View Full Version : For all You Doomsayers about Aviation in Australia

Sunfish
11th Aug 2005, 00:31
It seems that others think we are far from being a "Dead" market.

You might like to read this report from the American State Departement:

http://www.buyusa.gov/australia/en/air.html

Selective quotes:

Australia's aerospace industry employs around 12,000 people with a turnover of $3 billion, of which some $650 million is Australian value added. Exports represent nearly 18 percent of turnover, with imports occupying 80 percent of the domestic market. Imports are valued at around $2-3 billion per year, depending on the phasing of large commercial jet purchases. Imports of aircraft goods from the U.S. have averaged $1.9 billion per year over the part four years.

Australia is geographically and demographically tailor-made for aviation. Geographically, it is the same size as the continental United States. Eighty-five percent of Australia's nineteen million people live for the most part in six major urban areas, between which air travel is still the preferred means of transport. First generations immigrants comprise a quarter of the population, returning by air for holidays to countries of origin. Tourists travel to and from Australia's attractions by air year-round. Flight is essential for industry, commerce, and leisure. The fifth busiest section of general aviation airspace in the world is an area just south of the city of Sydney, and one of the business commuter routes in the world is between Sydney and Melbourne.

Australia boasts one of the highest per capita uses of light aircraft in the world with over 11,000 aircraft utilizing over 270 licensed airports (many of which can be categorized as airfields).

DirectAnywhere
11th Aug 2005, 00:58
Also selective quotes:

With little manufacturing taking place in Australia
The Department of Defense is the largest single customer in this market, accounting for one third of turnover It is unlikely that an aerospace industry would exist in Australia without the government assistance the industry received in prior years

Funny how when you select different quotes from the same report you get a different perspective, hey!?!?

There's also a big difference between the "aerospace" industry and actually flying aeroplanes. With Fisherman's bend making components for Boeing and Airbus I would suggest this would make up the majority of your turnover of $3 billion, of which some $650 million is Australian value added

Interestingly, I couldn't find that figure. The figure I found in the report wasAustralia's aerospace sector employs around 20,000 people, with a turnover of $2.5 billion

With the report in question nearly two years old (8th September 2003) its relevance is questionable to say the least.

Horatio Leafblower
11th Aug 2005, 04:17
We might also question if these figures take the industry as a whole or relate to the GA sector.

I think I know the andswer to that one - the big-end of town is skewing these figures a long way UP. :rolleyes:

GA is the area whose demise is most lamented in these pages and very little is being done by our masters to halt the slide. :mad:

wessex19
20th Aug 2005, 02:52
who ever wrote this report should go and spend a week at Bankstown Airport to see our booming industry first hand!!!!!:mad: