PDA

View Full Version : Britain Proposes Ban Against Basing Non-UK Aircraft

DUAL RATED
9th Aug 2005, 19:54
Anyone got any input on this? should be interesting topic for some people

The UK's Department of Transport (DOT) last week issued its official proposal to prevent foreign-registered aircraft from being based in the UK “by limiting the time (e.g. 90 days) such an aircraft may spend in the UK in any 12 months.” While the DOT said that “no significant safety issues have come to light” in relation to aircraft registered in the U.S., Bermuda and the Cayman Islands, the agency does not know what other registers are involved or the safety risks associated with those registers. The DOT believes that many private and corporate aircraft based in the UK have been placed on foreign registers “to take advantage of what are perceived as less onerous regulatory requirements.” The use of foreign-registered aircraft to “opt out of the UK regulatory system undermines the harmonized European standards.” There are some “significant differences” even between the U.S. and the UK regulations, according to the DOT. Moreover, aviation authorities in countries at some distance from the UK “can face practical difficulties in ensuring that aircraft on their register but based in the UK comply with their requirements.” The proposal would also require pilots of foreign-registered aircraft to obtain a UK license and type ratings for operating under IFR. Comments on the proposal are due October 28.

Chilli Monster
9th Aug 2005, 21:14
You mean what's already been mentioned here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=185057)

PorcoRosso
12th Aug 2005, 17:58
Amazingly, the french authorities were more or less trying to do the same, 2 years ago . I think they came to the conclusion it was less workload to leave things "as is"

AA717driver
13th Aug 2005, 03:41
Great. Base your aircraft in France and it's a short hop over to Gatwick to pick up the pax. So you might have to fuel in the U.K. but they will lose all the other revenue.

Bureaucrats should have a price on their heads.TC

411A
13th Aug 2005, 11:40
...I would think

Specifically, require all G-registered aircraft operated in the USA to carry US registrations and, for airlines, based in the UK, whose aircraft are regularly flown to the USA, FAA licenses must be required for crew, to be flown on an IFR flight plan.

A grand idea...no?:E

Fried_Chicken
13th Aug 2005, 23:23
But soon you'll be able to register all your shiny bizjets & GA in the Isle of Man & a quick visit to Ronaldsway every now & again shouldn't be a problem

Fried Chicken

josephshankes
14th Aug 2005, 08:34
411A

Yes great idea. All FAA Registed A/C flying to Europe to have JAA licenced crews. While we are at it, crews operating all FAA reg A/C based in Europe should be JAA licenced. Works both ways sport. Ever heard of a thing called "a level playing field"?

pilotbear
14th Aug 2005, 08:47
Of course not...level playing field from good ole Uncle SAM is equivalent to heads we win ...tails you lose:rolleyes:

mercuray
14th Aug 2005, 10:02
Probably never happen,or will be so poorly implemented by the bureaucrats,that it will make little or no difference.

Having said that,I would love to see it happen.I have both JAA/FAA ATPL/ATPs,so no axe to grind.But We certainly should have a level playing field.And as for SOME of The Part 91 Operations over this side of The Pond,They need sorting out!! (I did say SOME).

MikeGranby
15th Aug 2005, 18:11
> Amazingly, the french authorities were more or less
> trying to do the same, 2 years ago. I think they came
> to the conclusion it was less workload to leave things
> "as is"

I think they might have been helped in coming to that conclusion by Socata, who pointed out that sales of the TBM-700 would suffer if it couldn't be flown in Europe on an FAA certificate of airworthiness...