PDA

View Full Version : Shift Change

greaseytech
11th Sep 2000, 12:22
Heard from a bloke in the pub last night (so it must be true) that Brits base maintenance are to incorporate weekend working into the Base Maintenance shift. Don't know the full details. Apparently 4 on 4 off has been ruled out, so how do we let management know of our discontent over this? We already work a 49 hour week for most of the winter, so some time with family is quite benificial for keeping body and soul together. Anybody recruiting out there?

Jango
11th Sep 2000, 13:03
I hear Brits are farming out 767 heavy checks to RBA in Brunei this winter ? - Any truth in that one Greaseytech?

greaseytech
11th Sep 2000, 21:56
Hi Jango

I don't know for certain if any 767's are going to RBA this year, but 2 went out there last year; it saved bringing them back from the Haj. The 767 line had some difficulties last year and some checks overran. So maybe this had something to do with farming out some work. Sometimes a contract is placed just in case we cannot get all our checks done in time, so perhaps this is what you may have heard or seen.

Unless you Ppruners out there in the big Ether know different..................

Jango
12th Sep 2000, 05:00
Thanks GT, I had a request to supply manpower to RBA for this winter..maybe they are gearing up in case they get some overflow from Brits..or someone else?

Courtman
13th Sep 2000, 06:20
Of the BAL fleet last year, DAGYF was on the Hadj and went to Brunei and GBNYS ferried from/to LTN. YS ferried halfway round the globe because it still worked out something like $1.5million cheaper than going to Monarch!!!

The plan is for all aircraft to be maintained in-house, but I wouldn't be surprised to see one or more of the Hadj aircraft get checked in Brunei again.

Blacksheep
18th Sep 2000, 09:03
Brits contracted RBA to do 6 "C" Checks in Brunei over the winter, November to February.

The contract may now be in jeopardy if the docking for the new hangar is not delivered and erected until February next year. The original intent was for RBA (a UKCAA JAR145 approval holder) to run two lines in Base maintenance, one in the original hangar (refurbished two years ago) and the other in the hangar next door they took over when it was vacated by the Royal Flight recently.

In the long term, I'd say that Brits management are seriously looking at putting more aircraft through cheap JAR145 approval holders overseas to cut costs. Watch out for your jobs lads! Weekend working is better than not working at all.

Through difficulties to the cinema

old framer
20th Sep 2000, 18:23
With the amount of expats that have left RBA in the last 2 yrs, I dont know how they will cope ? As for Brits sending their a/c to Browneye its gotta be ' Never mind the quality feel the width '!! Someday the beancounters will have a lot to answer for !