PDA

View Full Version : Working in Canada

Hogfather
2nd Jul 2000, 00:38
I am emigrating to Canada next year but dont know if it is worth doing a CAA LWTR before I go. Is it worth it or should I wait and do the Canadian licences when I get there?

Any ideas would be appreciated.Also any info onjobs for ex mil techs (22 years).

Macdu
2nd Jul 2000, 01:05
Like probably everywhere in the world, companies are in desperate need for experienced Engineers. If you are planning to settle in Toronto, all of the charters are hiring. Skyservice, Air Transat, Canada 3000, Royal Airlines. I even heard that Skyservice is looking at sponsoring work permits for qualified Engineers with Airbus experience.

Coming here with an AMEL definitely helps landing a job, however, when applying for your Canadian AMEL you have to write all basic exams again.

Goodluck!

Multi-X
2nd Jul 2000, 01:25
Having had dealings with Skyservice in the past, you would be well advised to stay clear.

If you want to work for a really professional company in Toronto try Canada 3000. Well set up & run hangar. All staff very friendly & helpfull.

Macdu
2nd Jul 2000, 01:45
Oviously the choice would be yours when you get here. For somebody who is new to the country and looking for a job, beggars can't be choosy.

Airtransat has the most aircraft in it's fleet, Canada 3000 well organized and more inclined to hire Brits, Royal no comment, Skyservice in the verge of expansion with thier new Roots Air, would you rather be the big fish in the pond? Your choice.

Multi X, hope you're not from FLS coz the Skyservice guys based in UK are on the prowl!

[This message has been edited by Macdu (edited 01 July 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Macdu (edited 01 July 2000).]

cotos
2nd Jul 2000, 05:25
Skyservice are offering assistance in migrating to Canada, however they are offering about cdn$48000 for Transport Canada AME 2/Airbus Endorsed Licensed eng's, about $16000 less than Air Canada pay.

Multi-X
2nd Jul 2000, 14:52
MACDU - I was not talking about the LAEs, most of the ones I have dealt are very good. For the corporate side all very plush but then spending the customers money is no problem. However the pax side left a lot to be desired. They had no spares & some of the management had no clue how to maintain large pax aircraft.

rvsm
2nd Jul 2000, 16:52
To those interested in working in Canada.
charter airline with license-$48,000cdn
Air Canada with or without license but with experience about $48,000cdn.that is at a mech 1 level.most people start at mech 1 and move to cert engineer when one is available and the union says you have seniority to bid for it-so in short all the airlines pretty much pay the same ,it is the extra perks that make the difference.
As for skyservice, in my experience I can tell you this-no spares-no hangar-no training-no pension-no flight benefits-no respect.unless you are a biscuit shooter and then the world is your oyster!

Hogfather
2nd Jul 2000, 23:00
Cheers for the advice.

Is it possible to gain a Canadian AMEL as a Brit? I will soon have my entry visa and I get a resettlement package from the MOD. Can anyone tell me of colleges etc. where I can study for the exam?

cotos
4th Jul 2000, 15:11
No problem being a Brit, Air Canada has Brits, Germans, Americans and Swiss in Europe with AMEL's. Best place to look for training schools in Canada is on Transport Canada's website - www.tc.gc.ca (http://www.tc.gc.ca)
macdu, is there a surplus of AME M2 Licensed guys in Canada since Canadian's demise or is the country still short.

HiSpeedTape
5th Jul 2000, 00:08
Canada 3000 ?
They send their crappiest aircraft over here every summer for JMC/Monarch/FLS to put right for them.

rvsm
5th Jul 2000, 06:58
cotos,
there is still a demand for engineers here in Canada. Even with the demise of Canadian, the Air Canada/Canadian maintenance departments are still run seperately.Air Canada is looking to hire, as well as Canadian, even with the impending merger of the maintenance departments.Also almost every charter,cargo and regional outfit are looking for experienced engineers,preferably with type ratings that suit their needs.
hope this helps

[This message has been edited by rvsm (edited 05 July 2000).]

cotos
5th Jul 2000, 16:25
rvsm, thanks for info. I guess having an Transport Canada AMEL M2 might help too!!