PDA

View Full Version : Are FAA service bulletins regulatory for PART 121 US carriers?

Double_r
21st Nov 2000, 04:34
I am writing a paper for an aviation safety class and I was wondering if FAA service bulletins are regulatory for Part 121 US carries. I just wanted to be accurate.

Thanks,

CJ Starr

redtail
21st Nov 2000, 05:32
You will probably find that manufacturers issue service bulletins and the FAA issues Airworthiness Directives. Service bulletins are a suggestion from the manufacturer, but can be turned into an AD by the FAA. ADs require mandatory compliance if you are an American carrier.

Blacksheep
21st Nov 2000, 15:06
Double_r

As redtail says, Service Bulletins are issued by manufacturers to provide modification or inspection instructions. If the manufacturer thinks they are very important they may issue the SB as an Alert Service Bulletin. Neither type of SB is mandatory. The FAA issue Airworthines Directives that may either make a particular Service Bulletin mandatory or may impose actions of their own, such as requiring a revision to the Airplane Flight Manual.

In your question you mention that your paper is for an Aviation Safety class. Perhaps you are really referring to the FAA's Special Airworthiness Information Bulletins?
SAIBs are not mandatory but provide safety information that is deemed important.

Visit: http://av-info.faa.gov/ad/SAIB%20PAGE.htm

to find out more about Special Aviation Safety Bulletins while you can look at a few Airworthiness Directives to get the general feel of them at: http://av-info.faa.gov/ad/Defaultad.htm

Note that FAA ADs may also be mandatory on non-US registered aircraft too. For example, UK regulations make any AD issued in the State of Manufacture automatically applicable to UK registered aircraft.

I hope you get an "A" :)

Through difficulties to the cinema

Double_r
21st Nov 2000, 22:09
Thanks redtail and Blacksheep,

What are assignment was is that we had to read Michael Crichton's Airframe and write a book report, analysis as if we were an accident investigator and assume that it was real. At one point in the paper we had to define some key terms. Service bullitins and ADs were some of the things brought up. I thought maybe that for the 119,121,135 cariers had to follow the Service bullitins.

It makes sence that they are issued by the manufacturer. It also makes sence that the FAA would have the power to make it regulatory, when they wear their "police" hat. Thank you very much for the clairfication and those links are very good too!

I don't know if you guys read the book or not but some international issues (other then US registered aircraft) were some topics that were mentioned. Now Crichton is not in the aviation industry but absolutly researched the heck out of his book. My instructor has lots of industry experience and in her opinion the book is almost 100% accurate.

Take care and thanks again!!!

CJ Starr

PS, hope I get an A to :-)

redtail
21st Nov 2000, 23:54
Fun book, and I like the professionals vs. amatuers conflict in it. A lot of people outside our industry don't care for us since we have to honor our words and we play for keeps.