PDA

View Full Version : B737 ADR

OneMileHigh
12th Apr 2000, 01:21
Hi techies
A mate at work today was telling me about the a/c black box recorders documentary on TV last night. He tells me that the programme claims that the ADR on the B737 only records 11 parameters, and that doesn't include rudder position.
I was a leckie on Harriers (hi to any ex Harrier types out there) and know a bit about that ADR system, and how many parameters are recorded (lots including rudder position). I find it hard to believe that Boeing have designed a system that doesn't record all flying control positions, so my question is simple.
How many parameters are recorded by the ADR and does it include all flying controls inc' rudder.

HP80
12th Apr 2000, 02:41
The early generation 737's didn't have rudder posn recorded but the later aircraft certainly have. The program was not very good and did not give the full story......the old saying "A little piece of knowledge is dangerous" comes to mind.

Denzil
12th Apr 2000, 04:11
The only purpose this programme serves is to frighten the traveling public.Most people in the industry know the truth.

------------------
"Noted With Thanks"

greaseytech
12th Apr 2000, 12:05
Isn't it a little bit funny how all these programs about flight desasters come out just before the peak holiday season begines? The comments about frightening the flying public are, I think, very true. Year on year the programme producers will dig out old footage of mangled aeroplane, and have relatives in a highly emotive state saying how they descovered how their loved ones were on a doomed flight. This does aviation no favours; it only helps to scare off those who have a fear of flying even more. What this type of journalism does not tell you is that you are more likely to be involved in a road accident than a plane crash. So for all the journalists who may stumble on this, can we have more balanced reporting please?

On a different tack, OneMileHigh, When were you on Harriers? I worked on GR 1, 1a 3, T2 and T4's at Wit, Wil and Gut. Yes I know it was some years ago, and a good time was had by all!

spannersatcx
13th Apr 2000, 00:20
Originally posted by Denzil:
The only purpose this programme serves is to frighten the traveling public.Most people in the industry know the truth.

That's why I don't like flying!!!!!

OneMileHigh
13th Apr 2000, 04:06
Thanks so far chaps, but I really wanted a more technical answer which HP80 provided. How many parameters are recorded on the later marks of B737 and are ALL flying controls recorded.
Greasey, I was at GUT 79-82 EES and HSF, 1(f) WITT 86-89, and on 3(f) GUT then LAAR 89-94. Good times, at least the times I remember
:-)

HP80
15th Apr 2000, 01:52
I'm not at work for a few days but I'll dig out the info for you as soon as I find my notes.

growler
15th Apr 2000, 04:57
From an A+C point of view, have just read the MM info on 737-300 FDR system. Just about everything that moves and more besides send a signal to the Digital Flight Data Aquisition Unit (DFDAU). This unit converts all signals into a digital format 1 signal type of thing. This signal is then sent to the FDR. I guess that in the event of a crash, the FDR digital data can be backtracked and decoded into numerous individual position sensors. The DFDAU also has a floppy disk inside that is periodically changed. This could also possibly be retrieved. As said at the beginning, this is an A+C point of view and therefore isopen to correction by anyone knowing better.

spanners
15th Apr 2000, 16:24
Hi All.
Growler I think you are getting mixed up with the QAR system. (Which is not mandatory)
Some airlines have QAR tapes which record far more parameters than an ADR could record (depending upon type), but would never survive a crash, not being mandatory. Quick access recording info is used for a/c condition and operation monitoring (any big airways types will know it links to sesma, for example).

Regards

[This message has been edited by spanners (edited 15 April 2000).]

[This message has been edited by spanners (edited 15 April 2000).]