PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter ATP

Captain Pheremone
11th Aug 2005, 11:50
Hi guys.

Phoning in from the deepest continent, have not had a castle for a couple of weeks.

Please someone with 5 min to spare give me a quick rundown on any schools that offer ATP Exam prep, specifically included for a Helicopter ATP.

Contact e-mail would be good. Thanks

Gunship
11th Aug 2005, 12:21
I phoned three friends in the business and they said we do not do it in SA. Sorry mate ... he said it is an English thing.

I have a name of a person of a flying school in Grand Central that does it in his spare time. Will PM you his number as soon as I get it !

Cheers and good luck.

Gunsss

Gunship
11th Aug 2005, 13:23
I have send you the name and tel numbers via PM mate.

Cheers and good luck !

Gunsss

Rhodie
11th Aug 2005, 14:39
Try Bassair:

www.bassair-aviation.co.za

www.helicopter-training.co.za

Captain Pheremone
11th Aug 2005, 16:39
Hi Guns. Ta for the reply although a bit cryptic. I got a mate and he wants to do his ATP subjects, thats all...not quite sure about the "english thing" but am heading to check my PM.

Ta Rhodie as well....will check out htose sites. I did mine a while ago and the FTC's, Avex's, Aeronav's have all chamged hands so often I can't keep track.

keep the tassies flowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When you wan't to come fly offshore Guns give me a shout. You don't get to shoot at anyone but the USUALLY noboy is shooting at you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ok:

goaround7
11th Aug 2005, 18:23
Why would you want a helicopter bias ? If it's an SA ATPL(H) you want, you have to do all the fixed wing exams anyway, even ATG with supersonics, grid navigation and Flight Planning on a 747. All great fun especially if you are going to fly Air Wolf over the North Pole...

B Sousa
11th Aug 2005, 18:42
GA7 has a good point. Im watching a friend go through all the exams for the CPL now and its a riot. Charts out of date on the tests, numerous questions which barely have anything to do with the industry etc, etc.....Whoever put this testing program together is an archaic moron.
I mean how many of you have taken your compass apart in flight to fix it because you were taught that when taking the License exam.........or a radio fails so you land somewhere and rebuild it with your new found knowledge......
Get real, SA License requirements have Fxxxall to do with flying today for the most part.
You think Im going to sit down and plot fixes off radials, intercepts etc at fl270 for a helicopter, your NUTS.
Besides for Helicopter flying most of us use a GPS. (For the guy who developed testing at SACAA, thats a little box in the aircraft that lets you know whats happening) For those without a GPS SA has lots of road signs (not included in testing)

Also in reality most folks can get good jobs with a Commercial license, with Instrument endorsement. Only when you get to the suit and tie level do companies want an ATP.....and most will help pay for it if they want you to stay on......
Just an Opinion on the Rumor network.....

Gunship
11th Aug 2005, 20:18
Ahhhhh Now I know who you are matey ... long time :ok:

Remember my Cape Town T-Shirt that I wore in Singapore when the Oz press wa son us ? Well wife decided that memories are too good and it is gone ... long tears :{

What I meant is that ATP Prep is a well known thing done in the UK but not so much in SA according to our man that I PMéd you about.

Except this one guy - he does it and does it well :ok:

Mhhh offshore ... mate I have always been a scarey chopper pilot. Love Gunss but the sea and heights and long roping .... nee , no, nada, auna (but thanks) ;)

Hoefie also needs pilot's I hear ..

Court needs 12 isw another rumour ...

You might know ?

Cheers and good luck big one :} :} :}

joshuaw
13th Aug 2005, 09:52
Hi there, I am doing a full ATP course with great school CFA at rand Central in Midrand. The course is supposed to start on Sept 5 and last 7 weeks. You can call them on 011 315 0184. Good luck and if I am correct they ae the school that is offering the course whereas the other guys are only selling self study books.

Captain Pheremone
13th Aug 2005, 12:29
Thanks for all the replies and comments. In interim found this site which lists just about everyone who does training in SA.

http://directory.google.com/Top/Regional/Africa/South_Africa/Transportation/Aviation/

Will give the nescessary a shout.

"Is this the body of a mercenary..he utters showing off his "Number !"beer boep.!!!!!!?" Yeah Gunz I remember wel. What happened to the bravest of the brave....Aubrey??????

krobar
13th Aug 2005, 22:33
I guess the best prep would be by one of the DE's. 3 in Gauteng that I know about. Try ATS at grand central next to CFA, Helibip at Wonderboom, or 43rd/NAC at Rand.
Anyone with more to add, please do.

Tormas
14th Aug 2005, 07:53
Wrote my ATP end of last year, I used a combination of Notes, the best of these believe it or not was an old set of FTC ATP notes, (you won't believe how many questions word for word)
It is also essential to study from the comm notes (mine were Avex very good) I also used Aeronav ATP notes, they were pretty useless.

TIP :cool: Take time off and do fire fighting standby for 4 months ATP a Breeze

Still got some notes if anyone interested

Gunship
16th Aug 2005, 19:50
Saw Luigi today over beers - he send his regards ou grote :p