PDA

View Full Version : Contract Pilot work questions

angelorange
4th Aug 2005, 17:09
Hi

just looking into an offer from PAS. New to the contract game and appreciate any advice.

Present job stable but lower than industry average pay and almost always on call on the crew rostering front. However it pays the bills and the PAS deal (based in Italy) says house and car included for reasonable monthly wage but g-tee only 3 months with probable renewable thereafter.

Is it worth the risk?

Guess this is more for the GA/Private/Corporate flyers but presume one is almost self employed doing this kind of work even in EU? So tax and insurance implications...?

Defenestrator
7th Aug 2005, 13:54
If I was you I'd ask my current employer for 3 months leave of abscence. That or burn up all your leave owing and perhaps take some in arrears or without pay. Do the first 3 months as a taste test. Be the contract good or bad make a decision then. If you cannot get the time off I wouldn't touch it. Job paying the bills is better than no job at all. I'd only do it if the money was extremely good and by that I mean 2 or 3 times what you're on now.

Good luck
Defenestrator.........straight out the window.:)

OneWorld22
8th Aug 2005, 17:26
Hmm, be careful re the 3 month thing. I have known agencies to have clauses in their contract demanding 90 days notice! And they will usually hold back US$500 or so every month as a "completion bonus". So if you leave before the notice or break any of the multitude of clauses they will keep this money! It can add up over a long contrat so beware.

(And they don't even put this money into an interest bearing account for you!)

angelorange
9th Aug 2005, 13:53
thanks guys

I will investigate leave of absence deal