PDA

View Full Version : Plane down in Zambia?

Zedd
6th Aug 2005, 17:00
Just heard that a plane went down in Zambia flying from Mwinilunga to I assume Ndola. Anyone got news on that?

Gunship
8th Aug 2005, 08:31
Pressume it is this one ?

http://www.post.co.zm/homenews.html#HOMED

Missionary dies in Mwinilunga plane crash

A plane carrying three passengers crash-landed on an airstrip in Kaleni Hills in Mwinilunga on Friday resulting in the death of missionary and renowned writer, Rea Thomas Darell who was on board.
Mwinilunga district commissioner John Chidata yesterday said the plane crash-landed, injuring all passengers on board.
The trio sustained serious injuries and were rushed to Lusaka's University Teaching Hospital although Rea has died at UTH while the others are still admitted.
Rea, 90, who was popularly known as "Chiteta" a Lunda name he adopted, died in the early hours of Friday at UTH.
Chidata said Rea, a renowned book writer will be remembered for his great contribution in translating the Bible versions manuscripts from English into the local language, Lunda.
Confusion reigned when word went round that Rea had died as businesses came to a stand still in Mwinilunga.
Rea will be buried at Kaleni Hills near the Source of the Zambezi River in Mwinilunga District.
He leaves behind three children and a wife. - ZANA/ZIS

:sad: RIP :sad:

Zedd
8th Aug 2005, 20:41
I have now heard that the plane took off from Kaleni and appeared to be very heavy. It got to the end of the runway and had barely got off the ground. In an effort to avoid an obstacle the pilot pulled up and stalled, the aircraft crashed into a tree stump. Everyone walked away alive but sadly Mr Rea died later.

Does anyone know the aircraft registration and type?

Very sad to loose another great man who was well loved in Zambia. These are people who have lived through amazing times and have contributed a lot to our home. RIP

organ donor
9th Aug 2005, 09:26
I am very sad to say that it was my Grandfather who died in the accident, and my Uncle who was the pilot. My Grandfather died of heart failure during an operation a couple of days later. I'm not sure what aircraft they were flying, but they were doing a conservation survey in the area.
It can't be overestimated what a contribution he made to that part of Zambia for the people living there. My Uncle Charlie, who was the pilot, continues his tireless work in Zambia, and is currently working on projects to help the local people, among which is a hydro-electric scheme on the Zambezi.

Zedd
9th Aug 2005, 11:29
My condolences to you and Sharon and the rest of the family.

Solid Rust Twotter
9th Aug 2005, 13:26
Never knew them but know the area.

Condolences to you and yours.

Gunship
9th Aug 2005, 19:55
:sad: My sincere condolences organ donor :sad: