PDA

View Full Version : wannabe from oz

pigprodder
5th Jun 2000, 15:03
After reading the responces to tallblokes forum, I'm not too sure about this but here goes.
I'm thinking about pulling the pin on the RAAF and heading to the UK to try and make my fortune (not) in the commercial avionics world. Basically I'm trying to get some feedback on how I'd transfer my skills from the RAAF to the commercial sector in the UK. Most of my experience is on F111 radar/radio systems. I hold an AME certificate in avionics but I'm hoping to be licenced in the radio field before I head over. I've got permanent residency rights so that side of things isn't a problem. I've heard some rumours that avionics people are in demand over there but I'd like to find out if this is BS or not. I'd appreciate any info regarding job prospects with the majors or regionals given my background, conditions and any other juicy goss.
Cheers.

aeroguru
5th Jun 2000, 17:29
Hey gudday PP.Put another shrimp on the barbie mate.
Tallbloke cut up rough with some because he was looking at coming in from outside completely via uni,trying to get into the management.Something that used to rarely happen,but that the bean counters now like to do.
Before he would have had to do the rounds ,like workshops,bays,hangar checks,heavy checks,quality,tech services and line to be the fully rounded manager.
Otherwise the senior pros would not have respected him.Now they just love to push a new boy in there.
Your case is completely different
, so get your Oz ticket
,come over and convert.Register with a few reputable agencies,and I'm sure you'll get on cos good avionics blokes(I had to qualify that one),are gold dust.Do not expect to be compensated justly for your time and skills;and there are no airports here in beautiful locations.There are some good paying contracts that come up and that can get you rolling.
J.A.A./j.A.R. stuff is a confusion to most at the mo.But you may get some exzemptions.

pigprodder
6th Jun 2000, 06:16
aeroguru,
Thanks for the advice,
The impression I was getting was that avionics techs were getting BIG money (like 40 quid an hour) but I wonder were these stories reflecting engineer wages or were the rumours complete bollocks. I'm not degree qualified so I'll be doing it the hard way like everyone else. What's it like trying to get on with the major's (BA, Virgin) or the regionals? Do they hire very often and do they require a list of endorsements as long as your arm?

Cheers
PP

Jango
6th Jun 2000, 13:52
Blimey, I'm in the wrong job! 40 quid an hour is not true. You are correct though, that the greater your lic coverage, the more per hour you will get...but it will be in some pretty dire places. I know a couple of good avionics guys who just left the security of a major facility to go contracting, just for more money.

The big boys do hire quite often as their pay is not as high as contarcting, so openings will always come up. Just get into an airline someplace and not GA work, you'll never get big bucks fixing corporate and puddle jumpers... good luck

ps: tallbloke just had a typical grad attitude and was rightly shot down in flames..as most are when they venture into the real world.

[This message has been edited by Jango (edited 06 June 2000).]

pigprodder
7th Jun 2000, 14:34
Thanks for the tips

By the sound of things, the industry doesn't seem to be harder to get into than it is here. You virtually have to know the chief's daughter and own a brewery! I'll give it a crack and if it doesn't happen for me,I'll just have to spend my time visiting your pubs...mmmmmmm...S***, I've burnt the shrimp!

Mice
17th Jun 2000, 17:05
Jango,
Know a couple of guys out from UK working in BNE for BA's 744 IFE systems and they are on 32quid/hr.
Think he was referring to the contracting rates you hear bandied around, and they go to around 35 quid/hr I believe.

------------------
When all else fails, read the manual!