PDA

View Full Version : The old boy network!

woof
4th Aug 2005, 19:44
It would appear that more and more airlines are advertising via "on-line" application form and dispensing with CVs all together. Does this therefore render the network system obsolete?

I appreciate that for the BAs and Virgins etc, the network will remain strong, but for the operators who employ low houred pilots, how much does a “man on the inside” help nowadays?

It goes without saying that to continue networking can’t harm, but does it help as much now as it did before??

GoldenMonkey
4th Aug 2005, 23:37
mmmmm. I had a think about this one. Not sure I agree actually. Whether you send a CV through the post or apply through an online website, the application initially ends up in the same place.... in the Airline selection processing centre.
What then makes the 'selector' read and process your application?
I believe this is where the personal touch or the old boys network still has its effect. A word from someone on the inside may push that person into looking up your details in the database, just as it would have been the CV from the intray in the good old days.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Good luck with it all.

GM

Maude Charlee
5th Aug 2005, 08:53
Nope, still alive and well on-line too.

"Do you know a Company employee?"

"If yes, whom?"

"How well?"

From the e-application of a UK charter carrier. Plenty more examples where that came from too.

:D

Bean75767
5th Aug 2005, 12:32
Two fleet managers from our company recently told me that they prefer to receive recommendations than blind CVs. The 'Old Boys/Girls Network' is alive and well and used widely in this industry.
Everyone knows someone who knows someone so start looking for the contact now. The most important thing is to target your networking to the airlines who are most likely to take you on rather than those that might take you on or those that you would like to take you on. Remember in the interview that the interviewer has already got a picture of you and your personality in his head and only you can shatter that illusion.
If you are a Low Houred Pilot looking to win his/her first commercial position then target accordingly. The backbone of training for this career is the t-prop regional & cargo airlines where you will serve your apprenticeship and really learn what flying is about. Most of the Captains that you are sending your CVs to now have been trough the system and will tell you the same. Think hard about who you know and start the search now. There are lots more websites like this one where your networking can really kick-start things for you. Good luck.