PDA

View Full Version : F16's over boston

dergland
9th Aug 2005, 00:21
Hi,

Probably don't know if this is in the right forum so please understand. Here in Boston MA. Was wondering if anyone knew why 4 F16's were flying low over the city.

returno
9th Aug 2005, 01:25
I only saw two, but they may have been flying between Otis Air National Guard Base on Cape Cod and Hanscom AFB in Lexington - they were flying in that general direction. Otis is the home of 102d Fighter Wing which flies F-15s. Maybe they were low because they were in a hurry. It was around dinner time when they flew over. Maybe they were hungry. ;)

mini
9th Aug 2005, 01:31
Would have thought that F15's would have been used should there be a threat, F16's sounds like a routine training op.

I know, I'm a sad bugger...

dergland
9th Aug 2005, 04:29
Thanks for the replies. Thought it might have been to do with the Game in Fenway Park but didn't see anything on the TV...mind you could have missed it.

Airbubba
9th Aug 2005, 04:51
Sometimes F-16's over the city are performing a solemn duty:

A wake-up call from Luke's jets

Jun. 23, 2005 12:00 AM

Question of the day for Luke Air Force Base: Whom do we thank for the
morning air show?

Last Wednesday, at precisely 9:11 a.m., a tight formation of four F-16 jets
made a low pass over Arrowhead Mall, continuing west over Bell Road at
approximately 500 feet. Imagine our good fortune!

Do the Tom Cruise-wannabes feel we need this wake-up call, or were they
trying to impress the cashiers at Mervyns' early-bird special?

Any response would be appreciated. - Tom MacRae, Peoria

<http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/opinions/articles/0623thurlets239.html>

Here is the reply:

Flyby honored fallen comrade

Jun. 28, 2005 12:00 AM

Regarding "A wake-up call from Luke's jets" (Letters, Thursday):

On June 15, at precisely 9:12 a.m., a perfectly timed four-ship of F-16s
from the 63rd Fighter Squadron at Luke Air Force Base flew over the grave of
Capt Jeremy Fresques.

Capt. Fresques was an Air Force officer who was previously stationed at Luke
Air Force Base and was killed in Iraq on May 30, Memorial Day.

At 9 a.m. on June 15, his family and friends gathered at Sunland Memorial
Park in Sun City to mourn the loss of a husband, son and friend.

Based on the letter writer's recount of the flyby, and because of the jet
noise, I'm sure you didn't hear the 21-gun salute, the playing of taps, or
my words to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques as I gave them their
son's flag on behalf of the president of the United States and all those
veterans and servicemen and women who understand the sacrifices they have
endured.

A four-ship flyby is a display of respect the Air Force pays to those who
give their lives in defense of freedom. We are professional aviators and
take our jobs seriously, and on June 15 what the letter writer witnessed was
four officers lining up to pay their ultimate respects.

The letter writer asks, "Whom do we thank for the morning air show?"

The 56th Fighter Wing will call for you, and forward your thanks to the
widow and parents of Capt. Fresques, and thank them for you, for it was in
their honor that my pilots flew the most honorable formation of their lives.

Lt. Col. Scott Pleus
Luke Air Force Base

The writer is commander of the 63rd Fighter Squadron.

<http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/opinions/articles/0628tuelets282.html>

Here's the apology which is usually omitted in accounts of this incident:

An apology from the heart to the airmen of Luke

AZ Republic, 9 Jul 05

Regarding "Flyby honoring fallen comrade" Letters, June 28):
I read with increasing embarrassment and humility the response to my unfortunate letter to The Republic concerning an Air Force flyby ("A wake-up call from Luke's jets," Letters, June 23).
I had no idea of the significance of the flyby, and would never have insulted such a fine and respectful display had I known.
I have received many calls from the fine airmen who are serving or have served at Luke, and I have attempted to explain my side and apologized for any discomfort my letter has caused.
This was simply an uninformed citizen complaining about noise.
I have been made aware in both written and verbal communications of the four-ship flyby, and my heart goes out to each and every lost serviceman and woman in this war in which we are engaged.
I have been called un-American by an unknown caller and I feel that I must address that. I served in the U.S. Navy and am a Vietnam veteran. I love my country and respect the jobs that the service organizations are doing.
Please accept my heartfelt apologies. - Tom MacRae, Peoria

Check 6
9th Aug 2005, 18:08
Mr. MacRae jumped to conclusions and "shot his foot."

However, he did the right thing and publicly apologized, sincerely I must add, and not something everyone would do.

Check 6

Self Loading Freight
9th Aug 2005, 22:57
An unfortunate letter, but as the original posters here and to the newspaper showed you can't fly a formation of FJs over a big city without a lot of people noticing, even early in the morning. The reason here isn't something that most people would guess, and perhaps a little pre-publicity by the base might have helped. Tricky.

I wonder if the correspondents saw them after they'd closed up after doing the Missing Man formation. That's unambiguous... and never fails to make me unsafe to speak for a while afterwards.

R

dergland
11th Aug 2005, 04:21
Airbubba,

Thank you for the info. That is something I did not think of. I would have to say that I feel like the letter writer.

Self Loading Freight
Didn't actually see the jets myself was informed by a neighbour so couldn't tell you in what formation. My knowledge of the type is based on this info so couldn't cofirm what formation it was.

Charlie Luncher
11th Aug 2005, 06:08
They could also be conducting anti-terrorist operations, Boston does have a well established terrorist infrastructure and financial centres. :\

Charlie sends

Selac66
12th Aug 2005, 02:21
It's a shame the boys couldn't have been airborne a little under four years ago - may have prevented the need to honour their mate.

scran
12th Aug 2005, 03:48
Down under, we had a situation a while ago where a tanker did some flying near Sydney with fighters in company (photo opportunity). Caused quite a panic, because uneducated Joe Bloggs thought the fighters were trying to shoot the aircraft down.

So when the first AEW&C Bird did a similar thing early this year (B737 with a Hawk as the photo bird) the RAAF put out a press release explaining what was happening, and included times/tracks etc so as to not alarm anyone.

Aynayda Pizaqvick
12th Aug 2005, 09:16
Selac...
Bad call. Sod off and find your 'Truth' somewhere else!

Selac66
13th Aug 2005, 03:59
Aynayda

Can you explain it for me?

Please? Anyone?

Training Risky
13th Aug 2005, 14:55
Phew!

I thought by the title it was Boston in Lincolnshire, Englandshire.

Stay away from the web-footed parts of the UK, Cousins!

cazatou
13th Aug 2005, 20:04
Selac 66

OK, try this.

It's around 9 AM and the first of the early morning trans-continental flights are getting airborne from Kennedy International.

Ground Control "lose contact" with several aircraft.

SO TELL US (WITHOUT HINDSIGHT);IS YOUR FIRST OPTION A TERRORIST ATTACK!!!????

Perhaps, and more likely, your first response is that you (not them) have a comm's problem.

The Rocket
13th Aug 2005, 22:00
Castazou,

Don't play his game. The next thing you know this thread will be filled with his conspiracy theorist cr4p.

Treat him with the contempt he deserves.