PDA

View Full Version : Fleet Air Arm 6 Part Tv Series

KPax
4th Aug 2005, 13:17
New documentary starts tonight on ITV1 titled 'Fleet Air Arm' an insight into the RN Airborne Squadrons. Will watch with interest. Any ideas on which part they are covering.

Training Risky
4th Aug 2005, 13:36
If this prog displays any of the accurate research that the British media prides itself on when reporting on HM Forces.... then we can expect lots of footage of GR7s and AAC Lynx.:rolleyes:

Navaleye
4th Aug 2005, 13:37
Series eavesdropping on everyday life in the Fleet Air Arm, a fighting force that has over 150 aircraft and operates from the flight decks of more than 40 Royal Navy warships. Featuring Yeovilton's Sea Harriers on a training exercise aboard aircraft carrier HMS Invincible, and what it's like for a pilot who has to eject from a stricken aircraft.

diginagain
4th Aug 2005, 14:02
...and what it's like for a pilot who has to eject from a stricken aircraft.
Wet?

Splash Coxswain
4th Aug 2005, 14:29
Timely, given the demise of Invincible this week!!

teeteringhead
4th Aug 2005, 14:43
Any bets for how long it takes WEBFan to make a SHAR comment on this thread ......

Hueymeister
4th Aug 2005, 15:08
Are you sure?...Sky has nothing listed.

airmail
4th Aug 2005, 15:11
Neither has the Radio Times website-could it be ITV2?

Navaleye
4th Aug 2005, 15:24
Its on the Yahoo.co.uk TV guide for London. It may not be in all regions though.

Gainesy
4th Aug 2005, 15:29
What time please?

Bigtop
4th Aug 2005, 15:42
Doesn't appear to be on the ITV schedule - perhaps its gone down like 'Making Waves'!!

Archimedes
4th Aug 2005, 16:01
It's on ITV West -

Link (http://www.itvregions.com/West/Programmes/Fleet+Air+Arm.htm)

Not quite sure which ITV channel this is on Sky - 900 & something, I think for the ITV regions.

Bismark
4th Aug 2005, 16:36
This series has been running on Meridien Mon nights at 2300 for the past 3 weeks, 3 more to go. 1st week was the SHARs, 2nd the Junglies. Good fly on the wall stuff with interviews with current young aircrews.

Toxteth O'Grady
4th Aug 2005, 17:38
If you have Sky and the programme's not on in your own ITV region, you can tune to another (sounds like ITV West and ITV London are showing the series start tonight) as follows:

On your Sky remote press 'SERVICES" then press " SYSTEM SETUP'(4) then press 'ADD CHANNELS" (4).

Where 'FREQUENCY" is highlighted (in yellow):
Type in: 10906 (using remote control)
Then cursor down with green button until you highlight:
POLARISATION and change to read 'V'.
Now go to 'MBAUD' and choose '22'
Now go to 'FEC' and choose '5/6'
Now highlight 'FIND CHANNELS' and press 'SELECT'

When the channels are shown, TICK (select) the ones that you want.

Now press 'BACKUP' and select 'OTHER CHANNELS' to present a range of ITV Regions to select from.

Next, repeat the above procedure using the parameters
10832 - H - 22 - 5/6
10891 - H - 22 - 5/6

To return to 'Normal' SKY channels, multi- press backup until picture re-appears...

Note: You will NOT be able to select ALL these other channels from the normal 'All Channels" menu, so you may have to keep accessing these new regions by using 'Other Channels" (press SERVICE and 6).

:cool:

TOG

Widger
5th Aug 2005, 12:27
I've been watching it on Meridian too. Seems to be pretty well put together. The last one was following a Lynx Flight on a T42. It was all accurate stuff although obviously aimed at the enthusiast/joe public rather than most of the contributors to these forums.

KPax
5th Aug 2005, 14:06
A couple of quick questions from a non flyer. 'The FA2, the best Air Defence ac in the UK and probably the best in Europe', is that a true comment. Secondly how easy is the transition from the FA2 to the GR9, are they the same basic ac doing a slightly different job or are they completely different beasts.

Gainesy
5th Aug 2005, 14:26
Shhh... don't mention the Sh..argh! Its WEBF.:)

spocla
5th Aug 2005, 14:36
Kpax: No, its not true, not by a long way. The FA2 has some good points (the ability to launch AIM120 being the main one) but its bad points outweigh them (covered in tedious depth on other threads). Oh and I did fly them for 10 years-I loved it but I am a realist.

PPRuNeUser0211
6th Aug 2005, 14:58
NOOO someone mentioned the beast........... and yet there has been no comment for hours.... must be a friday/ weekend and they've all gone home!

althenick
6th Aug 2005, 16:08
Webf's in the RNR - He'll be at sea at the mo and therefore unable to comment :O

Junglie
8th Aug 2005, 12:47
I personally think it is a brilliant series showing the young people of today a little of the good stuff that goes on in the Fleet Air Arm today and if it gets a few more through the front door then great.

Remember that all views expressed in a 'fly on the wall' documentary will be from proud young men and women most of whom still strongly believe in the product and can be allowed a little leeway with their comments of supremacy of their own machines and organisations.

Good Stuff and at least it doesn't try to find 'an angle' to slur the subject.

petefreak
19th Aug 2005, 16:23
This weeks episode was a disgrace, the programme was suppose to be about the Fleet Air Arm not a type 42 Destroyer.
I'm not interested in the Sea Dart or 4.5 Shell or even the swimmer of the watch. It took the programme 28 Mins beffore it showed a Lynx to take off the deck, bloody rubbish.I was involved in the filming and what was shown was very poor and done nothing for the FAA

petefreak
19th Aug 2005, 16:25
This weeks episode was a disgrace, the programme was suppose to be about the Fleet Air Arm not a type 42 Destroyer.
I'm not interested in the Sea Dart or 4.5 Shell or even the swimmer of the watch. It took the programme 28 Mins beffore it showed a Lynx to take off the deck, bloody rubbish.I was involved in the filming and what was shown was very poor and done nothing for the FAA

rugmuncher
19th Aug 2005, 16:52
28 minutes to get the Lynx off the deck ?

That's not bad going!

I'm guessing the Observer didn't have any "finger trouble" and have to re-boot the piu's !;)

Devil's Aardvark 8
19th Aug 2005, 17:10
Not the most shining example of media I have ever seen I must confess. Maybe they were trying to give the FAA some sort of context and over did it a bit. I suppose that is what editors are for.

Lovely Warship though!

WE Branch Fanatic
19th Aug 2005, 18:53
Without the Sea Jet (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98152), Sea Dart will be the RN's main defence against air threats for the next few years..........so maybe that makes it relevent?

petefreak
19th Aug 2005, 19:04
I'm glad someone agreed with me, thank you Devil's
As for Sea Dart who cares! You were missing the point of the programme WE branch person it was suppose to be about the FAA and the Navies primary weapon system i.e Lynx....

Editing was dreadful nuff said

BBQ in the rain, can't beat it on the back end of a stumpy!

28 mins off the deck wasn't bad for those OOW's

NR DROOP
21st Aug 2005, 19:46
Concur we are tired of your endless rambling WEBF zzzzzzzzzzzz !

hawkchicken
27th Aug 2005, 00:00
:confused:

petefreak,

"This weeks episode was a disgrace, the programme was suppose to be about the Fleet Air Arm not a type 42 Destroyer"

Excuse me, but which part of the 'Fleet Air Arm' don't you understand??

Does the Lynx just appear over the horizon from nowhere; fully fuelled, armed and bagratted on its own?

Is it too much to acknowledge the special relationship that exists between a ship and its helicopter, and allow a little bit of light to be shone on those that support every flying minute?

petefreak
28th Aug 2005, 19:23
My point was dear friend that the programme is suppose to be about the FAA, i.e first programme was about the SHAR second was about the Junglies and the fourth was about the Hawk.The third programme which was suppose to involve the Lynx was more about the Sea Dart and SOW....

Get my point?

petefreak
9th Sep 2005, 14:33
Very average series
Nice touch to leave the series 'in memory of the Portland crew'.A nice touch, all the best Rob

Hueymeister
9th Sep 2005, 20:32
Just watched Navy Pilot on Discovery wings with the SHAR force....well done Dan/Toby et al!!!!