PDA

View Full Version : You've gotta be kidding!..another one down

mattyj
9th Aug 2005, 22:09
I can't beleive the spate of light plane crashes in NZ..its starting to become a trend..Its also affecting the confidence of the public in small plane operators.

This mornings 206 crash at Queenstown brings the total to what..7 in a year?

Hope there are no casualties

Slater
9th Aug 2005, 23:28
The aircraft was a c206 flown by one of the local Milford operators on a flight to Mt Cook with Heli Skiiers. Aircraft over ran the runway, all on board safe and well.

LocoDriver
10th Aug 2005, 00:24
How does a 206 'over-run' Queenstowns runway on take off???
Or was it engine or ice problems????

The last aircraft to overrun at Queenstown, was an Ansett 146 over a decade ago, that skated on ice on landing, then veered off towards the golf course.

:(

Slater
10th Aug 2005, 03:43
Tourists walk away from plane crash

Aug 10, 2005

A light plane has crashed on takeoff from Queenstown Airport.

Five Japanese tourists and their Air Fiordland pilot walked away unhurt after the Cessna 206 they were in nosedived into the runway on lift off, just after 9am on Wednesday.

A Transport Investigation Commission inquiry is underway.

The tourists involved in the crash are continuing with their skiing holiday.

Meanwhile, Qantas and Air New Zealand are clearing a backlog of more than 1,000 passengers delayed after the crash closed the main runway.
http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411365/603360

Fark'n'ell
11th Aug 2005, 08:35
The aircraft did not overun the runway nor did it nosedive in according to rumours. Apparently a control problem.

Emperor Palpatine
11th Aug 2005, 22:32
After viewing the photo on the above link its hard to believe it didnt nose dive into the dirt just after take off. I hope for the pilots sake it comes back as a control problem and not inadequate de-icing of aircraft surfaces on a frosty QN morning.

Fark'n'ell
12th Aug 2005, 07:06
EP

If it nosedived into the deck I would venture to suggest there would be more damage than seen in the photo.
Perhaps Landed heavily on the nosewheel would be a more fitting comment

6080ft
12th Aug 2005, 11:27
I heard from a good source that the accident happened after 2 previous aborted take offs.

Icing?????

Dixons Cider
13th Aug 2005, 22:47
What are you saying 1 mile?
That he tried to take off 2 times, and on the third stoofed in? How do you attempt to take off three times? .....surely not?

6080ft
14th Aug 2005, 00:20
Dixons.....

Its just what i heard, not saying its right - could be wrong.

Dixons Cider
14th Aug 2005, 10:50
Fair enough....just hard to comprehend, thats all.

GOATRIDER
18th Aug 2005, 22:15
Interesting one this one- I've heard that the Queenstown area is full of cash strapped operators (two in particular) who are just waiting for an incident of this nature and are dying to get in on other companies business...apparently it could have been a wake turbulence issue considering the met conditions at the time. Fantastic tho that everyone got out and then carried on to their destination with the same company- THUMBS UP!!!