PDA

View Full Version : G550 or G-V type rating and job ?

future G-V driver
6th Aug 2005, 18:41
Hi,

I would like some help and pointers to enable me to find the best/cheapest way to get the above on my UK ATPL.

I understand it is possible to put the G-IV on your license, and then complete a G550 differences course.

Is this the cheapest way forward, and who will offer such training, I initially went to Gulfstream/Simuflite but they want $4,000 p/hr for the G550 sim, crazy.

The other problem is I require 4 landings on a G-IV or G550 to complete my training, any idea's please.

FYI I am a very experienced B744 Captain, TRI/TRE,17,000 hours, but I am desperate to get into the VIP world, and really want to do this.

I intend to freelance RHS to get experience and in time move to the LHS as a captain.

Thank you in advance for any help, tips etc.

Kopeloi
6th Aug 2005, 19:31
Dubai has G550 sim also approved by JAR. Can't see it any cheaper to do GIV first. Ask offers from FSI and Simuflite and then compare. Somehow I think that Simuflite at Dubai will be your best bet.

jollyboy
7th Aug 2005, 07:13
F G-V D

The cheapest way of doing this is to simply do the FAA rating and fly the aircraft based on your FAA ticket. Once you have 500 hours on type, the CAA will transfer the type onto licence (If UK?)

Most operators will be VP-B or VP-C etc reg so you can base any validation on your FAA ticket. If you do not have an FAA ticket, when you go to the course in the States, simply sit the written exam (a doddle) and complete the FAA check ride in order to get the licence.

Most US training centres are also JAA TRTO approved so you can also do the JAA side by side. Once you have flown freelance on the FAA ticket, you will already have your take off and landing requirements....

Many ways to skin the cat! A few companies out there who use freelancers also can get great discounted rates for the type ratings. It is worth coming up with a deal whereby if you pay and get there good rates, you can work for them on a special deal etc

Hope this helps

Cheers
JB:8

FlyMD
7th Aug 2005, 09:48
OK, just to clarify:

1. No use doing a G-IV rating first, it's a G-V rating you need before doing the difference course to 550. If it's the 550 you are wanting to fly, then spend the 60'000 USD in Savannah and do a 550 initial.

2. There is no 550 sim in Dubai. There is a G-V sim in Dubai, and CAE offers a 2-day difference course for G-V rated pilots onto the 550.

My 2-cents: If you are an experienced heavy-jet captain, with a lot of hours, but still young enough to enter the cockpit seat on your own, then you will find operators interested in you. Outfits like Jet Aviation, JetClub, TAG, and the like get much better prices than your for conversion training with FSI or CAE. Why don't you go talk with one of those guys, offer your services, and see if they will let your pay for the conversion at THEIR prices, in return for some freelancing afterwards...

BTW, if you are serious about being willing to do RHS first (including RHS salary), and that your personnality is compatible with the VIP world, then you might not have to pay for the rating at all.... I didn't.

Cheers,

FMD

ww2flyer
8th Aug 2005, 02:57
Firstly the GIV is a different type rating so differences is of no use, what you may be referring to although i would be surprised is the GV with differences for G350 G450 G550.

I have the GV type and I did the differences for the other type with FSI savannah. What I suggest is if you have an FAA license is to ask around on the Forum as there is a DE for the G550 who can sign you off for a fraction of the cost.

The GIV has as much similarity with the GV as the G3 ac has with the GIV.

Any specific questions I will be willing to help. By the way there is another forum called flightinfo which has alot of g pilots.

goodluck ps ar you x BA oh a GV is $30 k

trainer too 2
8th Aug 2005, 07:57
FYI I am a very experienced B744 Captain, TRI/TRE,17,000 hours, but I am desperate to get into the VIP world, and really want to do this.

Doensn't Amiri flight operate VVIP 747-400s??

tophe
8th Aug 2005, 17:18
Amiri is looking for a Training and Line Captain. Add in the flight from 2d to 8th of Aug. Apply to:
HR Division
Amiri Flight
PO Box 689, Abu Dhabi
UAE
[email protected]

Rem: opportunity closes 16th -08-2005

AA717driver
11th Aug 2005, 15:23
future GV--Check your PM's.TC

future G-V driver
16th Aug 2005, 02:03
To all the kind people who responded to my initial questions, THANK YOU.

I have booked the G-V course at Dubai, and there seems to be a very good chance of a job, for someone with my experience.

IF ANYONE OUT THERE WOULD LIKE A G-V RATING, I REQUIRE A CO-PILOT ON THE COURSE, PM ME FOR MORE INFO, price, course date, job prospects etc.

THANKS AGAIN.

Kopeloi
16th Aug 2005, 16:33
Good choice, enjoy your new life!

richterscale10
17th Aug 2005, 05:25
Anybody know of anyone looking for a G550 trained 'crew member' ?