PDA

View Full Version : Ek F/o $8000

balsam
11th Aug 2005, 14:54
hello all.

just was told by an EK f/o that he makes around $ 8000 a month total , didnt tell me how. can that be true ? 2 yrs in the company.

SecurID
11th Aug 2005, 16:26
I don't even make that and I'm not an FO, I'm the other one....

Maybe he did one month of serious overtime and is counting his housing allowance (which he has to spend on rent...)

Obfuscation
11th Aug 2005, 17:10
Is a UAE national F/O on the same scale as the expats? What about housing, medical and other benefits? And how about the cadets?

330 Man
12th Aug 2005, 06:52
$8,000 a month total implies the entire package. Housing, schooling, medical, retirement etc. It all depends on the value you give to your housing and utilities. The starting salary is still less than 5000 us a month.

Regards,

330 Man

A330guy
12th Aug 2005, 07:37
of course it should be the whole package - should he leave the housing and schooling benefits out?? When QR people mention their salary it is housing included as they don't get company accommodation (and no utilities paid) so it is only fair to add an extra 10 000 or so onto EK salaries to get a total.

mach-hog
13th Aug 2005, 15:46
:cool: ... this lad's full of... hot air. It's about 5,000USD/Month before o'time, currency balancing and the generous telephone allowance... quantifying the rest is pointless for most people.

Always more month than pay left...

in limbo
13th Aug 2005, 16:28
Keep in mind that it is tax free.

SecurID
13th Aug 2005, 16:46
The salary might be tax free, but do you pay 3 and a half quid for half a dozen free range eggs at your local grocery store? A packet of breakfast cereal is about the same. Cars used to be very, very cheap; a BMW 3 series was about Dhs79,000 (12,000 quid) when I joined, now they start at over Dhs120,000 (18,500 quid) that's an increase of 65% in 7 years! Land Rover Discovery's started at about the same, now they start at something like Dhs140,000!!! :uhoh:

Rents were on average Dhs90,000 in Jumeirah, now they are almost double that. But Emirates provide company housing right? Take the house instead of the allowance and you're safe from rental market fluctuations and the ever increasing costs of keeping the house cool and the plants watered, right? Well, yes, and no. If the costs are outside EKs budgeted figure, they will ask you to move, or pay the difference. Emirates are certainly not immune to rent market forces. It was always a misconception that the Sheikh Ahmed Villas were owned by our very own Shiekh Ahmed. Well, hello! No they're not. Some other greedy Sheikh, also called Ahmed, could decide to put the rents up and suddenly 248 pilots could be in the same situation as some other pilots, pay up or move out. Could this happen? Well, it has been rumoured... Any manager care to dispel the rumour?

A booze licence was Dhs100, now it's Dhs150 (for those of you mathematically challenged, that's a 50% increase) and there are many, many more examples of the ever increasingly high cost of living here in DesertDisney.

But, to top it all, the Time Out and What's On magazines were free, you just took the copy you were reading on the flight deck home with you. Now it will cost you your job! ;)

No, In Limbo, there's no tax at all...

But wait, wasn't there an article, a headline article no less, in the Khaleej Times? Something about the UAE Treasury asking the IMF for assistance in setting up a VAT scheme?

For those of you trying to wade through the pros and cons of the arguments set forth here regarding the Emirates starting salary for an F/O, I think that I can categorically state that if you are the average Joe Bloe with wife, 2.2 offspring and require a moderate standard of living, then the salary is about Dhs 5,000 short of the mark. Anyone care to support that? Or maybe I'll get shot down in flames.... :cool:

Off to the clinic to join Cerberus in the queue for a new typing finger...

SecurID
13th Aug 2005, 21:05
Announced today in the Gulf news was the fact that the long awaited law regarding expats owning property has been approved by HH Sheikh Khalifa. So that's good news, right?

Errrr, well, no, not really. It only applies to Abu Dhabi at present and only in specific investment areas. OK, that will also be applied to Dubai, there's no doubt about that. But, it only applies to the property itself. The land is leased! So freehold? I don't think so...

A little off topic, but 'money related' all the same.

Keep discovering, whatever... :*

Scudsy
16th Aug 2005, 19:59
Telecommunications is for most areas a monopoly and the Intenet connection is utterly rubbish! US$140 per month per megabit leased. Compare that to US$20 per month in the USA, US$28 per month in UK. A cabbage costs about $2! Just some examples. Gasoline is ridiculously cheap (AMEN). So I would have to agree with the above posts, that things are getting mighty expensive.

millerscourt
16th Aug 2005, 20:28
SecurID I think you will find that F/O White Knight is more than your average Joe Bloe with more than 2.2 brats and he seems to manage quite well on an EK F/O salary, although his idea of a night out is to go to Ajmans for a British Balti which perhaps explains it:ok:

CAYNINE
21st Aug 2005, 08:38
I just can't understand why you are still here SecureID. Mate I feel for you.

Don't know how long you've been here, if it has been a considerable period I can understand how the changes are effecting your view of the ME.

If it's that bad.......

White Knight
21st Aug 2005, 18:12
MC - my my. how deluded you are:rolleyes: NO brats in my house - they've been taught manners thank you very much. And you're close but I've never been to Ajmans. they come to me:{ :{

And what is explained pray tell me??? Really, you need to get a life and stop shadowing my every move :}