PDA

View Full Version : EMIRATES

MR P
9th Jul 2000, 20:58
ANY ONE OUT THERE HAVE INFO ON WORKING FOR
EMIRATES IN DUBAI,( A+C LICENCED ) ANY GOOD?.
WHAT SORT OF COVER YOU NEED ?.
HOW IS THE SOCIAL LIFE ?.
THANKS MR P ( FED UP BA ENGINEER )

------------------

Lisa
9th Jul 2000, 21:40
Not sure about conditions, however the new line main manager is going to be Malcom Brown, currently Virgins LMM at LHR. Joining Emirates next month.
Nice guy.
Send him you CV for emirates, via virgin at radius park LHR!!

penitoff
10th Jul 2000, 03:20
Mr P,
Have you considered working for BA in dxb? I know a man who may be able to help...

Penn Doff
11th Jul 2000, 20:36
Im sure the Big M at VS would really appreciate you all sending your CV's in.
Failing this why not just ring him at home, apparently that's a way of getting on his good side and ask him what your promotion prospects are!!

------------------
"please report further"

Jango
12th Jul 2000, 13:10
DXB is okay place to be, better than most in the arab world....but at a price, social life not cheap these days. depends on what you want to do, plenty of pubs or you can do the 4wd and boats thing.

Not worked at EK myself but I know folks who go there and feel it is too much like BA...so if you are happy with the BA style maybe it would be okay. Or you could be jumping out of the pan into the fire.

EK interviews are fairly tough, trick-cyclist interview etc. If you have teh coverage they want, you'll be in with a BA background.

My advice, go for it at least get out there for a looksee, nout to lose eh?

Art
14th Jul 2000, 20:44
Those of us that work here can't really answer your questions using such a open forum. Your best bet would be to ask about in the BA Longhaul Tech's at LGW and LHR for info from friends of our's. The other option if you are serious is to get on a plane and visit..Dubai is an excellent holiday destination..I don't think you would have much difficulty in making contact with us if, as I said, you speak to the right people in the UK before leaving.You would probably be able to get an interview at the same time should you wish to.

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Art (edited 20 July 2000).]

tim-ing
15th Jul 2000, 01:46
I personally know 12 LAEs that have left the world's favorite for Emirates.
2 have returned, one within the month and as he didn't burn his bridges before he left, he was welcomed back.The other lasted 18 months.
It is more of a shambles than the maintenance organisations here and it is experiencing growing pains.
Introducing a Virgin may help. I wonder how the ex-BA guys there will take to him.
There are many other countries with LAE's desperate to find jobs overseas (eg.South Africa) and they are willing to work for less money and inferior accomodation that has been offered to the guys I know. It all makes the current package less acceptable than previous ones.
Bear in mind it is at the moment really hot and where you live has to be up to the job.
I agree with the previous posting. Go now if you can, experience the heat, seek out the engineers there, buy them a beer or two and you will have all the info you need to make a decision.
The $ is OK but be prepared to travel as flying spanner on all sorts of aircraft to all sorts of places.
If you hold an A&P you will have to work on transiting aircraft from dubious origins.
Most of my friends have found their niche and are respected engineers, a third of them promoted to permanent air conditioned jobs. Beware the QA department, they are ruthless. If one of your jinglies F***S up you get a good seeing to. ENJOY!

Jango
17th Jul 2000, 17:01
Sorry my friend but no matter where in the world you are that is what you get when you become an expatriate, you take the crap the locals will not??

could be gamco, alsalam, RBA, anywhere, you are the guy they are going to blame whether it is your fault directly or not, not specific to EK.

tim-ing
18th Jul 2000, 01:48
Hang on - I know that - but MrP who posted the original question might not. He needs to know that although it seems be run roughly on BA (Old world) lines that some things like that are very different. That's all.

MR P
18th Jul 2000, 19:39
thanks to all who have responded, (just back from my jolly's). I have decided to go for a
look-see at what's its like,( end of this month ), and par-take in a bit of UAE hospitality while i am there.
( it would be rude not to)
I don't hail from the south, so contacts are a bit thin.
ps 'on all that money you could buy me a beer as i am a poor UK LAE (enhanced)'

Avo Prodd
19th Jul 2000, 02:28
If you decide to stay in Dubai, don't believe them when they promise you "all this", as that's only to get you there. Any courses will cost you a bond of 35 thousand dollars US,running simoultaneously, should you decide you don't like working on your days for nothing and want to leave within three years. No time off for good behaviour either.

somefokker
23rd Jul 2000, 13:21
Just an observation about South African engineers working on ex-pat contracts throughout the world. These guys seem to be so desperate to escape S.A. that they will work for less money and poorer conditions than guys coming from Western Europe. It caused some problems at HAECO as the Chinese mangement were quick to pick up on this fact and started whittling away at everyone elses terms. Thats not to say the S.A.'s are all bad. Man do they like their beer!
Incidently a lot of guys left HAECO and went to Emirates, so it can't be all that bad.