PDA

View Full Version : Fired-up Frenchman fires at fire-fighting helos

Ian Corrigible
9th Aug 2005, 13:57
Or “Egg-whisk maniac boils over at egg beaters.” (Take your pick – I’m going to go and sit down now...)

:E

French pensioner shoots at siesta-busting helicopters
AFP August 9th 2005

An 81-year-old Frenchman who blasted buckshot at fire-fighting helicopters because they were disturbing his afternoon nap was convicted by a court here and had his small home arsenal confiscated.

David Thiel was given a suspended one-year jail sentence Monday for shooting at helicopters flying low over his home to drop water on a fire threatening the southern town of Grasse on July 21.

Police were directed to the retired gardener by his neighbours, who had already been yelled at for using a lawn-mower.

When officers arrived, Thiel addressed a stream of insults at them before going inside to get one of his guns.

A struggle ensued, with police only disarming the octogenarian after receiving several blows from saucepans. They confiscated 15 hunting rifles from his home.

The judge found Thiel guilty of weapons charges and resisting arrest.

While noting that the helicopters were out of range of the shots fired, the judge told the irascible old-timer that "one should not shoot at water-bombing helicopters as if they were wild ducks."

I/C

Whirlygig
9th Aug 2005, 14:11
Gangs stop Air Ambulance from taking off (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=185174)

So it's not just young scrotes then?

Cheers

Whirls

goaround7
9th Aug 2005, 16:47
He probably shot at the RAF in WWII as well.

He's lucky they didn't water bomb his house flat. I would have but I'm irresponsible and nasty that way. And I'm half his age - wait till I'm 80+.

Droopy
9th Aug 2005, 18:35
"....after receiving several blows from saucepans......" I'd pay good money to have seen one of the cops in A & E with an upside-down pan stuck on his head....:p

NickLappos
10th Aug 2005, 10:44
Thank Heaven! It now seems clear that the US is not the repository for all the Kooks in the world. It does seem, however, that US kooks are better shots.

helipat
10th Aug 2005, 19:53
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/10/copter.shootdown/index.html

(CNN) -- A Bernalillo County Sheriff's Department helicopter that crashed Saturday in the yard of an Albuquerque home was brought down by a bullet, Sheriff Darren White said late Tuesday.

NickLappos
10th Aug 2005, 20:53
Thanks, helipat:

QED

hemac
10th Aug 2005, 21:51
I'd pay good money to have seen one of the cops in A & E with an upside-down pan stuck on his head....

How would you tell the difference? French Gendarmes already look like they've got a saucepan on their heads.

H.