PDA

View Full Version : Retirement

Exhaust Manifold
9th Aug 2005, 16:35
Just saw a thread in the Flight Deck Forum titled: What are you going to do when you retire?

I think it's an interesting question and would like to see the replies I get from the african aviation side.

Personally the day I retire is the day I buy my own aircraft and fly myself from resort to resort. (:p wishfull thinking!!)

Gunship
9th Aug 2005, 17:26
Eischh Exhaust Manifold .. I also wish ...

Just spoken to a friend. His Robbi cost him R20k per month (and insurance R18k and R200 per hour on fuel and R100 per hour on serviceing etc ..

Man ... a man can just dream ... me and da wife and touring in my Robbi - who wants passport control at border posts then ... :E

Dream on Gunsss :hmm:

sky waiter
10th Aug 2005, 09:14
I just wana drive my ferrari, looks cooler!!! :ok: Again i wish, still a long way to go1 :}

Solid Rust Twotter
10th Aug 2005, 10:15
First have to get into a job where I can afford to retire. 1Time would be first prize but any other reasonable offers considered....:ok:

406pilot
10th Aug 2005, 10:45
hi fellows,

this is a worrying issue for me,

i used to fly with an ex-raf,ex-east african airways brit captain who was flying a c-421 in the country privately for a privale company, because he was too old to hold a valid cpl,he had spent most of his time in this country and although he had family in the u.k he said he couldnt handle the cold there..eventually he gave up flying and i last heard he was in an old peoples home in the uk somewhere..what a way to spend a retired life..i sure hope this doesnt happen to any other fellow aviators....

keep it up there fellows,

no more 406pilot...

no wonder some of us are obsessed with the idea of of flying fast and dying young...

SortieIII
10th Aug 2005, 17:03
There are people who can afford to retire?????

EEIIISSSSSHHHH! :{

Goldfish Jack
11th Aug 2005, 06:03
MMMMM Interesting question...

This is always one of the things we will start worrying about tomorrow! But one should start worrying about it to-day. It is never too late.

With studious financial managment, which I believe most aviation types do possess, albeit somewhere, we should all be able to retire and put the feet up and do what we want to........ play golf, travl, drink, play bowls, enjoy our lives and not have to carry on working.

I cant wait for the day I retire..........then I will have the whole day free to read PPRUNE and post on it !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ':D'

gofor
11th Aug 2005, 08:11
Aviation surely is a mans best choice of career - and sure damn beats working for a living. But at the end of it I do feel I know quite a few in the industry and then some now retired. I must say that very few are extremely wealthy (financialy speaking) retired pilots/atc's, although they have lead the most respectful and accomplished careers. So I am not knowing to the answer of this question unless you were trading in Gold/ Abolone???:confused: :confused: :confused:

longtom
11th Aug 2005, 09:56
Retirement for aviators is definitely a difficult subject, given that most of us don't plan adequately, or sensibly for the "Autumn " years. Many pilots,and others involved in aviation end up struggling through retirement , when in fact they should be enjoying the fruits of their hard work and dedication.

Avoid all that by getting my interesting and informative information pack : "Planning adequately and sensibly for the 'Autumn' years for pilots " . Simply deposit U.S. $ 400 to the Swiss bank account number I will give you when you PM me asking for the pack. Dont delay : secure your future today !!!

james ozzie
11th Aug 2005, 19:55
406 mentioned being in a retirement home as sounding a pretty grim way to end ones days; well what are the alternatives?

Many retirees will not be able to AFFORD to live in a retirement home & as a result will squat with their families.

The conventional wisdom is that you need accumulated capital of 15 to 20 times your desired retirement income to have even a low key retirement lifestyle. And don't count the family home as part of those income producing assets - you will need a roof over your head!

Pull out the calculator & punch some numbers - you may be depressed at the result.

BUT there is the magic of compound growth which over enough time will grow any nest egg handsomely - over time is the operative phrase. Some wag noted that with retirement savings, the first 100 years is the toughest.

longtom
11th Aug 2005, 21:04
Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I am also providing a free telephonic financial consultancy service : to qualify please deposit U.S. $ 400 in the Swiss bank account..blah blah blah......

On a more serious note, I see that the ever-increasing cost of funeral services has resulted in a situation where the elderly are quite literally not able to afford the cost of dying.Consequently they are having to live longer in order to put enough away for that "rainy day ". Now we have to take that into account when planning for the future. Economics !

swish266
14th Aug 2005, 07:09
I wil retire at 50, in 2014.
By then I would hav paid for the kids edu and bought my wife her dream house in the country.
I wil buy a secondhand Oyster 46 and do part time charters...If I need some cash!
And take 20 yrs to visit every nice place around d Med!

And hope to never set foot on a plane again...:ok:

B Sousa
14th Aug 2005, 07:55
"I wil retire at 50, in 2014.
By then I would hav paid for the kids edu and bought my wife her dream house in the country.
I wil buy a secondhand Oyster 46 and do part time charters...If I need some cash!
And take 20 yrs to visit every nice place around d Med!"

Sure you will........

I retired at 52, thank god no kids to educate after my experience in college.. Bought my ex-wife a couple houses as she was a housekeeper and kept them.
I now fly for anyone in places where I want to fly, it pays for the beer. Home is where I wake up......

cavortingcheetah
14th Aug 2005, 08:43
;)

It is certain that, if I am conscious on my deathbed, I shall regret the things that I have not done. But when it comes to the really important matters, family, friends and so on; I shall just have to console myself with the thought that at least I tried to make the great jigsaw of life work well for those around me.
If I had my time again, I would choose to be a great opera singer (not necessarily a star, please note). Once the throat had become craggy and the voice of little pleasure to others, my retirement ambition would be no different from that of the moment.
I would buy a sea plane or flying boat and take off for the Indian Ocean and Pacific, flying beautiful birds around the islands whilst smoking the finest Cuban cigars, drinking the best spiced rum and returning every evening to my delicious lady who would have a meal of stewed monkey and plantans ready for me with a bottle of Petrus 1990, or some such oenophilous treat.
What I shall really do is perhaps somewhat different but the unrequited passion of reality nonetheless leaves my imagination in full flood and as I drift into death I know where I shall direct my fantastical reveries, if I am able so to do.

:D

B Sousa
14th Aug 2005, 09:17
CC
Petrus....Yow..I had a bottle of that once in Reno, Nevada. Had some friends with lots of Rands. It was good but not as good as the price.........Wow.
Cuban Cigars..as always when reading your posts, I do think you must be smokin something better........

Absinthium----Bittersweet Elixir

cavortingcheetah
14th Aug 2005, 10:03
:D

He! He!

I understand from a Pprune lady that if you mix absinthe with champagne it's rather good and is called a 'Hemingway'. I have little doubt that any over indulgence on that score would lead to a similar sort of end. Death in the Afternoon, but then, one could perhaps fly SAA in the near future instead?:E