PDA

View Full Version : Dream job?

JET SET SPARKY
6th Jun 2000, 22:26
While flying around-the-world spannering one of our company's charter trips ,i came across an ex-pat named Wally in Western Samoa,half-jokingly asked him about any jobs going there....'Yes,there's jobs here if you want one' ....hmmmm....
Now if i'd had the balls to do it,this was one place i'd love to work,beautiful country,beautiful people,relaxed lifestyle...and a million miles away from english weather.......i was there for a few days only,but it left a lasting impression....where are the'dream jobs' for the rest of guys/girls?..some of you may be there already!
------------------------------------------
happiness is a u/s polynesian 737...maybe

Jango
7th Jun 2000, 05:09
I bet there are plenty of expats living the troppo life, but I bet most are on local terms not on mega expat salaries.

I took a job in Singapore, pay is okay, but I could get more elsewhere, it is the quality of life that counts!

Ho Hum Just Another ****ty Day in Paradise...

Mice
7th Jun 2000, 13:31
Believe me Jet Set, it is not all it is cracked up to be. While the pay might seem OK, you soon get sick of limited food choice, often at exorbitant prices, buying bottled water, fluctuating power supply, mediocre housing, sometimes poor personal security, no career advancement (important to some) and limited medical facilities.
And, the first hurricane/typhoon soon puts the balmy weather in perspective.

See and enjoy, but do not think the grass is that much greener on that side. The very traits that make a good engineer would have you pretty bored within a short time there.

Been there, dun that!

------------------
When all else fails, read the manual!

aeroguru
8th Jun 2000, 16:45
My ideal would be somewhere like Surabaya or Utapao with a couple of flights a week,not during unsocial hours of course.
Accom in a paid for bungalow with loads of exes.A pool of course and maid.Local support by the national airline who could do everything even if you and the avionics chappie cannot make it,for some reason.I keep telling various agencies that I could manage something like that for around 60 grand P.A. but others must be getting those type of jobs for nothing I guess.

Techman
8th Jun 2000, 17:19
Surabaya!!, couldn't you have found a crummier place?.

Nanti.

aeroguru
8th Jun 2000, 18:32
Yes, of course there is crummier, London,Stanstead,Cardiff,Bristol,Prestwick,anywhere in northern europe.
I notice you did not mention your alternative?What about Phuket,Bali,and Cairns or the Whitsunday islands then?As you can see I am just fond of that part of the world.Lots of guys I know like Surabaya.Wonder why?

Techman
9th Jun 2000, 02:25
Well if it have to be in PK land, I prefer CGK. To many Aussies if you work at Ngurah Rai. Although Gado Gado and Double six was alright.
What was the name of that club in SUB, where you had to go via an elevator?.

Jango
9th Jun 2000, 05:05
In the legendary words of the Eagles ....Desperados.... good club, but too much of a chicken shack these days.

Surabaya would be good, Phuket too many CX pilots, BKK, MNL,and CGK ..big city..forget it.

Lesser known Indo islands nice, but you would get bored eventually. Koh Samui ? Songhkla? hmmm...time to open that bar on the beach....

sprocket
9th Jun 2000, 09:35
Believe me,if you still have to work,it ain't paradise

:)

------------------
Its a big thing...when you look into it !

dqcolony
9th Jun 2000, 22:02
Auckland is nice, so is Hamilton ( a bit south of AKL) but a little chilier. 1 stone rainbow trout make it bearable

Jango
11th Jun 2000, 03:42
now that is a different paradise..can't beat west coast of ireland, silky smooth guiness, and some excellent fly fishing and of course the crack

sprocket
11th Jun 2000, 04:12
Jango, ...er whats "the Crack"?? (just to be sure now)
:)

------------------
Its a big thing...when you look into it !

aeroguru
11th Jun 2000, 07:38
craic?(gael)

Mad Ed
13th Jun 2000, 14:41
Italy is nice, just finished snowboarding every weekend and just started sailing in Lake Garda and eating great food and drinking great wine. I'm not just here for the life style though the girls are beautiful as well.

DISGRUNTLED LAME
18th Jun 2000, 08:02
MMMMMMM: My dream maintenance job would be any where that has enough spare parts, time ,LAME's and manuals to maintain an aircraft legally. Oh well I can always dream @¿@