PDA

View Full Version : Discovery Home

JerryG
9th Aug 2005, 12:15
Just heard a nice clean double sonic boom over LA as Discovery comes home.

Congratulations to a bunch of very brave aviators pushing the envelope.

JerryG:D

JAF0
9th Aug 2005, 12:16
just watched in on bbc online, very cool.

Hippolite
9th Aug 2005, 14:00
And what has this got to do with a Rotorheads Forum?

We all have TV and we don't need to hear the news from you, this is not a news forum.

R22DRIVER
9th Aug 2005, 16:22
Sounds like someone got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning!!!:{

Recuperator
9th Aug 2005, 17:19
Might have been the sonic boom that woke the poor soul... shame...:p

Hilico
9th Aug 2005, 20:08
But still, with the best will in the world, not a Rotorheads topic.

Matthew Parsons
9th Aug 2005, 21:41
A haven for professional helicopter pilots to discuss the things that affect them.

I think it's safe to say that anything significant in aviation affects all pilots, including helicopter pilots. Therefore, this is a Rotorheads topic.

Why significant? Might be the last. Who knows?

Matthew.

Hughesy
9th Aug 2005, 23:11
Have to agree with Matthew Parsons. It may not be directly involved with helicopters, but it is still interesting and some may say important.

Others may grumble about it, but they must realise not everything on Rotorheads is about helicopters.

Congrats to the crew.
Hughesy

John Eacott
9th Aug 2005, 23:48
Maybe Jerry just wants some of us to know he's swanning around LA, while the weather forecast for Melbourne CBD today is snow!!!

Come home, Jerry all (almost all) is forgiven ;) :rolleyes:

Buitenzorg
10th Aug 2005, 00:09
And what has this got to do with a Rotorheads Forum?
But still, with the best will in the world, not a Rotorheads topic.

Well...

Last time, it didn't work out too well... And a few days later one of my mentors was killed looking for the bits and pieces. At least for me, it's closer to home than might appear.

Welcome home guys and gals.

amanoffewwords
10th Aug 2005, 08:07
Actually, there is a link: one of Discovery's crew, Navy Capt. Wendy Lawrence is a helicopter pilot.

See Washington Times article (http://ap.washingtontimes.com/dynamic/stories/S/SHUTTLE_CREW?SITE=DCTMS&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2005-07-13-14-24-16) (towards the bottom).

Cheers
amofw

Brilliant Stuff
10th Aug 2005, 08:23
I am glad Discovery got home safely.

I hope it was not the last one. But why are they bleeping on about the fact they have spend a Million dollars bringing it back from edwards? That is why they have that converted 747 for.

JerryG
10th Aug 2005, 14:08
Sorry if a bit of enthusiasm for aviation is inappropriate here, I'll shove off and do it somewhere else since it's obviously so offensive!

But..... just for the record........ after three decades in the saddle I still get a kick out of almost any lump of metal that manages to defy gravity and I hope I retain that excitement until the metal beneath me stops achieving the trick.

A Merlin engine, the Huey's blades, a Concorde on climb out or a Shuttle coming home - it's all the same to me and I'm still chuffed to be a tiny part of it all.

Through various quirks of this fun rotary career I've ended up in some extraordinary places, but few more special than the doorway to the Shuttle at the top of launch pad 39B. I make no apologies for lauding the activities of those who have stepped through it, some of whom haven't come back.

If I ever lose that enthusiasm then please will the next pruner who sees me in a cockpit have me dragged from it forcibly and "thwown wuffly to the ground".

JerryG

Farmer 1
10th Aug 2005, 15:19
Through various quirks of this fun rotary career I've ended up in some extraordinary places, but few more special than the doorway to the Shuttle at the top of launch pad 39B.

JerryG,

If you think for one moment I'm jealous, you're dead right.

Enjoy life,

Farmer

OFBSLF
10th Aug 2005, 15:48
But why are they bleeping on about the fact they have spend a Million dollars bringing it back from edwards?Because apparently it does cost the $1M to get it from Edwards to Florida. I heard on the news this AM that 200+ Nasa staffers left for Edwards on a charter flight. Apparently transporting the shuttle is a non-trivial exercise.