PDA

View Full Version : Harv's Air

Sprawler
23rd Apr 2005, 00:08
I've noticed a number of posts from people looking for hour building options. As I've just come back from four weeks hour building in Canada, I thought I'd share my experiences here in the hope of benefiting someone else in the same position as I was.

I found the choice of hour building options, one of the hardest decisions I've had to make. There are just so many options to chose from, from around the world. Plus, its not that easy to just pop down to Australia and check somewhere out. That's what makes forums like these so beneficial.

One of the most important factors for me was weather. I had initially planned to start my hour building in the Autumn. I looked at some of the Southern Hemisphere options, such as Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. After careful consideration I ruled these places out for several reasons. Australia and New Zealand were just not going to be cost effective. The hourly hire rates were more expensive than in Canada/USA and by the time you factor in air fare, the cost was even more. I was initially quite keen on South Africa as its a place I really want to visit. However, again hire rates and air fare were going to be more than in Can/USA. More importantly though, as I also wanted to complete my night rating, in order to fly solo at night in South Africa, you must have a South African PPL. This would mean completing all their ground exams and a flight test. After having just complete my ATPL exams, the thought of doing more exams just didn't appeal to me.

So, I looked to the good old US of A! I applied for the foreign licence validation and started emailing schools in Florida, South Carolina, California, Arizona and Nevada. I was bitterly disappointed with the response I received. At lot of places were just not interested in the lowly hour builder. I emailed several high profile schools in South Florida that are popular amongst Europeans and to this day I am still waiting for a response.

As it was looking more and more likely that it would be March before I was in a position to start my hour building, I figured that the weather in Canada would be staring to warm up a bit so again I looked at my options here. I had looked at Harv's Air in Steinbach, Manitoba before based on recommendations and posts from other people on this forum. I emailed Adam Penner and was very impressed to receive an email that very day with detailed answers to all my questions. In fact, every email that I sent Adam was replied to promptly, something not one single school from all the other schools I had emailed were able to do. After many, many questions and a careful analysis of cost, aircraft and accommodation I decided to go to Harv's Air.

I have to admit, sitting in the aircraft in Toronto on my way to Winnipeg, being de-iced and seeing all the snow upon arrival in Winnipeg, I was wondering if I had made the right decision in coming to Canada. The thought of hitting the beach in Florida after a day's flying and seeing lots of beautiful girls in skimpy bikinis, was suddenly very appealing. In the end though, I couldn't have picked a better time of year to go. I got to experience the extreme cold during the first couple weeks and beautiful warm spring weather during my last week. I logged just over 80 hours in four weeks and only lost one day due to weather! I don't think I've ever seen the sun shine as much and for so long as when I was there, even on holidays in Spain/Portugal.

Upon arrival in Winnipeg, (yes, it was bloody cold) Adam was there to meet me and took me down to the house I was staying at for the first couple days in Steinbach. Harv's Air provide two accommodation options. One is a house in Steinbach town and they also have three houses (trailers) located at the airfield. If you are staying in town, they will let you use one of the school cars, free of charge, to get to and from the airfield. I spent a couple nights there until a room became free at the school. Accommodation in both places is excellent. There's a good mix of both Canadian and International students both in the school and staying at the houses, so you get to meet people from all over the world. When I was there, there were a good few of us from Europe and a few guys from India, Oman and Kenya. I have to say, the on-site accommodation at Harv's Air was a big factor for me. Its great living so close, as you can just come and go as you please. Its a great feeling to be able to get up in the morning, wander over to the flight school, take a look at the weather and say, "yep, I think I'll go flying today." They also have a couple cars that you can rent to go into town for groceries or whatever else you might need to do. Steinbach itself is a quirky little town but the people were just so friendly and helpful. Its amazing but I actually kinda miss the place!

I wont go into all the school has offer as they do a good enough job of this on their website. Its a small, family run school and has a real family atmosphere. Everyone there is so friendly and they go out of their way to introduce themselves to you. The instructors are all first class. I never heard anyone complain about their instructor. If you have any questions, they are always willing to stop and help you out. All the aircraft are in good condition. Again, you can check out the fleet on the website. I mostly flew their C152's and also the Warrior. They have a pretty good computerised booking system and as long as you book a day or two in advance you wont have a problem. I certainly never had any problems getting an aircraft. There's a dedicated dispatch staff to help and they have their own maintenance facility on site.

The airspace is southern Manitoba is wide open, although it can get pretty busy in the circuit. Steinbach North is located just to the north of Steinbach and is about 2 minutes flying time from Steinbach South. If I wanted to do some circuit practice and Steinbach South was too busy, I used to just go up there and at most there might be one or two other aircraft in the circuit. Winnipeg International is about 30nm to the north and there was never any problems getting in for a touch and go. ATC were always very friendly and helpful. Its great to be able to go in there and mix it up with the big boys. They'll usually let you fly over downtown on the way back too.

It took a bit of time getting used to navigating across the snow covered prairies, plus Manitoba is fairly flat and featureless but I quickly got used to it and found it easier navigating when there was snow on the ground as the roads and towns tended to stand out more. As you fly east into Ontario, the landscape changes dramatically into lakes and forest. Its incredibly beautiful. Most of the aircraft are equipped with GPS anyway, so if you do find yourself getting lost, you can always cross check your position with that.

One of the highlights of my four weeks was flying down to the US. A great experience. While I was there, one of the other hour builder's went to Toronto for a few days and the guys I stayed with have just headed off on a big trip to Calgary during the week and if the weather conditions are right, they'll head over the Rockies and on to Vancouver. I'm so jealous as it would be an awesome trip!

I certainly have no complaints in choosing Harv's Air and wouldn't hesitate in recommending it to someone else but like anything in this business, do as much research as possible before you part with your cash. Harv's Air suited me and I was really glad in my decision but that's not to say it will suit you or your needs. Look at all your options.

If anyone has any queries or questions about the school, please feel free to PM me and I'll try and reply to you as soon as I can.

All the best in your decision.

Sprawler

Foz2
23rd Apr 2005, 18:02
I would second all of the above - I got back from Harvs in March after spending just over a month there hour building. I had a great time but the weather wasnt quite so kind as it seems to be now. One thing about flying around Manitoba is that it really teaches you to fly your headings and trust your times as there is very little on the ground to prompt you. I am soon to start my CPL and I think the experience of that will really help me.

I think 'Sprawler' has said everything that I could say! If you want a friendly, welcoming, family run flight school to do your flight training or hour building then you cant go wrong with Harvsair. Top rate!

Foz

conor_mc
24th Apr 2005, 13:11
Thanks for the feedback guys, there's some great quality info on Harv's website - I like that about them, it comes across as being up-front rather than the cagey impression you get from vague websites.

Just curious, how did you guys travel to Steinbach - which airline etc. and what would be a ballpark air fare?

What to do?
24th Apr 2005, 17:31
Hi, great post, can you tell me the hourly rates (roughly) at the moment?

Cheers

Foz2
24th Apr 2005, 18:40
Hi,

I travelled to Chicago (United) then onto Winnipeg (United Express). Was a lot cheaper than I expected aswell (just over £400 if i remember rightly). However there is a new airline just started called Zoom which is the only one to travel direct from London to Winnipeg. Check it out.

As regards hourly rates, its all on their website. I was paying $85 per hour for a C152. That equates to about £36 or so. That rate includes headsets if you dont want to take your own.

Do PM if any other info is required.

Foz

YYZ
24th Apr 2005, 22:07
Hi Guys

Im in Canada at the moment hour building, Im at Burlington Air park, which Incorporates Spectrum Airways, Lots of planes to choose from, C152 at $102.00 per hour plus tax, No other fees at all!

I used THIS WEBSITE (http://www.canadianaffair.com/welcomeflash.htm) to book my flight, really good and as cheap as I could find anywhere! Used this company four times now to come to Canada and not one problem.

Good post Sprawler!

Enjoy
YYZ:ok:

wbryce
25th Apr 2005, 11:30
What was the hire price on the warrior at harvs?

I'm contemplating a flying holiday which will help me build some hours this summer.

Do you know if they are happy to hire their aircraft out for periods? say for a 5 day trip.

nosewheelfirst
25th Apr 2005, 13:59
I'll third everything that was said above. I'm the guy who flew to Toronto and had an excellent time. I got stuck for a couple of days around the great lakes due to weather but Adam was not the least bit bothered that i was running late, he was very accomodating. Canada is an excellent place to fly and it avoids hastle of applying for VISAs or VISA wavers.

I flew Zoom from Glasgow to Toronto then an internal Air Canada flight from Toronto to Winnipeg (glad i did not book with Jetsgo). The airport pickup service is excellent as Steinbach is and hour south of Winnipeg by road. I think my Zoom flight was £350 and the AC flight £170 although the direct service from Gatwick to Peg will make it a lot cheaper.

While I was in Steinbach I stayed in the house in town and the hire cars were free for us to use to get between the house and the airport. The accomodation is cheap but comfortable, I have no complaints.

All in all I was there for 16 days and managed 30 hrs flying which is more than I expected to do. All the guys and galls out there were fantastic and I had an excellent time, pitty there is only one pub :)

I've uploaded some pictures of the trip onto this website
http://groups.msn.com/StevesFlyingPages/canada2005.msnw

WBryce the warrior is available for around £45 an hour (it has an autopilot) and they are happy for you to take the aircraft away for trips my trip to Toronto took 5 days in all.

Regards
Stephen :)

Sprawler
26th Apr 2005, 15:43
conor_mc, I flew from Dublin to NY with Aer Lingus (EI) for €340 and then on to Winnipeg with Air Canada, via Toronto, for US$327. I went through NY as I wanted to spend a couple days with my Brother who lives there. Unfortunately though, you can't fly direct from NY to Winnipeg. Might be easier to fly via Chicago with EI and then direct to YWG with AC or one of the US carriers. EI do some good online deals if you book enough in advance. I know Air Canada used to fly from Dublin to Toronto but don't appear to anymore. Might just have been a summer season thing.

You can check out the Harv's Air rates here http://www.harvsair.com/site/information/rates.html

YYZ, how's the hour building going?

YYZ
26th Apr 2005, 21:01
Hey Sprawler

Glad you got back OK.
Hour buliding going well. 15 left to get over the next week, so should be no problem.
Have not gone as far as Thunder Bay but have gone up to Gore Bay, so not that far away.
Shame we did not get the chance to meet up! could of been a good night out?
Will be in Belfast during July sometime, if you're around then we could meet for a pint or four? Or if you're ever in sunny Leeds give me a shout.

Onwards to the CPL!!

Enjoy
YYZ:ok:

What to do?
4th Aug 2005, 17:11
Hi all

I recently visited Harv's air in Canada and have the following things to say/warn.

1) It's a completely dry town & not even allowed in the accom.
2) The weather wasn't great.
3) The place is completely flat which makes it pretty boring hour building.
3) No noise/music after 10:00.
4) Many of the students were mind numbingly boring.

On the upside

1) Good planes
2) No visa
3) It isn't that much more than US places.

The thing is, I did my PPL at Ormond Beach, where:

1) The instructors were (in my opinion) decent.
2) There was a social night
3) We could play music
4) We were encouraged to get our heads down and study, but they also encouraged us to see a few things.

Now I'm aware of the problems with OB, but my experience at Harv's (where I was told Harv even dissaproves of coffee drinking) was not a scratch on OB, which is widely thought to be the worst around. Makes me wonder about how amazing some places must be!!

Cheers

FlyingForFun
4th Aug 2005, 20:58
No experience of the place whatsoever, so a completely impartial view of your comments:

1) It's a completely dry town & not even allowed in the accom - which is probably a good thing if you're there for flight training?

2) The weather wasn't great - not sure what you mean by that. If you mean it wasn't blue skies every day, that's a good thing, because you never learn about weather if it's blue skies every day. If you mean it was so bad you never got any flying done, that's a bad thing.

3) The place is completely flat which makes it pretty boring hour building. So is Florida. But hour-building doesn't need a JAR-approved school, you can go literally anywhere in the world

3) No noise/music after 10:00. If that's a major problem for you, find your own accomodation somewhere.

4) Many of the students were mind numbingly boring. I'm sure they thought the same about you!

On your plus points:

1) Good planes - that's good

2) No visa, which is also good, although a visa shouldn't cause any problems if you have the time and patience to get it arranged in advance

3) It isn't that much more than US places. No, there are plenty of US places which have good planes, and you don't need a visa to hour-build in the US, only to train (but I agree it is a big hassle)

Interestingly, you don't mention the instruction, which I find strange because that, IMHO, is the single most important point!

From your post, it seems to me that you're more interested in having a party than learning to fly. I'm sure that's not a reflection of the facts, only the way it comes across in your post. We haven't seen to much on here about Harv's, but as an interested bystander I'd like to know what you thought of the training you received - and I'm sure that other PPRuNers who are thinking of going there would appreciate that even more.

FFF
--------------

Lee Frost
4th Aug 2005, 22:06
Good post from FUN

I've first hand knowledge of a few who have been out to Harv's.

They have both given the place a big thumbs up. I hope going without alcohol for a wee while isn't too much of a big deal for you!

AFAIK the place runs nice aircraft, they are really friendly / helpful, and as you note the price hits the spot too.

As FFF says, how about posting something constructive for people who are thinking about hoursbuilding out there......tuition standards.....anything meaningful about local flying considerations etc.

& Cheer up you miserable ba$tard :}

LF

flyndad
5th Aug 2005, 08:01
I had the pleasure of attending this school last winter. Apart from the freezing cold weather my experience with them was very positive. I spent a week at their on airport accommodation.
They had a mix of students from around the world and you had the choice of your own private room.
The aircraft were in excellent shape and lots of them too. Yes, the landscape is flat but no big deal. If you are looking for mountains head to Calgary or out to BC.
The town is dry but if you really need to drink theres a bar not far out of town and with a bit of driving Winnipeg nightlife on the weekend is fairly good.
All in all a good value flight school with clean aircraft and accommodation.

Send Clowns
5th Aug 2005, 08:34
There's no reason, FFF, not to have a few beers in the evening while flight training! Seems from the post that the general complaint (apart from dull scenery) was a poor social life. Being as What was away from home, this would tend to be depressing and mean too much intense focus on the flying, which is not a good thing, especially if that isn't interesting. Remember the stimulation curve in HP&L?

My opinion would be that going without good social interaction for more than a week is an important concern, to the level perhaps of being a significant flight-safety hazard.

Foz2
5th Aug 2005, 10:22
I went out to Harvs earlier this year for hour building for about a month and my experience was excellent.

The aircraft are in great condition, the staff are probably some of the most friendly and accomodating people ive ever met. It is very much a family business and they really make you feel at home.

The scenary is very flat, but as said in an earlier post, they are are more than happy for you to take an aircraft away for a week (while i was there people went to Toronto, California, Calgary). The flat scenary also doesnt allow you to feature crawl because there is nothing on the ground. This is excellent if you are hour building towards a CPL where its all about trusting your headings and timings.

The airspace is wide open and ATC welcome you to Winnipeg International if you fancy it. Hardly anywhere charges landing fees.

The instruction i recieved during my checkouts was top drawer which if you are going there to get a licence in my opinion is the single most important thing. I also trusted them implicitly regarding money and every invoice i had was entirely correct - something that is lacking in some Florida flight schools who shall remain nameless.

As far as the town goes it is pretty quiet and i didnt manage to find any bars/pubs however there is a cinema. That for me is the area in which harvs could improve. Maybe arranging some nights out in Winnipeg or something. Obviously you are there for the flying, but being able to let off some steam in the evenings is important.

If you want to go and fly at a great flight school then thumbs up, if you want great nightlife go elsewhere.

Foz

VisaGeeza
5th Aug 2005, 14:29
I am baffled:confused: you go and rent an aircraft and then complain that there is no local life? You imply that you are there hour building as opposed to doing a PPL. Were you confined to the traffic pattern? couldn't you fly the aircraft to somewhere with more interesting terrain and/or life?

As the expresion goes "you should get out more" and certainly you shoul fly away from the close proximity to the home airport.

Craggenmore
6th Aug 2005, 16:56
1)...No booze

2)...Dead flat

3)...Poor weather

Sounds like the mighty Oxford Aviation Training's former CPL training base, Tyler, Texas, USA.

However,

1)...we still got pi$$ed (even in a 'dry' county plus a 40 mile round trip to the nearest liquor shop)

2)...We could all navigate to a nameless Oil Refinery within 3 seconds of our eta.

and...3)...Despite being based in "Tornado Alley", the most turbulent part of the USA, we could all hold our altitude and heading to precise and exacting standards even though the updraughts were incredible on some days.

:p

pipergirl
6th Aug 2005, 18:09
awww poor wickle what to do....no drinky winky for a wee while...boo hoo...

hardly a basis on which to call a school "pants"(by the by-being the social butterfly you seem to be-you should know that expression is SO 1997)....here's me thinking the fact that their a/c, training and facilities which have a great reputation was what matters..tsk silly me
i wonder if you put up a post saying that Ormond Beach was "pants"-how long would it last??

The fact that all the information is clearly stated on their website regarding house rules was obviously wasted on you. So your research into your choice of flight school was thorough and precise..fair play to you, you definitely seem like you know your priorities when it comes to your flight training

nobody is denying that you need to unwind after flying for most of the day-but this information is clearly stated on their website and you made a choice to go there, nobody forced you. If this was an important feature for you, you should have looked up harvsair on this site and contacted people who had visited the school in the recent pastor asked people what the school was like.
If my memory serevs me righ, a long long thread was posted here a few months ago detailing what the school was like.

But the fact that people are boring, or the weather is bad or the scenery is awful does not make it reasonable to call a school bad(or should I say "pants")

IndiaAlphaLima
25th Aug 2005, 09:49
I think I know who this is..

As I remember the frantz motor in 3 miles away serves alchohol until 2 on thursday friday sat. True steinbach is dry but the bar is only 3 miles away on the city limits. Also Sitting in your accomodation not talking to those of us having bbq's etc will make you boring and uninteresting. I enjoyed harv's and by flying over flat land as well as ontario (less flat) and to other areas I found a diversity of challenges.

how often did you fly Lac du Bonet to Gimli i wonder. No wonder you were bored. Did you go to the US at all. True I did move out from the accomodation to live with my girlfriend but that was not down to Harv, Betty or Adam. Wind your neck in mate. Just because it was personal for you don't rag on a good school. If you want to party do it in moderation.

If i'm wrong I apologise but I really don't think this is a fair assesment.

IndiaAlphaLima

tonker
9th Sep 2005, 08:02
Here's a good tip

If your ever on a spec ops trip and your asked to give the troops the green light don't turn on the searchlight by mistake!

Philip Aerodynamics
9th Sep 2005, 17:05
The original post made me laugh, you´re right theres nothing more boring than a dull, empty heartless airfield can anyone beat Innesfail Queensland jesus that was testing, just me and a ROO having a pint, Jerez is almost as bad you´re lucky if your still awake taxiing in. The UK has many rainy dreary half runway half grass, half built in the second or even first world war, with wooden old caravans and a dirty old mug for your tea. I´m sure bush flying in Africa could compare all very romantic but borrring as hell once you land.

GazDeLuxe
21st Sep 2005, 13:15
All in all this turns out to be a good reason to pay a visit to Harvs Air and/or Steinbach airport. Quite a distance from here Montreal CYHU but in order to have some hour building it might be nice to fit it in :eek:

'What to do?´no style to post like this. :hmm:

For those looking for CAA JAA conversions (like me), they offer some nice deals regarding this mather, worth to have a look at it.

Cheers - Gaz

flash8
18th Dec 2005, 16:59
Kinda ironic, the orignal poster tries to negate harvs, but in my opinion, his negatives are the kinda positives a serious students needs!

I'll be pointing folks in the direction of Harvs, seems from the comments I see here its a pretty fine outfit (I've heard that on numerous occasions elsewhere)

And no I have no affiliation to them.