View Full Version : All BA Flights grounded at LHR

LBIA
11th Aug 2005, 16:39
Hi

just watching Sky News and BBC News, They are saying that all British Airways Short and Long Haul flights from London Heathrow Terminal 1,2,3 & 4 are grounded due to industrial action.

15 Flights inbound to LHR have also been diverted so far.

jamesbrownontheroad
11th Aug 2005, 17:11
From BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4142408.stm) @ 1806hr.

Thousands of people are stranded at Heathrow where all British Airways flights have been temporarily grounded by an escalating industrial row.
Check-ins are suspended at three terminals, some flights have been cancelled and others diverted.

BA baggage handlers, loaders and bus drivers have walked out in sympathy with workers at Gate Gourmet.

The firm, which provides BA's in-flight meals, sacked 800 staff over an unofficial strike on Wednesday.

Action by Gate Gourmet staff was already affecting BA yesterday, as the airline cancelled four flights because of a lack of food.

By Thursday, passengers were being given food bags and vouchers to buy food before boarding flights, but the queues meant some check-in desks had to be closed.

Now flights have been directly affected as some BA staff, represented by the same union as the Gate Gourmet workers, have also staged an unofficial walk-out.

Passengers at Terminal 4 receive food parcels before departure

BA says there is little it can do as the walk-out is related to a dispute outside its control.

But it has had to cancel 62 short-haul flights and divert 14 inward-bound flights.

The airline is putting on coaches to ferry passengers between airports and will make a decision at 1830 BST as to whether to cancel all flights.

BBC correspondent Russel Hayes said the Transport and General Workers' Union (TGWU), recognised the walk-out by BA staff was illegal "wildcat" action, and was trying to persuade them back to work.

The union held talks with Gate Gourmet on Thursday and said it was hoping for a "definitive statement" from the firm by 2100 BST.

Gate Gourmet has said it will not re-instate staff and said it had told the union it was facing a financial crisis.

It said the actions of the staff had jeopardised the livelihoods of the entire 2,000-strong workforce.

Gate Gourmet's Andy Cook told BBC News: "We are in the situation at the moment where we need to make changes.

"We really do want to do that with the cooperation of the union and the staff but we have to manage the business otherwise it will cease to exist."

But the TGWU said managers had provoked the dispute and the union was taking legal advice.

Kuldip Banger, one of the sacked members of staff said: "I can't express my feelings. I'm really hurting. I couldn't sleep, I couldn't eat and I don't know what to say any more."

A Heathrow Airport spokesman said: "There is likely to be considerable delays to British Airways services for the rest of the day."

*j*

LBIA
11th Aug 2005, 17:26
Heathrow Disruption 11 August 2005

Summary
British Airways wishes to sincerely apologise but due to circumstances beyond our control we regret to announce the cancellation of all our remaining Shorthaul and Domestic services today.

Passengers affected by these cancellations have been advised to leave the terminal building as they will not be flying today.

Passengers are advised to do one of the following:

Contact Reservations on 0800 727 800 to make an alternative booking or arrange a refund.

If you have booked with a travel agent please call them to make an alternative booking or refund for you.

ASCIL
12th Aug 2005, 10:27
Just at work in Jersey at the moment. Comercial policy seems to state that we can:

1) "Rebook onto the next available BA Service"
2) "Reroute to the destination on the ticket using BA services or those of another airline"
3) Give a full refund.

I've just had a phone call from our Jersey-based office telling us that if passengers are to be rerouted onto other airlines, they need to purchase that ticket and write into BA with all their receipts for a refund for the tickets iof the other airlines.
Very strange
:ugh:

airhumberside
12th Aug 2005, 12:39
What time did BA staff at LHR walk out yesterday. I was there from about 1pm to 3pm yesterday and everything seemed fine

LBIA
12th Aug 2005, 13:11
Now these no flights from BA at London Heathrow till 20:00

latest taken from www.ba.com

Summary
British Airways has extended its flight cancellation programme at London Heathrow airport until 8pm tonight (UK time)Friday 12 August.

The extension of the flight cancellations is a direct result of on-going unofficial industrial action being taken by some British Airways employees belonging to the Transport and General Workers Union. The action, by around 1000 staff in key operational areas at London Heathrow, is believed to be in support of former employees of Gate Gourmet, the British Airways catering supplier.

All customers booked to travel from London Heathrow before 8pm today should not come to the airport as we are experiencing heavy congestion at the terminals. We would ask for your patience and understanding during this very difficult time.

Customers due to fly to London Heathrow today should check with their local British Airways office or ba.com before starting their journey.

Customers can check the latest information on ba.com. British Airways will re-book customers due to travel on cancelled flights but this is likely to be after the weekend. Alternatively customers can book to travel to an alternative destination or take a refund.