PDA

View Full Version : A change of career

Tallbloke
24th Mar 2000, 00:08
Assuming a bloke was not bright enough to do a Masters in aerospace engineering, could anyone offer a few tips to someone considering a change of career. I was thinking of something in the avionics / airframe line. (I could try and be alittle more vague).

greaseytech
24th Mar 2000, 03:11
Hi Tallbloke
I would not bother. As a techie you get filthy, you are looked down upon by other devisions of airlines and any way that they can get to you they will. Aerospace engineering is so drastically underfunded and under resourced from 3rd party maintenance organisations through to airlines. Aircraft maintenance is not viewed by the bean counters 'core business', so they will try to get it done on the cheap. The bean counters have the view 'Why take our planes to a main dealer when we can take them to the aviation equivalent of Kwikfit' We work the longest hours in the aviation business, and for the responsibility we undertake, I feel we are drastically underpaid. Don't do it! If I had my time aagain, I would not have gone into this game.

JET SET SPARKY
24th Mar 2000, 18:31
on the plus side tho',it's never the same day twice(especially line)you always are thrown new challenges and you'd never argue that you are bored-with-nothing-to-do
The financial rewards are there to be gained if you locate with the good companies,overtime can boost this considerably.......some companies actually do appreciate thier assets(us techies)and generally look after them(i do know some companies are dogs!!!) I think the industry is a little chaotic a this precise moment,but if you saw the engineering staff shortfalls in 'FLIGHT' recently,i think the trades and qualification will only increase in value and so will the attitude towards it......no matter what the accountants say there will always be aircraft engineers and good ones will be viewed as golddust...RIGHTLY SO,EH?
Besides,there are loads of gorgeous women that like like a rough and dirty techie and especially those who wear nice uniforms,shades'n'leatherman style on the line
god i love my job! ;)

The hippy
25th Mar 2000, 01:22
Jet set sparky.

Oh what its like to be young!!!!!!

JET SET SPARKY
25th Mar 2000, 02:06
...and gorgeous!
Don't work too hard hippy! see ya soon ,no doubt..........

Tallbloke
25th Mar 2000, 03:21
Now you see, I never realised you guys would use leatherman's, I thought it would be a big box of Snap-On every where you go. You learn someth........

So y'all know, I am going to look at the Masters thing at City University, but as I say, I probably do not have the academic "What it takes"