PDA

View Full Version : "Helicopters crash 10 times more than planes"

Gunship
7th Aug 2005, 20:58
Don't shoot the messenger ... remember it comes from Kenya :E
The Nation (Nairobi)

David Okwemba
Nairobi

Helicopters are more prone to accidents than aeroplanes.

They crash 10 times more than planes, according to the American Space Agency, NASA.

While the aeroplane can glide, reducing fatalities, a helicopter falls like a stone from the sky. :hmm:

A pilot with the Kenya Police air wing said helicopters could be dangerous at night, during thunderstorm and where there are no landing instruments.

Taking risks

He said the pilot flying Dr John Garang may have taken a risk by travelling at night and in bad weather.

Saying he was not familiar with Southern Sudan, the pilot added that if Dr Garang's helicopter had been under the guide of radar personnel in Southern Sudan, it would have landed safely.

Helicopters were more vulnerable to harsh weather and a pilot would need to know the terrain well, he said.

Major Solomon Nyanjui of the Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) blamed most of the crashes involving helicopters on pilot error, adding that besides knowing the terrain well, one had to fly at least 3,000 feet above the highest obstacle.

Maj Nyanjui, who safely brought down a helicopter carrying top executives on a tour of the Aberdares forest last year, said in circumstances where a pilot lost the engine, they were supposed to employ automatic rotation to bring the aircraft down safely.

Fixed wings

Among the executives were Nation Media Group chief executive Wilfred Kiboro and Safaricom chief Michael Joseph.

The helicopter had developed a tail rotor problem when it was 30 feet above the ground.

"Fixed wing planes crash more often than helicopters," he said, adding that if the helicopter was fitted with an instrument to measure the altitude (altimeter) it would comfortably show the distance from the ground so the pilot could steer it to safe landing. :p:p:p

http://allafrica.com/stories/200508040046.html

NickLappos
7th Aug 2005, 21:08
With such erudite thinking, one needn't worry about Kenya rising up from the Third World anytime soon.

Cyclic Hotline
7th Aug 2005, 21:32
The final paragraph appears to contradict the findings of the NASA quote, with the following statement;

"Fixed wing planes crash more often than helicopters,"

Now I'm really confused.:confused: :oh: :ooh:

Farmer 1
7th Aug 2005, 21:40
You show me one helicopter that has crashed ten times more than a plane.

Disguise Delimit
8th Aug 2005, 00:15
Some of the hulks up the back of a certain hangar in Warnervale have probably been crashed ten times!

They took a lickin', but they keep on tickin.....

Gunship
8th Aug 2005, 08:51
Cyclic Hotline ... this (chopper pilot) made the statement re fixed wings crashing more ...

Maj Nyanjui, who safely brought down a helicopter carrying top executives on a tour of the Aberdares forest last year.....

Nellis
8th Aug 2005, 17:31
I am in the market for this wondrous autorotation gadget. Could have prevented a couple of bruises in the past!!! Any contact numbers?

goaround7
8th Aug 2005, 19:11
Doesn't the phrase 'brought down' usually mean 'shot down' ? In which case are we to assume that Maj Nyanjui 'safely' shot himself down ? Judging from the rest of his comments, even if viciously mangled by Mr (Idiot ?) Okwemba, I can well believe it.

Also can't help wondering what kind of game management flying the Major does at 3000' agl ? 'Errr, thee number of lion, zebra and antelope is errr not too many; in fact, we did not see any animals in thee park.'

Gunship
8th Aug 2005, 21:33
:p :p :p

From Nellis : Any contact numbers?

+232 76 601 007 :p :p :p

PS: You got any money left on your card - I need to go and pack soon I pressume :E

MBJ
13th Aug 2005, 17:57
Excellent job opportunities for panel beaters in the helicopter world then!

offshoreigor
27th Aug 2005, 06:28
Gunship

I am working on a solution to this very worrysome problem of automatic rotation. I feel very strongly that this should be a manual function, activated only by the Pilot. That way if the Pilot does it, then there is NO ERROR, it's on purpose.

I am simply standing beside myself with all this pilot error!

Besides everyone knows that if de elicopter were to lose de enjun day simply click dair eels an say "I wish I were in Kansas, I wish I were in Kansas, I wish I were in Kansas"

That simple Mon!

Cheers,

:eek: OffshoreIgor :eek: