PDA

View Full Version : Britannia Engineering

spanners
3rd Mar 2000, 21:38
Hi everyone, I have heard a rumour today that engineering is to be sold off, with only a line operation to be maintained. Any truth in this, and if so, who will take on base engineering/

Greaseytech, you must know something.......?

greaseytech
4th Mar 2000, 01:00
Hi Spanners
Yes it is true, heavy maintenance is to be sold off and we will have a new employer by September, but as to who they will be, heaven only knows. Apparently Boeing are hot favourites, but, so they tell us there are 11 companies who have expressed an interest. Hope some of you guys out there in Ppruneland might have heard something on the grapevine. As for me, I am brushing up my CV with the thought that, if I am to have a new employer, then I might as well have a new job. Any vacancies, preferably line based, for an A & C with approvals out there? You may hear that a lot in the next few months.

spanners
4th Mar 2000, 02:15
Thanks for the reply,
It is very sad that it has come to this.
I'll be quite interested to see who picks up the maint work, and Brits will become just another customer to them.

The hippy
4th Mar 2000, 16:18
This is bad news for all,
staff travel will soon be a thing of the past for us all, yet more privalages taken from us. and I`m sorry to say that respect for third party engineers rates in the council worker league.
When will these money making companys learn?

The hippy
4th Mar 2000, 16:30
Sorry for the bitter and twisted note above.

same thing happened to me with Dan Air, sold to FLS for 8 million.
lost lots of friends when cost cutting came ,never really felt that my work was appreciatted even doing maintance for six or seven different Airlines a year.the heart never seamed to worry about the finer points or how the cabin looked.Feel much better now since I`ve moved.
Even talking to the flight deck has a more plesant side, at least we all try to pull together,if its going wrong(?)

greaseytech
5th Mar 2000, 01:19
Yo Hippy!

Glad to hear that things have worked out for you. Can you tell me who you now work for? if you dno't want to make it public, e-mail me. I am updating my CV as I prefer to work for an airline rather than a 3rd party maintenance organisation, and my feelings are from bitter experience. Hope to secure a line job somewhere. By the way, in times gone by there was a lot of good will between line and hangar, with hangar staff supporting the line function during the summer season. I bet the bean counters haven't thought of that one! We live in interesting times.

A and C
9th Mar 2000, 23:38
After Dan-Air sold the engineering they did not last long , i dont think this will happen in this case but once control of the maintenance is lost you can no longer control the costs in the long term.
This is not a problem to the beancounters as they will have moved on by the time the problem comes home to roost.

growler
10th Mar 2000, 11:54
greaseytech; believe me , you do not want to work for the same co as hippy, especially on line maint at your station.
you would be better off joining the rest of your colleagues in the easyDome.

gas path
13th Mar 2000, 19:45
Heard today three companies in the frame...
Goodrich
FLS
KLM
But I'd stand corrected if it is duff gen!
p.s IMHO A big mistake, just to improve the bottom line.

The hippy
15th Mar 2000, 01:19
GOODRICH?????

Ive heard of wheel bays but not one that BIG!!!!

greaseytech
15th Mar 2000, 02:04
A mate at work asked jeeves who was buying Britannia's engineering devision and got the reply thet Lufthansa Teknik were interested in 'Forging a greater relationship' with Britannin's engineering devision. Anybody out there know what they are like to work for?

gas path
15th Mar 2000, 02:27
Hippy
yep B.F.Goodrich!!!
Heard that from an aeeu shop stupid er! shop steward sorry!!
hhmmm.. then again it probably is duff gen!
Lufthansa or KLM I think either would be o.k.

HiSpeedTape
16th Mar 2000, 02:02
The answer to the question is... JMC!
Well actually it's the German majority shareholder in JMC. Called something like Prestaag or something along those lines.

growler
18th Mar 2000, 15:04
Someone asked what LH Technik were like to work for? Well although I have never actually worked for them I have been able to observe at close range. Whilst on OJT at FRA I observed a large hangar full of 747's with a very laid back atmosphere. Whilst looking around a 747 on D check in the corner of the hangar we found guys hiding in every nook and cranny running card schools etc.
Whilst working at TXL on the line I saw regular wheel changes taking place with a minimum of 3 people in attendance, and then they had to take the book to an office for signing! LH pilots often commented that they received little or no service from LH line engineers. So it sounds as if they are not too hard a task master, but will they insist in paying you in DM's or E's? Personally I'd rather have a new pair of DM's than be forced to use illegal drugs!!

I'll get me coat!

The hippy
19th Mar 2000, 01:04
A very strong rumour, is the top man with all the money (owens)in dotty M has given permission for the directors to put in a bid.