PDA

View Full Version : Anybody been to Libya lately (specific Tripolli ?)

Gunship
9th Aug 2005, 17:33
Yip do not laugh ... work is work ...

Can anybody help on conditions in Tripoli ?

Hotels / Restaurants / Pubs / Transport / Expensive ? / Airport conditions ?

ANY Help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :ok:

Gunsss

surely not
9th Aug 2005, 18:17
I was there for 3=2 months in 1979 is that any help??

It was ok but you will have to become politically neutered if you want to stay out of trouble matey :D

Food was ok and the 'flash' was superb :D

Cessnafan
9th Aug 2005, 18:20
Went up there about a year ago, not a bad place, you'll have to organise handling on arrival as there is some paper work in arabic and its quite a big airport, everyone generally friendly and helpful, if you havent got visas the immigations will keep your passports at the airport(this is normal). JetA1 was about $0.22 a litre. Hotels are plenty but dont expect to find a beer easily! Hope this helps. C

Gunship
9th Aug 2005, 18:24
Hey surely not .. always thought there was something bothering you ... so you lifted the fail for me thanks mate :ok:

Tx Cessnafan. It will be for an airline - they will take care of the visa and arrivals.

How is the airport itself ? Duty Free ? New / Modern ?

Cheers and thanks so far !

Gunsss

Cessnafan
9th Aug 2005, 18:29
The airport is ok, wouldnt say modern though but everything works, not really Africa

Gunship
9th Aug 2005, 18:38
Cheers mate.

The e-mail reads : "We as the ...... ....... will take good care in your arrival, safety and stay."

I sadly have been done over by them before outside Libya but we will give it a try ..

Anything for some action again .. :ok:

surely not
9th Aug 2005, 18:42
It was new in around 1977/8 so probably a little tired now.

If you get the chancce go to the Roman ruins at Leptis Magna (towards Egypt) and Sebrata (towards Tunisia) they are very impressive. Also the towns of Jeffren and Garrian (??spelling for both) in the hills at the back of Tripoli are worth a visit as well.

If you see a guy called Milud Coobar, ex BCal, say hi to him for me Gunnss, he used to be Station Manager for awhile.

Gunship
9th Aug 2005, 18:45
Cheers mate - I will definately see you before I go there (catch up over beer to do ) and also fetch some books, magnifiers etc .. :E

alexmcfire
9th Aug 2005, 20:58
Ask this guy http://www.tokyo.ch/ he was there a couple of years ago...

Gunship
10th Aug 2005, 07:09
Hey that is a great find !

Tx for that Alex.

Cheers,

Gunsss

finnman
10th Aug 2005, 08:23
guns

suggest u ctc gulf pearl
capt khaliffa ops +218 226 34491

they will arrange

landing /overflight permits
fuelling
supervisory handling etc etc

they are very good we use them thru tip and ben

Gunship
10th Aug 2005, 09:02
Tx Finnman - sorry I should have mentioned it does not envolve an aircraft or fly - in.

Sorry about that. Just work / training at the airport.

Cheers and tx again.

Gunsss

Treetopflyer
10th Aug 2005, 15:12
Hey Guns

Been based out of Tripoli 2 years ago for a few months. There are two airports, the main Tripoli Intl, and the former military base Tripoli Mitiga which tends to be used as a business & regional aviation airport. Duty free (in Tripoli Intl only) pretty small, comparable in size to the ones in Libreville or Cotonou.

Besides that, I found the town to be a real s:mad:hole where one gets bored real easily. Extremelly hard to find boose (completely illegal) -- the locals drink tea or alcohol-free beer :yuk:. A nice place to hang out is the seafront near the port, there is a bit of animation and places where you can smoke chicha. It's also a good place where to meet people who sell boose undercover -- I used to buy whisky there from an ugly fat Tunisian hooker I came accross there... :\ :\ :\ :hmm:

Have fun...

surely not
10th Aug 2005, 19:59
Do you want to re phrase the bit about 'coming across' a big fat hooker TTF? :D :D :E

Treetopflyer
13th Aug 2005, 12:21
Hey, hey, hey, guys: I said "coming accross" a big fat hooker, NOT "getting into"...:} :} :}

ruffusruffcut001
13th Aug 2005, 15:19
Guns,
I was there for 2 months.No booze, unless you can get a connection at some European embassy ( dutch embassy for Amstel).
The locals drive like loonies and give Schummie a good run for his money(scary s==t).They think that prophet Mohammed drives the car.
Dont arrive at Tripoli without a visa.I did and the arabs put me in the same a/c that I arrived in.
The Lybians are a miserable bunch and hate uncle tom(Gaddafi) with a passion.Be prepared for some rugby tacles when you stand in the bread que
Rumors are arife that there are informers in all walks of life , so please dont mention the name GADDAFI to any of the locals.
The smokies do roadblocks and if they find any alcohol or suspect that you have been drinking , the chances are good that you will land up in the slammer and be urinated upon until someone finds you.
I hope it helps

Guns,
I spent 2 months in Tripoli.
No booze , unless you can get a connection at some European embassy(Dutch embassy will have Amstel)
Locals driver like loonies , will give Schummie a run for his money.
They say that prophet Mohammed drives the vehicle and all sorts
Do not mention Gaddafi as there are inside informers and all sorts of funny/weird/f.u.policeman

If you want to mention the Gaddafi word to anybody , rather say the name "uncle tom"
The lybians are a miserable lot and hate uncle tom with a passion.
Be prepared for some rugby tackels if you have to stand in the bread que.
The smokies do roadblocks and if they find or suspect that you have been drinking the chances are that the smokies will put you in the slammer and urinate on you until you are found and rescued.
Things might have changed since the sanctions were liftted
but ---- becareful out there

Sorry Guns about the duplication

Gunship
15th Aug 2005, 15:42
Thanks for all the replies everyone :ok:

Really appreciate your posts , PM's and mails re this.

Can anybody reccomend a hotel there ? Rumour has it one 5 -star only ... no grog ?? :{

Cheers and many thanks

Gunss

Kernel
15th Aug 2005, 17:05
Hi Gunss

Did my last posting in Libya about 3 months ago. Compared to West Africa things are definitley more efficient. Airport apron is big and not crowded. ATC are alright although still tring to get familiar with radar!

We were based in an oil camp in central Sahara but did spend a few nights in Tripoli. Hotels are nothing to write home about, but the one we stayed in (cannot remember the name) had clean sheets and a working aircon. It was fine for a night but i think I would have lost my mind if i were actually based in the city. Traffic is bad and not a drop of booze to be found (we brewed our own in the camps!)

All in all there are worse places to be based, but not my first choice of destination!

K

contraxdog
16th Aug 2005, 00:18
Hey man, no man,
Accra is going to be a lonely place without your bakkies.
Sounds to me like Ada is more the place, than that sand pit.
Sterkte swarrie
ps.Ill have your Star until you get back!

Gunship
16th Aug 2005, 19:46
Tx Kernel ! Apreciate your comments.

Ou swaerie - what I have read so far I will only go for a short visit.
Me without a beer for weeks ... no way hozay :{

Keep them cold ou maat :ok:

Cheers

Gunss

4HolerPoler
16th Aug 2005, 23:00
Definitely make every attempt to stay in the Corinthia - all the other hotels are sub-standard. I tried a few before the Corinthia opened. My mini-bar in the Corinthia was stocked with beer & wine.

Are you sure you want to do this Guns? - stand by for endless frustration & a rather boring time.

It's good to see someone with something good to say about Gulf Pearl - it's owned by one of the senior government ministers - service was OK but the charges are a rip-off, especially for the level of service received.

With your passport Guns, you should be able to get a visa issued on arrival - things changed about two years ago. Make sure you're met on arrival or it could be a long wait.

Unless things have changed recently be aware that they've got their own phone system & GSM doesn't work.

Keep us posted & good luck.

4HP

Gunship
17th Aug 2005, 07:06
Many thanks 4HP :ok:

Just got this message from a friend in the UK that has been there a few times (latest 3 months ago) - (personal stuff removed XXX) - he also mentions your hotel of recommendation tx :ok:

I hope it can also help someone else !

4 HP, this is just temp - 2 weeks max and then I will put someone else in place - I can see it is not a long term place to be :p

Surprisingly Tripoli was not as bad as I expected.

The city centre is quite cosmopolitan with a number of restaurants, shops and cafes. There is little or no crime and as a result it's safe to walk around the city whenever you wish. There is also evidence that the city is beginning to get back on its feet now that the importation ban has been lifted and following Libya's attempts to embrace the EU in an attempt to
re-join the world community.

We stayed at the Corinthia Bab Africa which is the city's only real 5 star hotel (wshttp://www.corinthiahotels.com/hotel.asp?h=6&l=1), and I have to say that it is probably the best hotel that I've ever stayed in. Huge lounges, coffee bars, excellent rooms and 3 or 4 really good restaurants (including a good Chinese & Italian). If you have any choice go for this one. It's situated in the centre of town opposite the market and across from the harbour and is only a 20 minute drive from the airport (it's also within walking distance of the British Embassy). Surprisingly my mobile phone worked without any difficulty so communications shouldn't be a problem for you. :ok:

Getting a beer will however be a real problem as there remains a strict ban on alcohol in the country (don't be fooled by the bottles of Becks in the hotel like me...its non alcholholic!), and we were told by our diplomatic colleagues that it wasn't a good idea to bring anything in with us. We did however manage to get drunk one evening at the home of one of the UK XXXX XXXXX (since moved on unfortunately),as the government turns a blind eye to western diplomats drinking in the privacy of their own homes, so make some friends in the dip community early on if you have the chance.

Currency is freely exchanged in the hotel and banks and a state controlled exchange rate takes the hassle out of shopping around. We were however warned not to get caught taking the option of a more favourable rate in the market.

There still remains a good deal of suspicion of western visitors and we were followed around (not particularly well!) for a couple of days. It was never too intrusive and is apparently the norm so you might expect some of the same. We were told that they generally lose interest in you after a couple of days and this proved to be the case. The airport however is full of well dressed men (all with moustaches!) watching everything that is going on so you may have some company!.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I hope all goes well and that you get settled in. Let me know how things develop and whether you need anything from us.

All the best

XXXX

:p PS.....1 bloody wicket !!! I can still hardly believe it. :p

Milt
17th Aug 2005, 08:55
Wheelus Field.

What happened to the big USAF base called Wheelus on the coast just east of Tripoli. Lobbed into there once just out of Idris (Castel Benito) with a PAN situation in the late 50s.

Idris is about 30 nm south of Tripoli and in those days was surrounded by extensive plantings of Oz eucalyptus seedlings. Idris should now be in a forrest.

Must have a look around using Google Earth.

Gunship
28th Aug 2005, 08:13
Arrived last night (minus our bags) :mad:

So far absolute excellent treatment and a very big welcome.

The Corinthia is in another world 4HP. REally fantastic.

I can send and rx text on my Vodafone but no phone out.

They have their own GSM (will get a card just now) and it sounds clear and all.

Overall so far VERY impressed and I feel welcome :ok:

Cheers all

Gunss

Maurice Chavez
28th Aug 2005, 09:42
Milt,

Wheelus is now called Mitiga (HLLM/MJI). Not much left of it, there's one guy there that still remembers Wheelus with great love. He's western minded (more like US) and talks like a yank, guess he's trapped in a Libo suit. Remember, when in Libya, drinking gives you knowledge!

Guns, check your pm!

4HolerPoler
28th Aug 2005, 11:29
Mitiga was the name of a young Libyan girl that was killed by a US military a/c that pranged, killing her in the process. Interesting place - pretty run-down always something of interest to spike one's interest.

4HP

Gunship
28th Aug 2005, 11:43
Tx for the excellent, valuable info MC :ok:

Will give your mate a ring :ok:

4 HP : Just scanned the mini-bar (20th time) from head to toe.

2 non-alcoholic beers (Becks and "Jever Fun" :E) then just a range of Miranda's / Coke and boring Pepsi's :{ :{ :{

Ah well mind over matter - going to try a Becks (yik) over lunch.

Advise if you come this way - we need to "bond" again :p :p :p

AfricanSkies
28th Aug 2005, 18:07
Gunnns... if you are at Tripoli Int en jy kry daar 'n mcDooublodubblass Dear Seer nege wat diep innie woestyn bly, vra vir die drywer, ou Tom... daar sal jy kry wat jy soek!!!Hy slaap aan boord terwylit daar gepark is.

Gunship
29th Aug 2005, 18:23
Uhmm tx AS ;)

Our man that takes us around just told me now that he thinks as soon as the big party is over (starts 1 Sept for a week) - 36th Birthday of the Revolution - he thinks we will be able to get alcohol in the big tourist hotels.

Heard some amazing stories today from him but also read on JETBLAST today that the CIA planted some stuff in the Lockerbie disaster ... :E:E:E:E

Becks alcohol free :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: