PDA

View Full Version : Restricted and Experimental Cat Helicopters

r22_r44
9th Aug 2005, 02:17
Can any of you clever guys help out?

I have to present a talk on Restricted and Experimental Category Helicopters. Does anyone know of a good source for research material.

Cheers..

Lama Bear
9th Aug 2005, 03:21
I am presently flying a Restricted Catergory helicopter although I have NEVER been called clever. The subject is very complex. What are you tasked with specifically? Pluses-minuses, costs, etc. Advisory Circular AC 00-1.1 will give you the operational restrictions.

http://www.faa.gov/fsdo/orl/advcir.cfm

Which begs the question why did you accept the task? There is too much bad information floating around both pro and con already.

Flingwing207
9th Aug 2005, 05:03
Perhaps a CFI student giving one of the world-famous "5-minute" presentations?

SASless
9th Aug 2005, 08:06
Do remember to talk about the waivers, exemptions, and "approvals"....compounded by the issue of being the "only" one of type....such as the Vixen and similar occurrences.

r22_r44
9th Aug 2005, 14:05
Flingwing207 is correct, although I would argue with the "world famous" part..:D

It is a huge and complex subject to try and cover in 5 minutes I agree and not a task to be taken lightly if to do it justice! I'm now considering focusing on a particular operation within this category type. Although finding reference material is proofing difficult. My brief is simply; Restricted and Experimental Category Helicopters - What can you use them for?

highfinal
9th Aug 2005, 17:51
As someone who has stood in front of a class room in Florida and delivered my own 5 minute talk, and watched a class full of others do the same, I can offer you some advice based on the feedback we were given.
Firstly, pitch the talk to your audience's level, ie. nearly CFI's - don't dumb it down or overcomplicate it. Next, use some humour - most of these talks are on relatively dry subjects, so think what would keep you interested? On the same theme - visual and sound effects work really well especially with powerpoint, I'm sure you've heard about great presentations in the past there. Keep to your five minutes, don't ramble. Make eye contact with everyone in the room, as it keeps their attention.
Finally - the more you can practise and memorise what you're going to say, the more natural, conversational and engaging it will be.
Good luck and enjoy it - most of my class did! :ok: