View Full Version : bmi tiny fares helping BA strandad pax???

bmibabyfc
12th Aug 2005, 12:00
Just looked at the fares for routes leaving lhr for any strandad BA pax needing to get to EDI,GLA,MAN etc with bmi, and it seems they are nearly all sold out. To help the BA pax out bmi are laying on extra flights or larger a/c to EDI and GLA in particular- see flybmi.com for the extra flights and times.

It does seem nice after the continuing moan and groan about bmi that with the introduction of tiny fares that we are helping pax get home or to their onward connection. All be it the tiny fares are no longer available due to the high demand, but alot of pax would have benefited from this after BA (not neccessary their fault!) left their pax stranded at LHR and many other destinations.

My point is i hope bmi are getting good publicity from all this!!!

Any ground staff or crew based at LHR wish to shed any light on this? have the loads been busy?

ManAtTheBack
12th Aug 2005, 14:57
Perhaps all the room is through former bmi passengers having deserted the sinking ship.

Still, some BA passengers will get to see the 'modular' shambles.

Halfwayback
12th Aug 2005, 15:12
MATB

My information is that the flights are full - with sby pax being turned away.

There was even a scheme to put on an extra A330 flight yesterday but it is needed today for scheduled programme.

Still, it is August and for the last four years we have been in a similar situation with BA.

Every cloud has a silver lining.........

HWB

Jet2
12th Aug 2005, 15:20
.My point is i hope bmi are getting good publicity from all this!!!

I doubt bmi are putting on the flights out of goodwill and concern for the unfortunate pax caught up in this. There is demand, and therefore money to be made, and fair play to bmi they are making it

eastern wiseguy
12th Aug 2005, 22:32
even a scheme to put on an extra A330 flight yesterday

Try getting that into BHD ......lol

salapilot
13th Aug 2005, 08:57
With this becoming an annual event, bmi should start planning for next year !!!

sp

Halfwayback
14th Aug 2005, 09:28
ew

BHD is but one destination that bmi continue to serve in the shorthaul programme - you will know that BA don't fly to Belfast from LHR and haven't for some time

The A330 was considered for an extra BOM as the BA had been cancelled.

Burt
The bmiR Embraers are used at weekends because it is far more economical to fly a smaller jet full than a larger aircraft half full. Sound business practice to match the aircraft to the load - the early flights are normally a light load. I think you will find the later flights are on A320/321

HWB

CaptJ
14th Aug 2005, 19:05
yes, bmi are certainly profiteering at the expanse of pax returning on delayed BA flights. Just got hit for £375 to get the three of us home. That's par for the course for bmi.

I'm sure someone will try to justify this behaviour but when the boot was on the other foot, (for example transfering from a delayed United flight to BA), BA NEVER charged a penny. If there was a seat, you could have it.

We've had a horrible long journey home, but it's bmi we would never fly again if we could avoid it, not BA.

eastern wiseguy
14th Aug 2005, 19:25
Halfwayback......puhleeese I am well aware of the destinations flown by the "National" Carrier....and how many people may need a lift back on the second level carrier to Bhd...I was simply injecting a little bit of mischief to the BMI crowd and the ridiculously short ,water surrounded runway they choose in NI.

randomair
14th Aug 2005, 19:56
Well, i don't really think that the price you got was that bad. I gather you booked it on the same day or even the day before your intended to fly.

Just checked the ba web site, and if i wanted to book a one-way flight from gatwick to manchester, tommorow, for 2 adults and a child it would cost me £976 at least....so well done on getting a good deal! :D

keepitlit
14th Aug 2005, 20:06
Eastern
I didnt know you did performance A and airbus performance course to make a statement about runway length at BHD,by the way how long is 17/35 hhhhmmmm!!!
Nice try,by the whats the blue stuff at the end of 25,oh that will be the same stuff "that surrounds the BHD moat.

P.S.

see ya next summer

Rgds K.I.L.:} :} :} :}

bmibabyfc
14th Aug 2005, 21:24
Capt J - reference your free change from a delayed UA flight to a BA flight, i presume it was UA that changed your ticket for free? BA would not accept a delayed UA pax for free without authorisation from UA - as what would BA gain out if it?

BA and bmi are competitors, all be it now in different ways, but did you seriously expect bmi to allow BA pax on for free? Maybe if you had purchased a ticket with a star alliance partner and it was a flex ticket you could have changed for free, but BA are not!

It does seem strange that your final thought was i will not travel bmi again, not BA. bmi staff did not walk out, bmi did not cancel the flight, bmi charged you a fair price to get from A to B (in your case home!), on the other hand BA staff walked out, BA cancelled the flight and BA even charged you for that! - and did not make any arrangements for you to get home?? ....... hmm think i wouldnt fly BA and fly bmi!!!!

eastern wiseguy
14th Aug 2005, 21:56
KIL

whats the blue stuff at the end of 25

Lough Neagh ...THREE MILES FROM THE THRESHOLD OF 07 ...even you can be airborne or stopped by then!! Beats the crap out of vicky park duck pond..considerably closer eh?(what was that you told me about auto brakes??) :ok: :ok:

I didnt know you did performance A and airbus performance course to make a statement about runway length at BHD

As to performance ..I have no idea.....I DO know that you would be well stuffed for stands...and how is the load bearing capacity of the harbours runway/taxiway or Fire Category? I will look it up ...and let you know!!:E

onion
14th Aug 2005, 22:06
CaptJ as I can see you had three choices on this one
1. Wait until the dispute was over and then fly with ba home when they found a space for you on a flight. You could of been in for a long wait.
2.Travel home on a different means of transport, taxi, coach train etc..
3.Travel home with another airline, you chose bmi for £375 for three people which is £125 per person one way.
As i don't know where you flew from or to i can't make direct comparisons, but as a comparison the cheapest easyjet ticket from Gatwick to Edinburgh tomorrow is £106.66.
So I think you did quite well. So don't moan at bmi for this one.
(couldn't get into bmi site to use their booking system to use as a comparison)

You could of waited and saved your money in which case you would be moaning at ba.

CaptJ
15th Aug 2005, 11:38
bmibabyfc,

reference your free change from a delayed UA flight to a BA flight, i presume it was UA that changed your ticket for free? BA would not accept a delayed UA pax for free without authorisation from UA - as what would BA gain out if it?

You presume wrong. Read the post again. BA would in my experience always help you out (as long as it didn't cost them anything) bmi's approach has always been to put the arm in, whatever. That is my experience over the 25 years

You ask "What would BA gain" Now thats just a plain stoopid question. They would gain customer satisfaction. I assume therefore that you are in some part of bmi and hence the concept is entirely alien to you.

In my experience even easyjet doesn't gouge passengers in a bind. Ryanair does.

Maybe that seems a bit harsh. Maybe its just a matter of statistics. I may just have been unlucky to have bad customer service experiences with bmi and decent service with BA. However given the length of time we have been flying I rather suspect not.

BTW, in this instance despite being booked months ago. it was definitely not a "Tiny" fare.

Tower Ranger
15th Aug 2005, 20:09
Oh Eastern , just when you had been doing so well too!! We`d even got a few Duffy 4`s out of you and there you go complaining about the length of our Rwy again.

I`ve said before it`s not the tools but what you do with them that counts, for example, what use is it having cross runways if you let the sweepers wheel fall off at the intersection ??

Ok so i`ll just write duffy three on all the strips tomorrow then.

eastern wiseguy
15th Aug 2005, 21:10
Complain? Me? noooooooo.......what bit of my assessment was wrong?:E