everything works okay.

Saab Dastard
14th Aug 2005, 17:41
Joe,

Your Wireless LAN seems to be working OK.

I can see from your IPCONFIG that the DNS servers are the same as the gateway - that is not correct.

I suspect that either the router is not connecting to the ISP or else - as I mentioned previously - the router is not supplying DNS info to the client.

From the CMD prompt, can you ping 213.161.73.173? If you get a reply it is a DNS problem, if not then the router is not connecting to the ISP.

When you enter the router configuration utility, can you find what the external IP address from the ISP is? I run a Netgear, and the Basic configuration has sections such as:

Does Your Internet Connection Require A Login?
Internet IP Address - Get Dynamically From ISP / fixed
Domain Name Server (DNS) Address - Get Automatically From ISP / specify
Router MAC Address - Use Default Address / Use Computer MAC Address / Use This Address

For the last one, if your laptop was connected to the ADSL interface via the Ethernet connection when the connection to BT was established, you may need to enter the laptop MAC address (00-0F-1F-2A-4A-1C).

SD

joe2812
15th Aug 2005, 12:45
I've tried pinging 213.161.73.173 ('ping 213.161.73.173' from the CMD window the way to do it?)

If i've done it correctly then there was no response and all data sent was lost. From what you say it's obviously not connecting to the ISP.

I had a look through the web-based config utility and couldn't find anything like what you suggest so will just copy the status here.

Internet Settings

ADSL Status CONNECTED
Data Rate
Downstream/Upstream 2272Kb/288Kb
Connection Type PPPoA
WAN MAC Address 00:11:50:47:84:72
WAN IP 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway 0.0.0.0
Primary DNS Address 0.0.0.0
Secondary DNS Address 0.0.0.0

LAN Settings

Interface Status Connected
Link Status 100Mbps Full Duplex
LAN MAC Address 00:11:50:47:84:72
Router IP Address 192.168.2.1
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server Enabled
Number of DHCP Clients 0

WLAN Settings

Wireless Function Enabled
WLAN MAC Address 00:12:bf:00:e1:00
Mode Mixed (11b+11g)
SSID belkin54g
ESSID Broadcast Enabled
Channel 11
Security Disabled

At the time I was only connected to the modem via wireless as supposed to Ethernet. Is that any help to you at all?
:confused:

Buttino
15th Aug 2005, 15:52
The details under Internet Settings that are all 0.0.0.0 suggest that you're not connecting to the BT Broadband network correctly.

The ADSL Status - CONNECTED bit only means that the modem is in sync with the dslam in the exchange.

My next step would be to verify your user ID and password with BT and re-enter them.
The basic setup of the modem/router appears to be fine.

Hope this helps

Trev

joe2812
15th Aug 2005, 20:16
I've been back to BT who again refuse to help me as it's a third party modem and all they say is:

VPI = 0 (zero)
VCI = 38
Authentication = CHAP
Encapsulation = VC MUX
Modulation = G.DMT
Encapsulation Protocol = PPPoA,
Username = [email protected]
Password = your password or BTBroadband

Only thing I notice is my e-mail end @btinternet and not @btbroadband.com I've tried both endings aswell as the password as 'BTInternet' and 'BTBroadband' but nothing.

The only other screen I get is:

Internet WAN > DNS

If your ISP provided you with a specific DNS address to use, enter the address in this window and click "Apply Changes".

"Automatic from ISP" (with checkbox automatically ticked)

Underneath is the option to input a DNS Address and Secondary DNS Address. These are currently 0.0.0.0 for both.

Buttino
15th Aug 2005, 20:39
I could well be that there's a hardware issue with the belkin box.
It's not unheard of to have defective equipment straight out of the box.

Do you know anyone else that would lend you an adsl modem to test the connection with? That way it would prove whether or not you've got the correct login details.

All my customers in the past that have used BT Broadband always have the login name ending in btbroadband.com...however, i've also seen btopenworld.com so try that.

As I stated in my previous post, the modem is "seeing" a connection, it just can't logon for whatever reason. The wireless / ethernet part of it appears to be configured correctly.

Take a look at the forums on www.adslguide.org as they've got some good technical forums on there.

Also......on the belkin box there should be somewhere that logs what happens when it tries to connect. Can you post/pm the details of the logs?

Thanks

Trev

Just had another thought too.......try changing the Microfilter. It\'s possible you may have a defective one!

Trev

Saab Dastard
15th Aug 2005, 21:24
Joe,

Have you entered all these configuration settings into the appropriate places in the router setup?

VPI = 0 (zero)
VCI = 38
Authentication = CHAP
Encapsulation = VC MUX
Modulation = G.DMT
Encapsulation Protocol = PPPoA,
Username = [email protected]
Password = your password or BTBroadband

Have you ever had your broadband connection working? If so, did you copy down all the configuration details?

Have you examined the Belkin website for your device and RTFM?

SD

amanoffewwords
15th Aug 2005, 22:38
I just remembered...BT have some test login accounts that help you verify where the problem might be. Here's an extract from another site:

BT have a test login account that could be used to identify if a particular problem is with the hardware you have installed or with our broadband service. If you can manage to get a connection sometimes but are experiencing intermittent problems, you can test the connection using this alternative login.

Username = bt_test@startup_domain
Password = blank

Once you have authenticated, you can browse to the web site, http://www.bt.net/digitaldemo which consists of a single image.

The important bit:

If you can connect with this login you can reasonably assume that the problems are not caused by the broadband hardware but are more likely to be a configuration issue (e.g. username/password) or possibly a service issue.

Source (http://www.telivo.com/faqc20q88.html)

Let me know it that helps

amofw