PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter Club of GB

TheFlyingSquirrel
7th Aug 2005, 13:56
Is it worth joining up folks? Opinions please ! Thanks !

TFS

muffin
7th Aug 2005, 15:14
The trips they organise are good. Only problem is that the really interesting ones get oversubscribed and as numbers are often limited they have to draw the names for who can go. The magazine is good also. It isn't very expensive to join so is actually good value.

puntosaurus
7th Aug 2005, 16:33
Agree with muffin. I've had trips to Martin Baker Ejector seats, Dunsfold when it was still building Harriers, Heathrow tower - I actually flew into LHR in a 22 ! then went to chat to the controllers. Also model heli flying and shooting R/C model a/c with a 12 bore at Draycott Farm, and Chinook Simulators at Benson. Great fun, and a good bunch of people - very mixed from multi-millionaires to self fly hirers. I think it's around £50 a year so if you get a couple of events out of it, then it's worthwhile.

jellycopter
7th Aug 2005, 20:59
The HCGB is a good place to widen your helicopter horizons. It has members that are experts in many fields who are usually very willing to offer advice when called upon.

I'm in my third year of membership but have been participating in the Helichamps for about 6 years now, so have got to know many new freinds.

Don't just consider the Club as an organisation you can get something out of, but also as something you can contribute to. You can get intimately involved with organising things if that's your desire, or you can simply enjoy the benefits of membership but remain firmly on the sidelines. Most of the members I know sit somewhere in-between. It's your choice and no-one will judge you for it.

The best thing about the Club, in my opinion, is that it gets like-minded individuals together (rather like PPrune) for occasional events with the opportunity to discuss helicopters as much as you like without being labelled an 'anorak'.

Go on, send in the membership application form.......

JJ

Benet
7th Aug 2005, 23:33
Absolutely worthwhile. Go and land in other members' back yards! (I haven't been on any outings yet but am sure they will prove almost as much fun...)

Benet

TheFlyingSquirrel
7th Aug 2005, 23:58
Sold guys ! I'll sign up this week !! Then you may get the chance to see my Squirrely mug !!

TFS

cyclicmicky
8th Aug 2005, 07:39
Good on you Squirrel, I have just applied for membership although I have been to several HCGB events, a really good one last year was paragliding near Lewes darn sarf!!! and the trip to Wattisham was superb to say the least.... The HCGB does a lot of hard work for its membership and the members are all pretty much a friendly approachable gang who do not ( contrary to some folks past references) have a hooray henry attitude.
There are as previously stated some folks with pots of it and some who self hire...there is no differentiation between any of them, we are aviators.... not snobbish in any way.
I look forward to seeing you soon...membership £45.00, and worth every penny.
:ok: :ok:

rotorboater
8th Aug 2005, 12:53
Ok so how do you join?

wokkaboy
8th Aug 2005, 13:53
rotorboater,

To join the HCGB visit www.hcgb.co.uk and click the "Join Us" link.

I agree with all the above. I've been a member for about 18 months since gaining my PPLH and have been made very welcome. Trips are interesting and relaxed; members are a friendly bunch.