PDA

View Full Version : Multi boot prompt windows XP

Smurfjet
8th Aug 2005, 08:51
After some trouble with an XP installation, I re-installed a second one on the same drive and deleted the one giving the trouble. Works fine except on boot, I get a menu to select which OS I want to boot with. I'm guessing MBR thinks there are 2 OS still installed? Would like to fix.

Thanks for the help.

Edited to add boot.ini contents

Here is the content of the boot.ini file

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin

spannersatcx
8th Aug 2005, 09:46
It looks like you have two partitions, or Windows thinks it does.

Right click on My Computer then select Properties. From there go to the Advanced tab and then Startup and Recovery. In there you can set the time delay and default OS to select. If you click on edit you can manually edit the text file to read as follows:

timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

You might think I'm clever, (I am), but it's been on here before, so I'll have to pass the credit to [b]goates See here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=161668) or I should of said nothing and claim the credit!:ok:

Back up first though! to prevent :{

BOAC
8th Aug 2005, 12:18
A rider to 'spanners' comment? I do not see 2 partitions there so I think this is 'different'. I guess Windows assumed you were going to run 2 WinXp's as you installed the second, I believe you said, before removing the first? That said, Spanners' edit should do the trick although I would think naming it XP professional better than XP home?

Smurfjet
9th Aug 2005, 04:21
First thank you for your help sATCx.
I am not sure why windows made the boot.ini like this, but you can modify this by right clicking on My Computer/Advanced/Startup and Recovery Settings, or by editing the ini file. What should be there is timeout=0 or in the settings window uncheck 'Time to display list of OS'.

BOAC is correct, it has nothing to do with partitions. What I did was boot into recovery console from the XP CD, renamed the first installation of windows (could not do a rmdir or and equivalent to delete it), installed another windows, then deleted the first one. What I was concerned about was the Master Boot Record, I suspected it would have 2 OS in it (not sure if this is technichally correct, and maybe someone more knowledgeable can shed some light).

Hopefully the title and content of the thread are more accurate than the post referenced to goates, which will make the search more obvious :ok:

nwaflygirl
12th Aug 2005, 16:01
I did this exact same thing myself. Although your computer doesn't display the OS choices at startup, I'm pretty sure both installs are still there. If you want to completely delete one of them:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=888023

I think this is what you are after.