PDA

View Full Version : Seat Cushions

MalMerc
5th Aug 2005, 05:24
Hi all,
New to Pprune,

I fly R22s and being of a slightly smaller stature than some, I require a cushion so that I can reach the pedals. Does anyone here know where I might be able to buy one? I've had a good look around and there are plenty of cushions designed to give you a little more height and offer lumbar support but nothing much for the shorter pilot ..... i.e. a cushion you put behind you, not under you!

Much appreciated
MM

helicopter-redeye
5th Aug 2005, 06:48
Yes, its a standard RHC part.

If you fly a machine that is not new or hired then it may well be 'gone' but it is supplied new with new machines, has an approved density and known impact upon the W&B calculation ("..move the balance arm fwd by n"..).

I expect it is in the parts cat. (and prob. about $90 !!)

h-r:)

gadgetguru
5th Aug 2005, 06:52
high-density foam from clark rubber ~$50

'hot' knife from from bunnings ~$40

fumes from the 'shaping' activity - priceless

seriously do it your self
even make your self a cover for it
(or get Nana to knit you one)

- othewise some (thieving) sod is bound to quote you 5 figures for a 'customiser-seat-aviation-one-of'

my 2 cents

Whirlygig
5th Aug 2005, 07:05
Bloomin' 'eck, I didn't even go that hi-tech!

I fly a Schweizer, not a Robinson and want to be able to grip the cyclic with my knees (should I ever need to) and therefore, at 5'5" require a cushion to push me forward in the seat. The pedals were not an issue.

I bought one in the sale in John Lewis for .... hmmm.... about a fiver! But I did make sure that it matched the upholstery of the helicopter; you wouldn't expect anything less of me would you?

Cheers

Whirls

Whirlybird
5th Aug 2005, 07:17
When I was hour building in the US, I flew over to the Robinson factory for their tour, and also bought one of the cushions designed to fit the R22. It cost me $120!!! But if you're going to do long flights, it's worth every cent. It doesn't slip, it's the right size, and it fits to the seat. I consider it my most important piece of flight equipment - laugh if you like; I don't care. And I'm sure they can do them mail order if you ask

TheFlyingSquirrel
5th Aug 2005, 08:07
And I thought Snow White was a fairy tale?

helicopter-redeye
5th Aug 2005, 08:49
At $120/ each I think I'm going to put a chain on mine ...

bladewashout
5th Aug 2005, 11:32
The Robinson custom cushion in matching leather for your leather seats is a whopping $200. Very nice, though...

Comes with a special label advising that the seat belt be put on through a retaining strap in the cushion so it can't fly out when the doors are off. Use of non-approved cushions when the doors are off is, of course, prohibited.... :D

And, of course, it has a beautifully inscribed Robinson part number...

Good if you want to teach kids or those who are shorter in stature, but although your legs reach, aft cyclic gets buried in your tum...

BW

ThomasTheTankEngine
5th Aug 2005, 16:20
Have you tried glueing wooden blocks onto you shoes?

helicopter-redeye
5th Aug 2005, 19:55
The Dutch option perhaps?

h-r:)

ThomasTheTankEngine
5th Aug 2005, 21:15
Yeah clogs or klompen if your Dutch

MalMerc
5th Aug 2005, 23:59
Wooden blocks?

Ahhh .... you'd be suprised how many times that has been suggested. :p

MM

headsethair
6th Aug 2005, 02:27
In the latest Amendments (June 05) to the R44 POH, you have to take into consideration the thickness of any cushion (compressed!) for the W&B calculations.
They have also now added the doors to W&B. It's getting more like a 206 every day.

Ascend Charlie
6th Aug 2005, 03:04
My Japanese student of small stature went to Kmart and bought a child's car booster seat! Worked like a charm.

WLM
6th Aug 2005, 14:00
Have a look at www.oregonaero.com
They have the type of cushion you're looking for
Cheers

Whirlybird
6th Aug 2005, 18:22
Good if you want to teach kids or those who are shorter in stature, but although your legs reach, aft cyclic gets buried in your tum...

?????
Maybe my tum isn't as big as yours. :) Never had that problem.

I've tried a kid's booster seat. It's OK for short flights, not for long ones, and definitely not for instructors flying all day. It's far too solid, and will give you backache. It's also the wrong shape, and slips.

OK, so I'm a sensitive little soul who wants to be comfortable and doesn't mind paying for it. Tease me all you like. It cost me about....20 minutes in an R22, 10 minutes in an R44, a couple of minutes in anything else. Get it in perspective, guys and gals.

MalMerc
9th Aug 2005, 00:44
Thanks guys,

I contacted Robinson and they quoted $110 US ..... and I get to pick the colour! A little steep I guess but necessary for us vertically challanged people.

MM