PDA

View Full Version : Moncton Flight College/PTC

pointedinfinity
12th Aug 2005, 08:28
Ok, some schools believe that they can get away with pretty much anything. Effectively they prey on your ambition and abuse their position. So think about the following regarding the above.

1. You cannot believe or trust much that you read on their web-site, or that you are told, either as part of the sales pitch, or in response to your directed enquiries

2. On-site management is either absent or couldn't care less when confronted

3. Instruction reflects accordingly, is poor and frequently inept

4. Non-new aircraft are well beyond their sell by date, and worse than most (now that's saying something!)

5. Local accommodation is poor

6. If there during winter you can bank on not flying for days or weeks at a time

7. The JAA course has a history of departees due to dissatisfaction

So, consider these things very carefully. If you are a true wannabee, then maybe you will put up with this. Or then again, maybe you will find somewhere more reputable to spend your hard come-by cash.

apoball
13th Aug 2005, 13:28
Any chance you could be a little more specific with some of your points please?

I've been looking fairly closely at the above-mentioned school, and from where I'm sitting both PTC and Moncton look like well organised outfits.

I'm particularly interested in your comment about departees from the JAA course: Dissatisfaction with what?

I hope to go to Moncton to rack up some hours pre CPL course, so I'm very interested in your views or those from other people with first hand experience of Moncton.

Feel free to email me at [email protected]

Cheers

APO

BigGrecian
14th Aug 2005, 09:18
Unfortunately not the first bad comment I've heard about PTC either - in fact I've yet to hear a good one.

Has anyone out there got any other views either way?

apoball
14th Aug 2005, 15:30
Its not the first bad report that I've read either, but I think they've all come from pointedinfinity. That's one of the reasons why I'm interested in the specifics of the problem.

Anyone else got any views or impressions?

Cheers

APO

pointedinfinity
15th Aug 2005, 13:58
Apo, I have made two posts referencing Moncton and/or PTC - so my powers must be wonderful if that accounts for the general level of bad reports.

Seems to me that wannabees have a high capacity for self-delusion, so why don't you ask some questions, like

- how many JAA Class 1 instructors are in place at Moncton. What happens if this person is ill, gets run over by a bus, leaves or is just a bad instructor?
- is there a full-time JAA CFI on site at all times (there certainly hasn't been for periods at a time, leaving no fall-back, not to mention any considerations of accreditation)
- why don't you ask to speak with any current trainees privately, and feel out their views (appreciating of course that they have a vested interest in talking up)?

Now that makes three posts.

apoball
15th Aug 2005, 21:00
Its evident that the tone of my last post was not quite what I intended.

Pointedinfinity, I was not questioning your reliability nor do I doubt your motives for posting.

If you do a search on 'Moncton' then trawl through the responses, of which there are not many, then you'll find that your posts are by far the most negative. This is possibly because you are the only person with (I presume) first-hand experience.

I am in a position where I will shortly spend quite a lot of money with a flying school and I don't want to make a bad decision but, to make that decision I need facts or a consensus of opinions.

I would be grateful if you could give actual details of the problems that you encountered with Moncton or PTC.

Finally, I am appreciative of your inputs and I do listen to what you're saying. The more information I can get the better.

Thanks

APO

pointedinfinity
16th Aug 2005, 11:12
If the info already provided does not ring alarm bells, then nothing will.

Doesn't it strike you as odd that there has been NO counter from any quarter? Think about it.

Over and out.

pilotbear
16th Aug 2005, 11:20
Perhaps there has been no counter because like usual complainers cannot be specific and therefore there is nothing to counter. People like you are usually way below standard and like to blame everything and everyone for their poor performance

I know because I am JAA CRI/IRI who has worked for PTC in the past. All students have passed and many..many have jobs with Aer Arran/Ryanair/club 328 etc.
If you want some facts about pass rates etc. speak to DArragh Owens at PTC Ireland and you can get phone nos and emails of ex students to ask yourself.
If you want brand new aircraft and facilities then you will have to pay for it......

pointedinfinity
16th Aug 2005, 19:26
Bear, if you read the thread subject, nowhere will you find a reference to PTC Ireland. I know nothing about them. But it does show the danger of operating several schools under the one banner, and possibly even trying to attribute the success of one to the others. This is especially so if one school is 2000+ miles away, and the home base abdicates involvement once the sale is made.

As for needing greater detail, I think the original post was fairly pointed!

And finally, the old gumph that always seems to arise when a school is the subject of a warning - "student not up to standard". The standard posterior covering. Even if this was the case, should the school not be informing and positively supporting to improve?

I am not going to post again on this subject. I have posted a warning which I would have very much appreciated when evaluating my options, and which would have avoided a significant waste of my time, money and aspirations.

You have been warned.

UAU242
24th Aug 2005, 15:55
i was also thinking about PTC/Moncton and so far have only found good comments, until now. I would also appreciate specifics, there's a lot of hard earned money involved here! and no second chances!

MEG@DK
6th Nov 2005, 18:54
Well Well!

I just did a search om my old flying school MFC and was a little surprised to find this thread with pointedinfinity slagging off the school. I spent a good 8 months at Moncton last year (2004 to 05). I have in my time as a commercial pilot flown in 6 different countries and worked or studied out of nearly as many schools. I have yet to see an establishment where things were done as clockwork as they are at Moncton Flight College.

I have no clue to what pointedinfinity is refering to when he talks about the non-new aircrafts state. I will bet a lot of my credit that most ATPL holders today spent a good bit of time getting their PPL in Cessnas that were the age of their parents, that has however nothing to do with the fact that MFC's older generation is in better shape than most other "older generation" training aircrafts out there. By mentioning only the old A/C's it sound like you easily forget that MFC has got a brand new straight of the line fleet on DA20-C1's, but that doesn't seem to be found on your post..... Slagging off is just too easy! You are giving people who have never been to MFC a twisted and unbalanced picture of the best school I have seen throughout flying in Canada, USA, England, Bahamas, Germany, Denmark and Scotland.

The instructors have a true desire to actually help you and not only think about their own "hourbuilding".

Mike Doiron the guy running the school is more of a buddy than a principal, he will take time and he will do what he can to help and make changes if that makes his school better.

When I reported minor defects that most other engineers would ignore such as nav lights, squeeky brakes, static radios etc, it would be fixed on the next flight. Maybe I have hit a load of very bad schools and found a diamond at MFC, but I think the thruth is more that you have had a bad experience and is now throwing unbalanced oppinions at one of the best places to get your training out there.

By all means this is a place to put our oppinions and I obviously don't agree with the beginning of this post. I have recommended close friends to MFC and will recommend it to everybody else as well.

The people are amazing, the training is top class and they have something called blueberry beer which I truly miss on a regular basis:ok: :ok:

Regards

Mike

apoball
7th Nov 2005, 16:51
I had a look at the blueberry beer in Pumphouse last night, I'm not yet open-minded enough to drink beer with floating fruit, but I'm getting there.

Mike, I wholeheartedly agree with your comments on MFC. I'm here hour-building in the 'out of date' Cessnas which, in my opinion, are as good as any I've flown elsewhere. The maintenance, instruction and facilities are all excellent.

Cheers

APO

no sponsor
7th Nov 2005, 20:22
I believe PTC have a base out of Bournemouth. I met many of their students while I did my IR at another school earlier this year. Most got first-time passes, and they all seemed a happy bunch.

Mind you, instructors change, and people move on; and schools are only as good as their instructors. I would not recommend my school to anyone, since 75% of the instructors have moved elsewhere and it would be an unfair bias.

pneumatic boot
8th Nov 2005, 01:57
As a current CPL student attending MFC I have to say that the level of instruction that we are receiving is excellent. There are 2 full time JAA instructors at present for four students. Since I have arrived I have seen 4 students pass their CPL skill test first time. 3 of the 4 have gone on to Bournemouth for their IR and the final was already Instrument rated. If they were not satisfied with the level of instruction they had received would they continue training with PTC!

Their is a new fleet of Diamond DA 20's here but with the Canadian students here availability can be difficult. Cessna's on the other hand are readily available and scheduling are very accommodating with short notice requests. The planes are all airworthy and maintained on time.

Management are also approachable and have on numerous occassions stopped us to ask about our progress. Very much an open door operation.

The accommodation is however quite expensive for what you receive. I would compare it to a prison cell with bunk beds. It does have its own tv and wireless internet (sometimes). It costs 375 canadian dollars but if you are planning to stay in Moncton for a while you can rent some really good houses nearby for cheaper than the colleges' accommodation. They are taking advantage of the students who come for short courses eg CPL.

The only negative element of training at Moncton is the weather. You wil lose some time to weather but that's is to be expected of Canada during the winter.

I noticed that somebody said to contact Darragh Owens from PTC in Waterford. Is this actually possible. I have called in to PTC waterford, emailed and left phone messages but never once got a response. I have heard mixed reports about training in Waterford and would appreciate if anyone had any first hand knowledge as I cant seem to get it from them!

vestedinterestagent
8th Nov 2005, 13:48
Isn't that posting from Mike (MEG@DK) just a little too rosy? Very opportune too, as people make plans for where they will do their flying next year. Nothing like a bit of stealth marketing, eh?

Mike, declare your commercial interest with this school. How much income have you derived from them over the past years? Looking to go back, perhaps?

As for those Diamonds, you forgot to mention a little engine failure outside the circuit with a low hours solo ppl student on-board.

Bill

Farrell
9th Nov 2005, 23:18
Not to mention that the "guy running the school" and the poster coincidentally have the same name.

Very difficult when muscle memory takes over when you sign off on a document :E

2PWRR
10th Nov 2005, 17:42
Ok if you are going flying in the atlantic region of Canada, expect bad weather in the winter (this is Canada you know) I flew helicopters for 2 years in Newfoundland so I have some knowledge of the local weather, also I have some friends who did their cpl multi Ir in moncton and had nothing but good things to say about their training

On the other hand you could stay in the uk and pay uk prices or you could go to Moncton stay for a week or so and make a decision from there rather than listen to the tribe on the forums

Cheers Taff

MEG@DK
12th Nov 2005, 12:25
Nice to hear that MFC hasn't gone all bad in the time I've been away. apoball you'll get used to the blueberries, go for the boot that's a good start to a blurry night...;)

For people like vestedinterestagent (Bill) and Farrell, I shouldn't really honour you with a respond but I've got a couple of minutes to kill.

Pprune is not quite what it once was, the idea behind the Forum was that people were free to post their oppinions on as large a subject as aviation. It came to be a very usefull place for young Wannabe's to get some good and bad feedback on schools they themselves were considering. However people misunderstood the good idea and started comming with comments and remarks that had nothing to do with the subject being discussed and the Forum became less and less usefull for relevant information.

I read the start of this post and couldn't understand pointedinfinity comments, since I had been at MFC just about 8 months ago and loved it. Therefore I chose to give a picture of what I had experienced at the school. It might be a little rosy, but thats because I have seen a few civilian as well as RAF places that could learn alot from the way MFC is run.

I can asure you that I have no commercial interest in MFC and I have no plans to ever go back. I am currently working in the UK on a civilian contract as flight instructor for the RAF and teaching PPL and IMC on the side.

For your sharp discovery on my name being the same as the guys running the school and therefore we must be the one and same person, I don't really know how to comment on. I'm not alowed to use bad words in the forum :mad: , but with sharpness like that you will soon be captaining something big. Who knows you might even run into another pilot some day called Mike, not to worry though we all own out own multi million dollar flight establishments

I'm sure that you both in some way can understand the concept of either you bring something relevant to a discussion or maybe you should just read the posts and let that be that. If you have any experience from MFC I'm sure there is loads of people out there that would love to hear them whether good or bad, but if you are just sorry individuals wasting time because you don't have the character to get an aviation job, I think you should keep irelevant comments to the telly on champions league nights.

To everyone else sorry for the bad tone and may you all have as good a time at Moncton as i did and for the interested ones yes the canadian girls are quite accomodating...;)

Cheers

Mike ( As 5 million other parents have named their kids! )

Farrell
12th Nov 2005, 15:41
Thanks very much for your input Mike. :ok:

sexygirl
12th Nov 2005, 23:34
Farrell,

As ever, thank you for your input

Mike - yes another one!

vestedinterestagent
13th Nov 2005, 14:21
"if you are just sorry individuals wasting time because you don't have the character to get an aviation job"

Nice One, Mike. I guess you've just insulted some 1000+ fATPLs who for one reason or another are doing other things! :D

Then again, given your current stated employment, why should this latent attitude be a surprise. It's all about "the right stuff", and "character building" bashing, isn't it?

Carry this through to the world of CIVILIAN training, and you get a not too nice result. And maybe correctly so.

Very sad

darragh_ptc
19th Nov 2005, 16:17
by pneumatic boot:

I have called in to PTC waterford, emailed and left phone messages but never once got a response. I have heard mixed reports about training in Waterford and would appreciate if anyone had any first hand knowledge as I cant seem to get it from them!

Oops, we've slipped up. Apologies, pneumatic, please check your PMs.

blackrogue
19th Nov 2005, 19:23
15 years ago I completed my private and commercial in a 6 month period at the MFC. Great place to get it done quick. That's what it's about isn't...do it quick so you can build time.

Just watch their billing math. They may want you to do some extra hours (how else are they going to get your money). Study and do it in the required amount of time and you will save your money.

I am flying the A320 now.

pointedinfinity
20th Nov 2005, 13:37
Student: Isn’t it cold there. Won’t training be a problem?
Moncton: Naw, no problem. The climate here is quite mild. We have X VFR days a year. You can fly all the way down to –30C. We’re set up for it!
Student: Hmm. Ok, they must know what they are talking about.
Actuality: Temperatures in winter generally –20 and below. Little flying below –20. Almost none below –25 (quite common).

Student: Can we fly at the week-ends, when the weather clears
Moncton: Naw, instructors only work weekdays.
Student: What the hell is going on?

Student: Isn’t there a problem with that Airspeed indicator. It’s under-reading by 15 knots in straight and level at ops manual rpm (Student doing timed cross-country)
Moncton: The only way you can know that the ASI is wrong is by having it calibrated. Its been certified.
Student: Incredible. I must need to do my Class 1 medical eye-test again.

Student: Is this plane rigged properly? It seems to be in permanent yaw.
Moncton: You’re just not used to flying these – it takes practice
Student: I think over 50 hours already in this training type would be enough practice. What arrogance.

Student: What’s the lesson today?
Moncton: Don’t you know what your course is?
Student: They have not got a clue what the basic course structure consists of. I really like paying to teach myself.

Student: Which way do I turn on partial panel as the turn you’ve asked for works out to be greater than 180 degrees?
Moncton: You work it out.
Student: Yep, I really like paying to teach myself.

Student: I’m not happy with this
Moncton: There can’t be a problem – we’re all great
Student: I’m dealing with Ostriches – with their heads in the sand. These people are trying it on.

KrazyKraut
20th Nov 2005, 18:03
Pointedinfinity, when were you at Moncton and which course were you doing?

Which person at Moncton are you quoting in your last post? Who at MFC/PTC made those statements?

Can you elaborate and provide (f)actual details, or are you just making this stuff up for one or another reason?

Are you just another saddo who under the cover of anonymity talks crap on PPRuNe?

KK

1800-how'smyflying
20th Nov 2005, 23:20
pointedinfinity:

"Student: Can we fly at the week-ends, when the weather clears
Moncton: Naw, instructors only work weekdays."

I remember walking into the JAA office at 8am on a Saturday morning and seeing all the instructors there, the only time I had no weekend flying was if I asked for it off to go out, or the weather was bad.

"Student: Isn’t there a problem with that Airspeed indicator. It’s under-reading by 15 knots in straight and level at ops manual rpm (Student doing timed cross-country)"

Your some man if you can tell the speed better than your ASI, ops manuals tend to be a bit off for older a/c, try increasing your RPM next time, or amend your time.

"Student: Which way do I turn on partial panel as the turn you’ve asked for works out to be greater than 180 degrees?"

How was a turn more than 180 degrees? If heading North and asked to turn right onto west, turn right. If asked to turn to west, turn left, I'd have thought?

"Student: I’m not happy with this"

I think we got that point by now.

I finished my CPL there last month and was happy with the school, I agree with 'pneumatic boot', that the only negative was weather, but if anyone was going during the summer I'd definatly recommend the place, and even at this time of year I'd just advise to allow a little extra time for wx delays.

My two cents.

604guy
20th Nov 2005, 23:21
I have been watching this thread for awhile now and there has been so much crap on here that I have wondered if someone was just having a go but some of the recent postings really were over the top.

First off, I do not work for MFC....I did 30 years ago however when I was an instructor there.

It really isn't -25 or lower that often as pointedinfinity would have you believe. And the few times that it is that temperature or lower I still see the MFC aircraft operating when we fly through CYQM.

Instructors definately, WITHOUT QUESTION, work seven days per week. I have witnessed it as recently as a week ago when I was in the building checking things out for one of my sons on a Saturday evening. We also have hired two former instructors from MFC in that last couple of years and they fell over laughing when they read that comment.

As for the rest of your remarks...........if you didn't make the grade it really is quite a character flaw on your part to blame your shortfalls on others.

pointedinfinity
21st Nov 2005, 14:49
As I have already broken my own promise to keep away from this subject, I'm going to reply.

1-800 – Congrats. I have no desire to put you down, but you may wish to look again at your ATPL ASI theory. You may wish to consider the impact of a blocked static tube on the reading, and the potential dangers of an under-reading or otherwise untrustworthy ASI on more critical flight phases, such as take-off or approach. You may also wish to review the light aircraft accident statistics on same. I guess that's one of the things those long runways are for. Maybe your view on the subject may change if you were told by the instructor present to ignore the ASI, and you then flew a 30 minute leg to destination within 40secs of target time on visual attitude only. But then you know all this, don't you?

Krazy - I could not make this stuff up if I wanted too, incredible as it may seem.

604 – You are the second poster harping back to the good old days. Great. Then in the absence of any other items of substance, you resort to the old “character assassination” ploy. All else failing, that should work! You might care to look up something called “the Pygmalion Principle”, or in other words, you generally get what you go looking for. Look for “character flaws” and you'll find them, look for superior performance in a positive manner, you'll likely get that too. Me, I prefer to look at the positive, until I have unfortunately, no other choice. To do otherwise takes you down some nasty roads – but that's exactly what one of Monctons little training manual anecdotes (which you probably read some time ago) promotes. Nice.

If being 100% unwilling to be happy about being sold a pup is a flaw, then I am quite happy to be considered a flawed character. When I undertake to do something for someone, I do it, and make sure that I have the time, expertise and capabilities to deliver on the promises I make. Just for the record my progress is within norms (then you probably don't want to believe that either).

Have fun.

KrazyKraut
21st Nov 2005, 15:31
Pointedinfinity, stop throwing teddies.

Instead, how about you answer my questions, which might give your posting / ranting at least some credibility?

KK

604guy
29th Nov 2005, 11:37
pointedinfinity:

My my, touched a nerve did I? Please explain how I was harping back to the good old days? My only reference to history was my confession of working there 3 decades ago. The rest of my posting was clearly referring to very recent events. Should you wish to continue to twist and distort that is entirely your prerogative but most people tend to see through that. And yes you are correct; people tend to see what they are looking for.... your response spoke volumes.

pointedinfinity
29th Nov 2005, 12:14
....exactly as intended!! :D

Trislander
2nd Dec 2005, 16:08
eh?
:confused:

zivd
2nd Aug 2006, 22:23
Does anyone has any experience / comments of Moncton flight college in Canada? eg. Does it have a good reputation, especially in europe?
I know this school is operated by Cabair, and Cabair has a really good reputation in UK, So what is the difference between Moncton, Cabair or maybe OAT? I am not so sure about these except Moncton offers a cheaper price in Canada with JAA european licences.

After completing my PPL, I was thinking of going to one of these schools to do the JAA fATPL and modular program.

any advices would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

KrazyKraut
4th Aug 2006, 20:33
Zivd,

MFC is one of the leading Canadian ab-initio schools, and (to my knowledge) the only one approved to conduct JAA courses in Canada.

USA and Canadian prices are cheaper mainly because of lower fuel costs. However, there are huge differences in training quality between the different US/Canada-based JAA FTOs, and it pays to research carefully.

Never pay upfront.

KK

zivd
4th Aug 2006, 21:26
KK, thank you for your replied. However, what do you mean by the differences in training quality between schools in States and Canada-based JAA FTOs??? I have never been to the States or Canada for any flight researches, perhaps I might visit these two places if I have chance, but it will cost me a lot of money to travel around since I am living in UK at the moment. Therefore, I would like to know more schools in the States / Canada (especially Monction) from this forum.
UK is my first priority, however, are these schools in the States / Canada comparable to any european ones?
I actually went to OAT and Stapleford last week. What I've found only are differences between the school history, buildings, facilities, airport, aircrafts fleet, flight sim, accommodation etc... I couldn't tell the differences based on the training quality. Could you give me some advice here? thank you so much. :)

cheers,
zivd

KrazyKraut
4th Aug 2006, 22:35
Zivd, some of the North American schools are comparable in terms of training quality to the best UK FTOs, whereas some others take the sort of shortcuts which leave students disadvantaged and ocassionally out of pocket. Hence I said, don't pay for the course in advance. However, these things are not related to location - it depends on the school you're dealing with.

OAT is an excellent school in the UK and their facilities and instruction are top-notch. The same cannot be said for certain overseas FTOs - costs have to be cut in order to offer rock-bottom prices.

The question is really whether you're after 'cheapest, fastest' licence or quality (slightly more expensive) training. In the world of FTOs, as everywhere else, there is a general correlation between course price and the level of facilities/instruction. However, since some people just want fast and cheap, there are those pilot factories which will happily comply.

I'm not in a position to promote any one school on pprune. Also, many posts on this forum are - by their nature - biased and not representative, since most people never see more than a few FTOs but then think they're experts on the subject. Then you'll read stuff like "xxx is the best school"/"my instructor soendso was without equal"/"the worst school ever"... you catch my drift.

You should ask *specific* questions about the FTO you're interested in on pprune and people will respond. For instance, how did the management/instructors treat you at xxx?

Talk to the FTOs as well and ask very specific questions (so you won't just hear the marketing blurb). But don't be sweet-talked by a marketeer who will have his, not your, interests at heart. You'll get the idea.

Yeah,

KK.

zivd
4th Aug 2006, 23:20
kk, Thank you very much for your information. As you might notice I am new to this forum.
I deeply appreciated your kindness.

cheers,

BA123
10th Jan 2007, 13:51
Hey guys and girls anybody got any views on this fto, much appreciated !!:ok:

apoball
10th Jan 2007, 15:20
BA123..

I left Moncton last Summer after my CPL flight test and was very happy with how everything went out there. On top of that, I had a really good time.

PM me if you want details.

Cheers,

APO

Billo
13th Mar 2007, 23:10
Does Anybody have any Idea About Moncton Flight College (MFC) ?

Just Let Me know please!!!

Thank You

Scoobster
14th Mar 2007, 00:23
A search on the forum may help... Moncton has been covered in some threads if I recall in the Canada section...

Scoobster

BA123
14th Mar 2007, 11:43
I am on my way to Moncton flight college tommorow morning from heathrow for 3 months to complete a jaa ppl, night qualification and hour building. I will keep posting to let you all know of my experiences

Scoobster
14th Mar 2007, 17:16
BA,

I wish you all the best in obtaining your PPL and ratings.

It would be excellent if you could possibly keep a mini-diary of your experience whilst at Moncton from diverse aspects of getting there, transport, fleet to the more nitty-gritty of flying, instructors etc., it may help wannabes in making that elusive decision about attending Moncton or not.

There doesn't seem to be any recent threads regarding Moncton.

I have also placed Moncton along with ProIFR for in my shortlist for commencing flight training. What swayed your decision in picking MFC?

Looking forward to your updates..

Good Luck :ok:

nibi786
14th Mar 2007, 21:16
:ok: Hi all!!

I am a recent student of the flight college at Moncton - and let me say it is an absolutely amazing FTO. They operate very professionally, with a wonderful atmosphere! The students there are all enthusiastic about flying and the instructors have double the passion. The instruction is of a very high standard and everything you do is well worth your money, the briefings help imensly with your training and development as a professional aviator. The instructors are not passing hour builders, they are people that want to make a vareer in the training side of aviation, hence the quality in training. I am a very judgemental person and scrutinise things to the finest of details - i am returning back to the college in two months for my hour building MECPL and Night rating - i would not return if it was not this good. I have yet to see/hear of a FTO that supercedes this college and its training. Please feel free to contact me for any info, i only provide honest opinions - and if you choose this college, then be sure to enter the aviation world as a pro ;)

Nibi:ok:

Moodster
15th Mar 2007, 12:28
Hi

I'm in a bit of a dilemma and torn between Moncton and OFT and hoping you can help me in making a decision.

I've read good reviews about Moncton and the quality of instruction. I've got a few questions so here goes.

1) Moncton state it can take from 4 - 6 weeks to complete the PPL.
Has anyone done it in less than 4 weeks?

2) What was the weather like? Based on weather how many times a day to you get to fly?

3) Is it preferable to do the exams before going there?

Money wise I think OFT is a good option but I don't feel comfortable being pushed through in 3 weeks and at the end of the day they way I see it is if you receive good instruction in your PPL that builds a strong foundation for all future flying.

Thanks in advance.

Turbine King
15th Mar 2007, 20:46
... but I don't feel comfortable being pushed through in 3 weeks and at the end of the day they way I see it is if you receive good instruction in your PPL that builds a strong foundation for all future flying.

You answered yourself here moodster and you are so right

Gez
16th Mar 2007, 04:53
Hi all

Moncton Flight College is about quality and safety. It's not about rushing students through the training. You will get a great flight instructor and really good ground school. I have not been to the schools in Florida, but from my experience I cannot see how one could complete a PPL in three or four weeks and then expect to be a safe pilot.

MFC should not be compared to the schools in Florida because they have a completely different way of doing things. MFC will give you a really sound foundation to build upon. It will cost you a little bit more and take you a little longer, but things will be done right. You get what you pay for!

I did my PPL with MFC and will go back to do my CPL once I get done with the ATPLs!

Gez

PrecisionLandings
16th Mar 2007, 14:26
Hi Guys I am heading out to Moncton on the 30th March really looking forward to it sounds like they are a quality outfit, on OFT i did my PPL out there about four years ago really enjoyed it, but like anything in aviation allow longer than three weeks due to weather etc.

Glen

LostAndFound
16th Mar 2007, 21:40
from my experience, if you want quality instruction, go to moncton.OFT is not as good as moncton.

BA123
18th Mar 2007, 02:45
I have only been at Moncton for 3 days now and have not flown yet because i am due to start on monday. the instructors are really nice people and the student accomodation outside the flight college is excellent. The town is also a very friendly place and if you need a question answering anywhere somebody will be happy to help. I cannot wait to start my training with MFC as it is clear to me already that they concentrate purely on quality of training and also safety. one thing trainees need to remember is that there is no such thing as a guaranteed pass !!!

ComeBackAtX-Mas
15th Apr 2007, 20:44
Hi BA

Im also interested in doing my PPL, just out of interest how much has this course cost you, including everything I.E Living Expences etc

Thanks

Sam

Hairdo
17th Apr 2007, 01:12
Hi CBAXmas

I know you asked BA the question but I'll tell you what i can.

Living costs vary on where you want to be. If you want to live on campus, its more expensive ($350(double)/$500(single person) i think) but these accommodations were intended for people who weren't going to be here long (guess that changed) off campus gets you a place for $350 to $450 but $400cdn can get you a fairly nice place. the nicer places tend to be a bit farther from the college but they are worth it.
Food costs depend on how much and what you eat :) but around $150/mo.

As far as course costs, i can't help you there because I'm in the Canadian Diploma program, but I am sure one of the JAA guys can answer that.

If you have any questions, I will try to answer them the best I can.

Hairdo

flyca
16th May 2007, 06:03
It does seem Moncton Flight College is expending quite rapidly as news reports are suggesting they are planning to open up a 2nd campus as soon as next month (June 2007)...

More details are available at http://en.carnoc.com/list/2/2723.html

Regards.

smith
29th Jun 2007, 07:15
How do you get to Moncton on arrival from the UK? Is Halifax your best bet to fly into? What do you do next?

jamestkirk
29th Jun 2007, 17:30
I know no more about the school itself than anyone else.

Although, I have met the CFI for MFC a good few times. He seems to me to be a thorough and professional individual who takes his job and his responsibilities very seriously.

And before anyone pipes back let me say that I have ABSOLUTELY NO CONNECTION WITH MFC WHATSOEVER.