PDA

View Full Version : Converting South African RTOL

Martin1234
8th Aug 2005, 18:14
I have a South African RTOL;

"RADIO TELEPHONY (Restricted)
The holder is authorized to operate radio installation on board aircraft under VFR"

The big question is if I need to take the practical radiotelephony test in the UK in order to get a UK issued radiotelephony certificate? Does anyone know in accordance with which article the South African licence is issued?

BillieBob
8th Aug 2005, 21:20
Martin - You are required by the Wireless Telegraphy Act to hold a licence to operate a radio station in the UK. In the case of an aeronautical mobile station, the administration of the requirement is delegated by the Office of Communications (OfCom) to the UK CAA. I can't help you with the background to the SA licence but I would guess that, as an ex-UK colony, the legislation has developed in a similar manner.

silverknapper
8th Aug 2005, 21:29
I converted an SA FRTOL about 2.5 years ago. Just send the form to the CAA. Not sure if it is still accepted as an exemption.

Jelly Doughnut
9th Aug 2005, 08:23
If you are converting your license then the RT license is converted at the same time, no questions asked. My UK RT license says "issued on basis of SA RT license".

:ok: