PDA

View Full Version : 'Not this time, 1time'

Deanw
11th Aug 2005, 08:07
Some more journalistic prose :*

'Not this time, 1time'

10/08/2005

Waldimar Pelser

Johannesburg - A woman left her husband to his fate on Wednesday and insisted on getting off a plane that had had to turn back to Johannesburg International Airport because of a warning about a faulty wing flap.

She was one of more than 100 passengers on 1time's flight T301 to East London, which took off shortly after 07:20, but was back on the ground soon afterwards.

Four passengers refused to fly any further.

A warning light in the cockpit indicated there was something wrong with the MDZ82's wing flap, but, like the kulula.com flight which had been cut short on Tuesday, 1time said Wednesday's scare in the air was a fuss about nothing.

Pieter le Roux, a passenger, had read a news report on Tuesday morning about kulula's flight to Cape Town being cut short because a warning light was flashing.

"I told another passenger about it and joked it might happen to us now," said Le Roux on Wednesday.

Found it was a false alarm

"About 25 minutes after we had taken off, the cabin crew said we had to turn back."

Technicians in Johannesburg immediately began investigating the problem and found it was a false alarm, said 1time chief executive Glenn Orsmond afterwards.

But when the passengers were asked if any one did not want to continue with the flight, Le Roux and three others held up their hands.

One of them was a woman who let her husband fly on his own to East London.

Le Roux said: "One is supposed to inspect the plane beforehand. If I go on a long journey, I check my car's oil, water and see whether my tyres are punmped."

Orsmond said it was "routine" to turn back in the event of a mechanical warning, even if it appeared unnecessary later, and added that "no emergency measures" nor an emergency landing had been necessary on Wednesday.

How they save on costs

He said: "The planes of established airlines regularly turn back, but no one knows it.

"There is no relation between the price (of your air fare) and safety. Only the established airlines in South Africa have had accidents."

Orsmond said 1time saved on costs because it sold tickets via the internet, "has more-productive staff" and "does not provide free meals or airport lounges".

The airline's aircraft were maintained by the firm, Aero Nexus, which had been in operation for more than 10 years and was accredited with the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).

Gunship
11th Aug 2005, 10:52
After all the bad (self - inflicting) press that SAA got over the past months it is no surprise if a "pro - SAA" / "pro Gov" journalist (and I am sure you get them) will write crap like this and the same about Kulula yesterday.

Bleedvalve
12th Aug 2005, 14:09
I believe that the press is with SAA into this bad mouthing of the Low Frills airlines.

Why all of a sudden these bad reporting about 1Time and Kulula? How many SAA flights turn around or are late, but no bad press.

Think SAA and the coverment are behind this bull sh...

Must be difficult to make SAA look good to the puplic?

:confused:

Keep it up 1Time and Kulula. Time to show SAA what they can do to themselves.:ok:

Shrike200
12th Aug 2005, 14:58
Le Roux said: "One is supposed to inspect the plane beforehand. If I go on a long journey, I check my car's oil, water and see whether my tyres are punmped."

Gee, we never ever do that - I mean the plane can take care of itself, right? It never ever needs servicing, or checking, or any kind of preflight at all, right?

This guy must be an imbecile or something....you'd think he would have realised that things do get checked. Perhaps he expects a 'D' check before each flight...

Stayinalive
13th Aug 2005, 10:49
Next time let the poepols go by bus or taxi. Take the journalists with them....Just amazes me that when a decision is made to safeguard their safety in flight they all think they know what it is all about. The average Joe Soap and journalist in this country doesnt know the difference between a light bulb and a lighthouse.....let alone have an understaning of aviation. Dram Queens.......;)
Go 1Time...go:ok:

Banzai-blades
14th Aug 2005, 04:52
It is understandable that the passenger can make an uninformed comment about the maintenance. For a journalist to do "research", which I am sure you do before publishing this type of article, and come up with such a horse :mad: piece of drivel shows you he must be an intern from the SAA spin department.

The Newspaper should be ashamed.

1time sue the bastards!(Bert in the US they would be swamped by laywers now)

safety first. good on you 1time:ok:

APR
14th Aug 2005, 08:01
Yet another cr@ppy piece of aviation journalism. I think we all agree on that.
What amazes me is that when this type of journalism appears and Saa is involved nothing gets said on these forums, but when it's any other airline everbody is up in arms, and somehow Saa gets the blame for it! Jeesshh!

At any rate we all know who maintains the MD82's in this country,
and thier maintenance sucks to say the least. I've experienced it first hand, and my friends who fly for the effected airlines have said the same (although a little more harshly). I'm sure no-one remembers that a couple of months ago 4 of Kuhulula's MD82's went technical at the same time! It won't suprise me if there are many more (professionally handled, as always) air returns by the MD82 operators in this country.
That should make most of you happy, because you'll be able to blame Saa again.:E

Solid Rust Twotter
14th Aug 2005, 09:04
Eh?

Thought Safair did Kulula's MDs and 1Time do theirs through AeroNexus. :confused:

Wozzit got to do with Spoories?

orgasmotron
16th Aug 2005, 11:40
Truly sad the way the press is hurting aviation in SA. Most of the facts that these so-called reporters obtain by means of extensive research, and by speaking to some expert, are actually little snippets gathered by browsing through consumer forums. What a shame.

Crews following procedures, taking care of safety first, even when they know the bad publicity will certainly follow. Then the silly press comes and exploits professionalism and great standards by seeking pure sensationalism. The press are making a mockery of good standards and practises in the aviation industry.

Did the the informed reporter mention perhaps that Kulula and BA/Comair the same except for aircraft type? Surely the same training, operational and maintenance standards apply to both entities?

Have flown 1 Time and Kulula on many occasions. Sure also had a few delays. Never as bad though as my experiences with SAA. Had a 3 hour delay on 1 Time to Durban once but the free ticket was a excellent consillation. Staff always great. Also great bunch of pilots (not skygods). MD82's and DC 9 very comfortable. Food excellent and cheaper than within the airport.

As for SAA guys who regard al things in aviation except SAA as substandard, does'nt Safair also maintain some of your aircaft?Quite a few very good ex SAA engineers work at Safair and Aeronexus and does sterling job there. These low cost carriers would also be a lot better off if they did not have to compete with a state subsidised airline which are forever enaging in dirty tricks and price wars without being able to show a profit.

1 Time and Kulula got the SA public flying again ! Everybody can now afford to fly. Just ask the East London residents. Even SAA pilots uses 1 Time and Kulula. Confirmed airfaires are often lower on these carriers than his/her SAA id 90 ticket.

A friend working for 1 Time told me that a few SAA pilots were given jump seats on 1 Time during the SAA strike, just to get to work.

Maybe the airline industry should start boycotting the press by witholding all avaition related information until such time as the press starts reporting responsibly about aviation.

Go 1 Time and Kulula. Will definately be on board again once back from contract.

Keep up the good work !!!

Solid Rust Twotter
16th Aug 2005, 17:29
1Time has been doing a roaring trade so it's not surprising other airlines are looking for somewhere to put the knife in. The trouble with Kulula seems to have been settled but I'm sure Spoories management are squirming uneasily each time a 1Time ship gets airborne and shows a profit.:ok:

Not a bad little money spinner, by all accounts.....:E