PDA

View Full Version : So, how do I get to be licenced ?

Yibbet
14th Jun 2000, 16:34
Hi All,

I'm after some advice....

After 12 years RAF service in avionics (L Eng Tech A) I left to enter the wonderful world of cellular phones. I have the usual RAF HNC and HND from my apprenticeship and also a BSC (electronics and computing).

Now I've had enough and miss playing with the aeroplanes and would like to consider getting myself back into aviation as an avionics eng.

Any advice on how this is done, where to go to get myself licenced, and how much I can expect to pay would be most welcome. If possible, I would perfer contact by e-mail.

Oh yeah...if it helps I also have a valid CAA CPL/IR (frozen ATPL)...just a thought...

Many thanks,

------------------
" that's not flying - it's falling with style..."

spannersatcx
15th Jun 2000, 00:16
Have I got enough experience to apply for a licence?
The detailed experience requirements are set out in BCAR Section L but generally an applicant must show at least 4 years aviation maintenance engineering experience including:

(a) for a Category 'A' and/or 'C' LWTR, 36 months relating to Airframe and/or Engine maintenance, 12 months of which must be in the 2 years immediately preceding the date of application.

(b) for any Category 'R' and/or 'X' LWTR (excluding Category 'X' - Compass
compensation and Adjustment), 36 months related to avionic systems, 12 months of which must be in the 2 years immediately preceding the date of application.

6 months within the 12 months referred to in (a) and (b), must be relevant to the specific LWTR for which application is being made. Any of these periods specified may be concurrent. The experience must have been gained whilst
maintaining operating aircraft and not in component workshops or on static or non-flying aircraft.

check th caa website at http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/pld/eld/eld_faq.asp

Clever Bloke
15th Jun 2000, 02:23
If you take your first licence within 5 years of leaving the RAF you will have several exemptions based on your qualifications.

It takes a lot of had work and determination / dedication to make it through all the licences.

I left the RAF with a similar qualification to yours but I would think a few years before you. When did you leave?

growler
15th Jun 2000, 11:24
If you have a CPL/IR , my advise is to forget about fixing aircraft, get a job flying/breaking them!

DISGRUNTLED LAME
18th Jun 2000, 08:07
My advice, DONT BOTHER!!!!! after 20 years in regional/GA aircraft maintenance,my advice go get a decent job ouside the aircraft industry

@¿@

near enuf is good enuf
23rd Jun 2000, 05:07
Agree totally with DL. Steer clear. If you can fly them stay away from fixin' em.

greaseytech
28th Jun 2000, 12:35
Agree with the last 2 posts. I couldn't believe my ears when I heard a director describe aircraft maintenance as a 'Necessary financial evil'. You get treated with little respect, there is no status with being a LAME, and the general attitude is 'You are all engineers, so just get on with it regardless. There may not be enough blokes, there may not be enough spares, there may not be enough hours in the day to do a job, but if the aircraft is late out it is your fault and you as engineers hold all the blame'. Stay away. If I had my time again I would not fix aeroplanes.

Blacksheep
28th Jun 2000, 12:43
A pilot winding up the engineers? Never!

Anyone with a CPL/IR and frozen ATPL would be mad not to use it :) :)

Anyway, for a Tech Service Engineer (Avionics) job the BSc and aircraft experience will do, no need to bother with the licence. Why bother getting your hands dirty if you only want to exercise the brain?

Through difficulties to the cinema

[This message has been edited by Blacksheep (edited 28 June 2000).]