PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Cape Canaveral from Fort Lauderdale

Self Loading Freight
4th Aug 2005, 18:33
There's a chance I'll be visiting Fort Lauderdale later this year, and I'd like to pop up the coast and visit Kennedy Space Center. Anyone know if there's a convenient airport, or would I be better off hiring a car and driving the couple of hundred miles?

R

PaperTiger
4th Aug 2005, 21:30
Melbourne (KMEL) is closest but there is only sporadic air service from Ft. Lauderdale (unless you meant flying yourself ?).
Orlando Airport is about an hour's drive from the Cape and that's the option I'd take if only to avoid the horrendous I-95 traffic.

RevMan2
5th Aug 2005, 09:59
I'd drive, but take your time. Florida Turnpike until it rejoins the 95 and then toddle along the coastal roads through Vero etc. Found it rather enjoyable

5th Aug 2005, 11:42
I'd agree strongly with RevMan2.

Take a leisurely drive up the coast road (US Highway1 I think).
I found it one of the nicest areas in Florida, and far enough from the interstate, so it's not too tourist filled.

Tinstaafl
5th Aug 2005, 17:38
If you're going to hire a plane & fly yourself then the closest aerodrome is Merritt Island (KCOI). Hire car is available or use of the courtesy car for a limited period (~2hrs is generally considered a reasonable maximum. It's polite to return the car with a full tank).

Merritt Is. is the same island that has the space centre &the aerodrome is ~15-20nm from the launch sites. All flying ops close during shuttle launches & recoveries due to the TFR that is promulgated. Very simple drive from the airstrip to the space centre. Turn right leaving the airstrip onto SR3 (Courtenay Pkwy) & follow the road until you bump into the space centre.

Otherwise I95 is about the quickest to get from Ft Lauderdale to the Space Coast if driving. Take the SR408 (the 'Beeline') exit East to cross the Indian River then left onto SR3 (Courtenay Pkwy). Follow the signs to the space centre.

I sat on the hangar roof at work at KCOI to watch the shuttle launch the other week. :ok:

FormerFlyer
5th Aug 2005, 18:53
I agree - drive up the road. And if you're in the area then when not rent my villa too :D

cheers ;)
FF

RevMan2
9th Aug 2005, 14:45
And if you're in the vicinity of Stuart, it's worth dropping in. V. nice small town with a local amateur theatrical venue and a most enjoyable restaurant (Black Marlin).

seacue
9th Aug 2005, 17:58
This assumes you will be driving.

US Route 1 was established a long time ago and is largely bordered by businesses - some rather deteriorated.

Florida route A1A follows the coast on the off-shore islands as much as possible. Definitely not fast, but you might want to take it part of the way - starting with Lauderdale - use the 17th street route to the beach, only a few intersections north of where the access road from KFLL meets US 1. A1A has to nip back to the mainland to get around some inlets that aren't bridged. It uses the same roads as US 1 when on the mainland.

The Playalinda Beach part of the Cape Canaveral National Seashore is just north of the Space Center - within sight. Absolutely no commercial development.

You'll probably want to drive one way on Interstate 95. North of West Palm Beach it's inland a bit, on the edge of a completely undeveloped semi-Everglades area. DeLorme mapping software says the I-95 trip will take about 4 hours, 200 miles.

Taking A1A and/or US1 is likely to be about 7 hours - roughly the same distance. Lots of 35 mph limits.

There are a number of OK motels at Cocoa Beach and cheaper ones at Titusville on the mainland.

We old folks remember the early days of the Cape which the Pogo comic strip called Cape Carnival. Hard to drive that out of one's head.

brockenspectre
9th Aug 2005, 19:52
I have found that The Randolph Inn in Titusville always has good rates and it's in a great location for local eateries - darn, what is the name of that amazing fish 'n steak place? Paul's SmokeHouse? - as well as close by the Space Center :ok:

seacue
9th Aug 2005, 21:37
Last time I stayed at Titusville was at the Randolph. I'd stayed there years before when it was part of one the main chains. It's a little frayed these days, but clean and cheap.

There are discount hotel coupon books for Florida. Maybe available at McD's. I suspect you could do as well just by a slight negotiation.

I can remember the early 90's when I was at Jacksonville, Fla, in the autumn. Restaurants had "early bird specials" from 5 to 8 pm!

seacue

strake
10th Aug 2005, 08:59
If you go via the turnpike, the one phrase I guarantee you'll be sick of by the time you get there is "Yeehaw"

seacue
10th Aug 2005, 14:12
I was at Yeehaw Junction in January 1958 in my VW Bug. That was many years before the Florida Turnpike existed. I was crossing Florida W to E on state Rte 60 which wasn't paved. In fact it had rained so the road was just deep ruts in the mud. I don't think any other car could have made it. When I got to Yeehaw (just one building, store/gas station) a fellow wanted to hitch a ride to civilization. He claimed his vehicle had broken down and there was no telephone at Yeehaw. Rte 60 from Yeehaw to Vero Beach was also unpaved, but not as deep ruts as west of Yeehaw.

Ah, the foolishness of youth.

Yeehaw is still about as close to "Nowhere" as you can get in Florida. It is in cattle ranching country.

seacue

Self Loading Freight
12th Aug 2005, 16:31
(scribble scribble)

Thanks, all. Invaluable gen. I fancy taking a slow pootle up the coast road and keeping it as rural as possible, then a Titusville motel. I'll be lugging along the camera and positively welcome the chance of a bit of interesting decrepitude... but when I get the timetable for the official reason for my visit, I'll be much clearer about what, where and when.

Unlikely to need a villa, though! Sorry about that.

R

seacue
13th Aug 2005, 04:44
Aviation history note:

I was at Melbourne, FL, about 25 years ago. At that time I saw what I was sure was one of the airway beacon lights erected in the late 1920s, early 1930s. I'm very vague as to the location, but I know it was visible just to the west of US 1. My best guess is that it was just a few streets north of US 192.

Before the advent of the 4-course MF radio ranges, the USA had a system of fixed beacon searchlights marking airways. There was certainly such an airway down the east coast of Florida. The location I mention above is just east of the Melbourne airfield. The beacons were on approximately 50-ft 4-legged self-supporting towers. There was a platform just below the top to allow working on the two beacon lights setting the courses north and south of this beacon.

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/howitbegan.htm
Scroll down for picture and better description of beacon system.

seacue