PDA

View Full Version : Virgin in Oz

Bird Dog99
12th Apr 2000, 14:46
Can anyone give me further direction as to the Virgin operation in Australia as far as Engineering sector goes????? How to apply to? etc. etc.

Mice
28th Apr 2000, 19:16
They just advertised for engineers today (28th). You will be working for a subcontractor (Jetcare, Brisbane Airport), not Virgin. No Airline benefits, etc, etc. They want all trades on B737 classic, jobs in BNE/SYD/MEL. Major maint in BNE. Believe they will pay award rates, but not much more info to offer you just yet.
E-mail me if you need more.

Cheers

------------------
When all else fails, read the manual!

avo8
13th May 2000, 17:00
Any idea of pay scales ?

Mice
13th May 2000, 17:18
Have been told it will be award rates, however, as Jetcare are owned by Flightwest, and they (FW) are noted as the worst payers on the airport, it may be the GA or Flightwest award being talked about. Do not expect great things in this area until you have it in writing first hand. Note that if they actually hire without the 737 endorsement, you may have to pay a bond to do the course (ala Flightwest). Obviously, employee loyalty is pretty poor when you get treated like that. To my knowledge, I know of no other Airline in Aus that bonds engineers this way. Others may though.

------------------
When all else fails, read the manual!

The Fossil
18th May 2000, 03:13
I've heard that the salary for Virgin will be pretty basic, about two thirds that of Impulse. On bonding, Forstaff does it and Ansett are going to do it. No doubt others will follow!

Blacksheep
19th May 2000, 06:53
Once applied to emigrate to Oz but they told me they had more than enough LAEs already.

If wages are really so low, I suppose the immigration people must have been telling the truth :)

Through difficulties to the cinema

flight attendant
28th Jan 2004, 14:05
If you wish to get a job as an engineer with Virgin apply to VIRGIN TECH in Melbourne,

not JETCARE as they are absolutely the wost company in the history of engineering!!!

DDG
29th Jan 2004, 16:00
flight attendant,
Can you justify your allegations?As your profile suggests i doubt it.I could comment on the quality of service of flight attendants at various airlines but i won`t.
I can tell you that both of the maintenance providers for VB have their problems and both could do with a lot of improvement.The employee`s try their best to service the contract as best they can!

To all interested,
Both VT(virgin tech) and JC(Patrick Jetcare) have in place reasonable pay rates/awards,VT`s is slightly better pay wise but conditions of employment are lower than JC.Both companies pay more than Impulse is as long as you are a LAME with a B737NG CASA licence,unlicenced AME`s recieve award wages.

http://www.wagenet.gov.au/Wagenet/Search/View.ASP?docid=233155&query=(VIRGIN%20TECH)&quickview=Y&attr=RH

http://www.wagenet.gov.au/Wagenet/Search/View.ASP?docid=118545&query=(JETCARE)&quickview=Y

http://www.wagenet.gov.au/Wagenet/Search/View.ASP?docid=233226&query=(JETCARE)&quickview=Y&attr=RH

above is some addresses for award conditions ect for both VTech and Patrick Jetcare

flight attendant
31st Jan 2004, 07:32
But before you appply guys, just remember which company has been to the Commission 12 times, hang on they are still fighting for a better conditions with Jetcare.

The staff talk to me. I know the truth DDG...

How many times have the VT staff taken VT to the Commission, yes that right DDG "NEVER", so if you want a great place to work I guess you have to look at the history DDG.

30/30 Green Light
13th Feb 2004, 11:46
Flight Attendant,have you had a look at who the Agreements have been negotiated with?The Jetcare agreement is with the ALAEA,whose sole industrial interest is the wages and conditions of Licensed Engineers.Given that their total energy is devoted to this cause, it wouldn't surprise me if a number of journies have been made to the Commision.On the other hand,it is hardly likely that the TWU, that shining example of the ACTU,will be expending too much effort on increasing the income of a group of persons whose income averages from 90k-100k, working 4 on/4off.That alone maybe an indication of why there have been no Commision appearances by the TWU on the LAME's behalf.I would suggest that those who "talk to you" have a jaundiced point of view and it may well be worth thinking about things and developing a balanced point of view before you rush off to go into print on a subject in which you obviously have little experience.Do us a favour and stick to commenting on issues of which you at least have a little understanding.

stormin norman
28th Feb 2004, 04:33
Bit of shock
Virgin employing a third party agency, with low pay
rates, and that company has absolutely nothing to do with virgin.

Where have we heard that before !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!